MTE SSC P7 issues

Softcoder

Newly Enlightened
I have MTE SCC P7. At the begining it shined quite well and was brighter than Fenix LD20. After using the flashlight for 1-2 months it started to blink sometimes and brightness falls. A few days ago I compare it again with Fenix LD20 and it was less brighter:(. The baterie is full chatged - 4.2V.
Any suggestions? What could cause such behavior?

Thanks.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Improperly heatsinking the LED, running it at a high current, and therefore, damaging the LED. The next phase for this light will probably be a Blue flash, and death.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
in addition to an over heated LED it could be high resistance at some point in the ground return. Check all threaded contacts, springs, and the switch pill for low resistance electrical conduction. Make sure the light pill is secured to the light body. Male sure the switch pill is tight and there is no thread-lube gunking up the threads. Might also want to check the switch is making proper electrical contact with the switch cap and the switch itself internally is not gunked and creating high resistance.

romteb

Enlightened
I bought one from DX, there was a bad contact on arrival, the light would not turn on everytime i pressed the button, so i disassembled it.

First surprise, unlike advertised, there was no driver in it, it was direct drive, second surprise, the star wasn't fully screwed against the heatsink, there was a noticeable gap, i fixed the connections, put some thermal paste between the star and heatsink and heatsink and body, screwed the star all the way.

The light then worked a charm and while i felt very little heat when holding the light when it arrived, the body heated A LOT after i fixed the problems...

I should add that the head of the light was glued to the body and required tremendous amount of force and heating to unscrew to the point that i nicked it pretty good...

Aaaahhh the joys of going the cheap way.

Softcoder

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for replies.

Often brightness fall after switching the modes. Now it doesn't fall it's always shines low. Hopefully the problem is in the switching pill.

Can anyone refer me to some documentation for MTE SSC P7? How to disassembled the flashlight? How to check whether everything is ok with the led?

Thanks.

Softcoder

Newly Enlightened
I tried to disassemble it, but no results. It seems that head and the body is one part. Does anybody try to do this?

Thanks.

romteb

Enlightened
On mine they were glued together, brute force and a heating gun were necessary to unscrew them.

Softcoder

Newly Enlightened
Is there any way to eject led from the body without brute force?

Also is there some tutorials how to create own torch on the SSC P7 led?
I believe that P7 could shine much more brighter than inside MTE flashlight.

Last edited:

Alistair

Newly Enlightened
Also is there some tutorials how to create own torch on the SSC P7 led?

Good question. I would also like to see a drawing of all the components of an LED flashlight with each part labeled and showing how they interconnect.
It would be very helpful for a newcomer to the hobby as a lot of the technical stuff is over my head. Can anyone help?