Looking for night walk light - possibly fenix tk11 r2 or tk40

cmoazz

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone what's up!?

This is my very first post, I hope it's in the right section. My dilemma tonight is that I need a flashlight to use on my night walks around the neighborhood with my dog. The real primary reason is that recently we've had some scumbag breaking into cars at night. Also, my neighborhood is on a lake and everything not near the street lights is almost pitch black, and I will be needing a good flashlight soon for the hurricane season(I live in Miami Dade County) when we lose power.

I seem to have a liking for the Fenix brand, so I wanted to know if these 2 models would be sufficient enough for what I need. I don't want the beam to be too concentrated because then I can't see the surrounding area. I don't want it to be a weak beam either, if something is there, I don't want to have any doubts about it. I would like to have about a 10 foot diameter at about a 50-75 foot distance, I totally guestimating those numbers.

TK11 R2 - I like the size and portability of it, I can see myself taking this thing in my car and to other ventures other than my night walks. I like that it can use the rechargeable 18650 batteries. (Not that I really know anything about that but I hear it's the best kind.)

TK40 - I like the power and longer lasting hours it has. Size is still relatively well, I know it's not that portable but it's basically "normal" sized. I'm 6'2 with big hands anyway so it will probably be a better fit. Also, I like that it can use the rechargeable eneloop batteries, which again I'm assuming are the best of its kind. :confused:

I'm very open to suggestions of other brands, and any info you will be willing to post, thanks all!

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are considering 2 very good lights ...

Expensive , but good . Lack of reply may indicate you have already chosen well .

Eagletac ? May be worth a look ?

thedeske

Enlightened
I walk with the TK40 sometimes. The flood will light almost the entire peripheral wherever you point it. Everyone knows what the spot does. You're right, it's just smaller than a 2D.

I use a PD30 sometimes, which is plenty for any walk, but the 40 has the kind of power you have to be careful with. You can actually disturb a house with it, or blind an oncoming car ;)

Toaster

Enlightened
Both the TK11 R2 and TK40 would be more than adequate for your needs. If this is to be your primary light, I think you'd appreciate the smaller size and lighter weight of the TK11. Carrying around the TK40 all night in a power outage could get a little tiring. The TK11 on the other hand can easily be slipped into a pocket.

If you decide on a light in the TK11 class, I suggest you go with the Eagletac T100C2 MKII instead. See reviews of the light here and here. There's also plenty of discussion about it here on this forum if you do some searching. Reasons why I recommend it over the TK11

1. Better performance on 18650 battery. The T100C2 is fully regulated on 18650 whereas with the TK11 you can expect declining output at some point depending on how lucky you get with the vf of the led.

2. T100C2 is a bit larger than the TK11 and will probably fit your hands better.

3. Has an optional tailcap that allows tailstanding so you can use the light in candle mode. Handy for power outages.

4. Smoother beam pattern than the TK11, and also has an available OP reflector for slightly more floody beam.

5. It's a lot cheaper.

You can pick up the Eagletac T100C2 MKII with OP reflector and tailstanding tailcap here (code CPF gives you a 5% discount).

gilly

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!! You have picked two excellent lights and I'm sure you would be very happy with both. The TK11R2 is excellent. The only thing I'd say it lacks is a lower low mode. The TK40 is great but is rather 'chunky' and all those AA cells are a bit of a pain...

I am a big fan of Jetbeam lights. The Jet III-M is a great light, very comparable to the TK11 but more versatile. It has two modes - high and a user-settable mode. This second mode (accessed when the head of the light is slightly loosened) is easy to set and can go from only .2 lumens (which will run for over a week) to maximum. Very nice build quality and feels great in the hand. They now have an R2 version out and also offer a warm tint (more yellow than white that many like). Check out Selfbuilt's great review here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/208280

Other Jetbeam lights you may want to check out are:

RRT Raptor 2: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237586

M1X: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/230019

Not trying to confuse you - just trying to point out another great brand of lights...

Buy more than one!

Have fun :twothumbs

cmoazz

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks for the suggestions I'll be checking them later on cause I'm on my iPhone now. The last person said that he believed the TK11 R2 didn't have a low enough low setting. Which if I remember correctly is 60 lumens. This is not my concern at all! In fact I hope 60 lumens is strong because I'm worried that the light will be too weak. It's a shame that I can't see or check out the power of lumens in person, that would solve all my problems.

Jay611j

Enlightened
I just received my TK40 four days ago, and let me say THIS THING IS BRIGHT! It looks as bright or brighter than my 500,000CP spotlight. Of course that could be due to the color temp of the TK40 playing tricks on my eyes. Anyways, I carry the TK40 in my back pocket of my jeans when I take walks at night and I haven't had any issues with doing so. Also the run time is amazing, going on the fourth day (using turbo mode) with the same set of Eneloops! Good luck! :thumbsup:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned two very good lights so I will just throw another alternative out there the MG Mini II R2 has lots of flood with still very good flood. Nice thing about it is you can buy the optional turbo head for $10 and turn it into more of a thrower if you so desire. It runs on 18650 battery.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-152/**NEW**-MG-L-dsh-MiniI-II/Detail

Look at a Olight M30 for very bright flood and medium throw. Uses all types of lithium battery's including rechargeables.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-triton.html

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thanks for the suggestions I'll be checking them later on cause I'm on my iPhone now. The last person said that he believed the TK11 R2 didn't have a low enough low setting. Which if I remember correctly is 60 lumens. This is not my concern at all! In fact I hope 60 lumens is strong because I'm worried that the light will be too weak. It's a shame that I can't see or check out the power of lumens in person, that would solve all my problems.

there actually isn't much difference between turbo and low.. :(

ateallthepies

Enlightened
TK11 R2 at a range of 60 feet on low...

