So what's good at Target?

dandism

Enlightened
I have a Target gift card so I'm looking to purchase a decent flashlight from them for a camping trip this weekend. I noticed they have a good selection of Inova and Dorcy flashlights as well as some others (River Rock, Life Gear, Energizer). I'm not looking for a specific size or brightness, mostly a good bang for buck kind of deal. What do you guys suggest? My only restriction is it has to be powered by the more common batteries (no lithiums).

Thanks,

Dan

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yeah get that lantern and read up on the Inovas here before you buy. Ah but I see the no lithiums part.
thinking.gif
Thinking

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an X0 and I love it. It is very durable but only has one mode. It gives you a momentary on option as well.

I'd say I would get the new Maglite 2AA flashlight with the multimode, and strobe functions. Or a Maglite 2D Rebel.

I recommend Maglite because I know it will last you a very very long time. I couldn't say the same for the other brand's durability...

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I don't see a size limit so take a look at the 2 C cell High Gear. It has at least one good review and it's not very expensive.

burntoshine

Enlightened
no one mention the energizer aa or 2aa with variable brightness??

i saw those on saturday; i too was wondering why no one else had mentioned them. they looked very intriguing. i almost bought one. from what i remember, there were 3 different kinds. i think there's one that uses 4 cells. AA or AAA, my memory won't tell me.

pretty cool looking!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
The Brinkmann Q-Beam Big Max Rechargeable 3 Million MaxPower spot/flood light $40 at Target is an excellent spotlight, and is extremely powerful with amazing throw.

I know you are not specifically looking for a large spotlight like this, but I am just making this suggestion in case you are considering getting a spotlight for any reason, as it would be a great choice. :)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, the little River Rock 2AAA light is still hard to beat from a bang/buck standpoint. Even after acquiring many other more powerful, more complex, (and more expensive!) lights, that one still impresses me with its efficiency and simplicity. It's like 10 bucks! I mean, how can you go wrong!

DaveG

Enlightened
I got one at Costco including the new headlamp for 35 bucks, my target wants 39 for the AA light alone, IMHO it is not worth that.
It is not a bad light but you can do much better with 39 bucks elsewhere.
I was looking at this combo at Costco,so far are you happy with it for the price.Like you say $18.each vs $39. for the flashlight alone seems like a good deal.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
As hard as it is to admit, the new Mini Maglite LEDs (with the Rebels) are surprising good. I just picked one up at my local Walmart (the 2AA model), but I think I've seen them at my local Target as well. For ~$21, it is definitely a good light.

There is a running discussion found here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221793

Have fun on your camping trip!

-Robert

Skyeye

Enlightened
Just get a couple of Brinkmann Armormax 1AA's. At $14 they are more than adequate for any camping trip. Small,powerful,fairly water resistant.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
no one mention the energizer aa or 2aa with variable brightness??

I got the 2aa as a gift. It's comfortable and simple to use. Perhaps more expensive than similarly capable flashlights available online, but I'm very pleased with it. It's the flashlight I keep in my car as a loaner (lights with complicated UIs are not good loaners, but this one can be used by anyone). Worst case, in an emergency, I'll be able to pillage the 2 lithium AA batteries out of it for my QAAw.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
As hard as it is to admit, the new Mini Maglite LEDs (with the Rebels) are surprising good. I just picked one up at my local Walmart (the 2AA model), but I think I've seen them at my local Target as well. For ~$21, it is definitely a good light.

There is a running discussion found here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221793

Have fun on your camping trip!

-Robert
i agree. i think the new minimag is the best all around dept store light now. i've never seen it at target(just walmart).
they do have some fancy energizer one for like $35 or life gear stuff.

dandism

Enlightened
I went to check them out yesterday and spent a good 20 mins reading their specs. The inovas seem to be the best quality followed by the energizers, but both are more expensive and on paper, perform less than some of the cheaper flashlights. I think I am going to get the 2C life gear light. The AA life gear looks pretty good too as does the 160 lumens 3AAA Dorcy. :thinking:

dementedlemur

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the single AA Life+Gear from target yesterday and I'm pretty impressed so far. Has a reverse clicky that seems like it should be free from accidental activation when carried in a pocket. The 80 lumen claim seems pretty accurate and the hotspot is nice but not too tight. It is a little larger than my Leatherman LGX200 (supposedly a Fenix L1T rebrand), but a good deal at $20.
The only bad thing I noticed is that the rubber grip on mine slides around abit, especially when unscrewing the tailcap.

bkumanski

Enlightened
I bought the River Rock 3W 2C light from Target recently. It isn't regulated (pretty sure or it is poor regulation) so I use NiMH batteries and this makes it flat. OP reflector for good overall use and it is a fairly well made light. Forward clickie with momentary on too :naughty:. Not bad for $26. Good bang for the buck.