EagleTac P20C2 Photo Review

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For submittal to the reviews subforum.

Under review is the EagleTac P20C2.

IMG_0707.JPG

The model I'm reviewing has the Q4 Neutral option installed.

Here's a breakdown of the light:
IMG_0713.JPG

The bezel unscrews from the base of the head, and allows access to the LED and reflector. It would be easy to pot the LED and use the light as a candle.
IMG_0714.JPG

The bezel ring screws out from the front of the bezel easily, to allow for filter installation. The reflector screws in from the back, and holds the lens against a seal. I'm not at all impressed with the smooth reflector. The beam it gives is one of the ring-filled I've ever seen. EagleTac should really invest in some light orange peel reflectors.
IMG_0715.JPG

The switch components. The switch itself is forward clicky, though the activation point is nearly latched on.
IMG_0716.JPG

The body and tailcap.
IMG_0717.JPG

The switching mechanism. A spilt ring is pretty common to see on an EagleTac. The second metal ring is reverse polarity protection.
IMG_0718.JPG

The accessories: Spare o-rings, a diffusion filter, a GITD button, lubricant, and a holster. I'm not at all impressed with EagleTac's filter system. The plastic holders screw in in place of the metal bezel ring. I think it would have been worthwhile for EagleTac to make their filters with a metal ring as well, or just as a disk that can be inserted under the metal bezel ring.
IMG_0723.JPG

The holster is nice, and seems pretty sturdy. It can be threaded onto your belt, or attached with a clip via the D-ring.
EagleTac includes a small container of silicone grease. It's nice seeing a manufacturer throw in a flashlight maintenance staple like lube for a change. Their lube was a little to thick for my tastes though, so I cleaned it up and re-lubed it with Krytox grease. The twist switching works much more smoothly now.
IMG_0724.JPG

In conclusion, this is a fairly handy, and definitely well made light. The machining is top notch. The levels have been well-picked and are all useful. I'm a little disappointed that low is not accessible from off though. My biggest pet peeve with this light is the smooth reflector though. Why EagleTac doesn't switch to an OP reflector is beyond me, because the beam pattern of the light makes you wonder if it's worth the price you pay for it. Still the light seems very reliable and I would recommend it as a hunting/car light, where reliability and usefulness are more important than beam pattern.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The T20 version has an op reflector and still produces rings for some reason

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of the ring problem is that fact they're using a Cree LED. An OP reflector tends to clean most of the artifacts up though.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
From looking at the pictures, the T20C2 OP reflector doesn't seem to do as good of a job as the T10L reflector, which nearly removes all traces of CREE rings.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you give us some beamshots? I would like to see a white wall beamshot with this light from one meter.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll get some beamshots when I get some more free time. I don't have a white wall anywhere in my house though. I might be able to find a white ceiling though :thinking:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an OP reflector on the way, so I'll be able to post some comparative beamshots when that comes in.

yowzer

Enlightened
I just got the neutral white AA version today (As well as a P100A2). Haven't had a chance to try it out in the dark yet, but so far I'm liking it a lot.

yowzer

Enlightened
I just got the neutral white AA version today (As well as a P100A2). Haven't had a chance to try it out in the dark yet, but so far I'm liking it a lot.

After some playing around (But not in serious dark; have to get out camping this weekend for that test), I like the P20 a lot better than the P100. The additional low mode is nice to have, and it just seems more solidly built. Cons: The strobe is too easy to trigger, especially when a lot of brief momentary on usage. :sick2: UI wise, I'd prefer a 'tight bezel: general, loose: low, twist/untwist: turbo' setup. And no strobe. The P100 is definitely the winner in that category.

Unlike the original poster, I'm not noticing excessive rings. There are the typical Cree ones, but it's not enough to bug me. I also like the diffuser and don't care that it's plastic -- but I'm also probably going to end up leaving off the metal strike bezel, as I don't care for the things. Or strobe modes.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
I am still looking to see if someone will see it with the OP reflector standard.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone give specs of the P20 size, length/diameter please? I have not been able to find any info on my own yet.

The P100C2 was 4.9''x .85 with 1'' head.
I am hoping the P20 is around the same size.

Side by side pics would be very appreciated if someone has them.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is in Canada right now, with my brother. When he gets back with it, I'll take some measurements. :thumbsup:

DigMe

Enlightened
I didn't realize that the T100C2 was that much bigger than the P100C2 and the P20C2.

brad

radu1976

Enlightened
P20C2 looks awesome.
It seems to have a better quality than the 100C2 series.
I believe it's using the same circuit like the T20C2 : so it's brighter than P100C2/T100C2 but it's not regulated on 18650 - only on CR123/RCR123s and the runtime is shorter.
The additional brightness comes with a cost :shrug: