My new toy..

jasonp

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a Surefire U2 Ultra two days ago for duty use. I wondered how it compared to the Fenix flashlights that I belt carry. Price wise (vs. Lumens), the surefire cannot compare in my opinion. Fit and finish definitely goes to Surefire. I carry a Streamlight Stinger LED, Fenix L2D and a modded c-cell maglight with a drop in LED for duty use. For whatever reason, I always find myself going to my L2D with 2x AA's. The brightness to weight ratio is just so dang good on the fenix but I figured the U2 would give it a run for it's money. While the lumens on the U2 state 100 max and the L2D state 180 (turbo), the U2 seems brighter but not by much. The surefire is built like a tank and I'm sure this will be a career long light but I think based on my usage over the last two days and the cost of CR123's, it will be a backup light that stays on my belt. The biggest plus of the Surefire over the fenix is that it's American made :)
original.jpg

JP

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice One!

The surefires are really nice lights.

As for your 123 consumtion...buy a U2 tube that accepts 18650 rechargables.
I hear it gets Loong runtime on an 18650.

I have some 18650 tubes for sale in the marketplace should you want one.

The U2 is a nice light and the 6 levels with selector ring is great!

Enjoy!

I was going to welcome you to CPF as I saw you have 19 posts....but you've been here quite a while!!:wave:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh-oh...
I hope this isn't going to be brand vs brand thread. :duh2:

jasonp

Newly Enlightened
Nice One!

The surefires are really nice lights.

As for your 123 consumtion...buy a U2 tube that accepts 18650 rechargables.
I hear it gets Loong runtime on an 18650.

I have some 18650 tubes for sale in the marketplace should you want one.

The U2 is a nice light and the 6 levels with selector ring is great!

Enjoy!

I was going to welcome you to CPF as I saw you have 19 posts....but you've been here quite a while!!:wave:

I'm mainly a reader so not much posts. I may get one of the tubes from you once I recover from the initial price. :)

wirehair

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I know what your talking about with the brightness to weight ratio. While my Olight M30 is supper bright I tend to end up with my Fenix LD20 in my hand when I go out. The AA format + overall feel means I like the smaller light.:twothumbs