009.jpg

Now on high...

005.jpg

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either light is a winner. Only other thought I might have would be to wait a bit and see how some of these new high power offerings play out.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the TK11 R2 and TK40 would be more than adequate for your needs. If this is to be your primary light, I think you'd appreciate the smaller size and lighter weight of the TK11. Carrying around the TK40 all night in a power outage could get a little tiring. The TK11 on the other hand can easily be slipped into a pocket.

If you decide on a light in the TK11 class, I suggest you go with the Eagletac T100C2 MKII instead. See reviews of the light here and here. There's also plenty of discussion about it here on this forum if you do some searching. Reasons why I recommend it over the TK11

1. Better performance on 18650 battery. The T100C2 is fully regulated on 18650 whereas with the TK11 you can expect declining output at some point depending on how lucky you get with the vf of the led.

2. T100C2 is a bit larger than the TK11 and will probably fit your hands better.

3. Has an optional tailcap that allows tailstanding so you can use the light in candle mode. Handy for power outages.

4. Smoother beam pattern than the TK11, and also has an available OP reflector for slightly more floody beam.

5. It's a lot cheaper.

You can pick up the Eagletac T100C2 MKII with OP reflector and tailstanding tailcap here (code CPF gives you a 5% discount).
+1

I would go for the T100C2 MKII over the TK11 for the reasons mentioned above.

The TK40 is big for walking unless you truly are a big guy. It is nice and bright :huh: but may be a pain in the neck to be carrying around with you. I still really like it though and my only minor complaint is that there is a split second delay to switch it on after pressing the button - not a really big deal though.

:welcome:

cmoazz

Newly Enlightened
Ok I looked around at the other brands and sizes and I've come to a conclusion. I will be ordering the TK40. I like it's lumen options and beam to flood ratio. Also it's battery life, and the fact that I can use eneloops with it. I'll be placing my order tomorrow, cheapest I found was $130.XX shipped. Well, from a trustable site anyway. There were cheaper ones from some home made looking sites I didn't wanna deal with ;)

Can't wait to get it!! Thanks everyone for your input.

Oh I already ordered the eneloops. 8 x AA and a 4x charger $32.XX shipped and it will arrive Monday. How long does it take to charge them?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
tk40 is a nice pick. You can get batteries everywhere... unlike the tk11.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
If you're having problem with scumbag, a 6D Maglite with LED drop-in would be a good bet. With 6D cells, you'll get plenty of run-time with a bright beam. If you do need to defend yourself, a 6D Maglite is more durable than most baseball bat out there. Legend has it, Maglite designed it as a bat first and a light feature was just a bonus. Chances are you'll not need to use it since most people think twice about attacking a guy walking around with a 6D Maglite for he may possibly pack heat.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
If you're having problem with scumbag, a 6D Maglite with LED drop-in would be a good bet. .

I had both a 6D and a 3C years ago (actually still have the 3C) when I lived in a really bad area.

The 3C is IMO a much better choice if you had to rely on the light as a weapon - unless you've got some insane arm strength you can blind someone and strike MUCH quicker one handed with a 3C, and it's still going to deliver a massive hit.

Another thing about the 6D - I'd be somewhat worried about the possibility of killing someone with that. It is after all like you said, a "baseball bat".

All this said I've never actually had to strike anyone with a light...

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I looked around at the other brands and sizes and I've come to a conclusion. I will be ordering the TK40. I like it's lumen options and beam to flood ratio. Also it's battery life, and the fact that I can use eneloops with it. I'll be placing my order tomorrow, cheapest I found was $130.XX shipped. Well, from a trustable site anyway. There were cheaper ones from some home made looking sites I didn't wanna deal with ;)

Can't wait to get it!! Thanks everyone for your input.

Oh I already ordered the eneloops. 8 x AA and a 4x charger $32.XX shipped and it will arrive Monday. How long does it take to charge them?
Good choice. I love my TK40. The eneloops are the only way to go. They will come charged (around 80%). The standard charger will charge 4 batteries in 10 hours and automatically switch off after 16 hours.

If you have a fast charger, they take around 1 1/2 hours to charge 4 batteries.

Good luck with your new light.

James...

BTW $130.00 shipped - good price!!!:thumbsup:

cmoazz

Newly Enlightened
Hahaha. I don't think I'll be using the light as a weapon. I walk with a 110lb American Bulldog, and I myself as you already know am 6'2 and 215lb. I can fight too, I'm not one of those big for nothing types.

I can't wait to use my light! It should be a great starter light I'll be able to see a variety of lumen levels for my next puchase :)

Glad to hear I got it at a good price too.