Joby Gorillatorch (from the Gorillapod people)

fizzwinkus

Newly Enlightened
I swore off lights for another year (so far, only a Surefire L2 and now LX2) but this one looks very innovative.

unknown cree led
only 65 lumens max
uses three AA batteries
variable output twisty
claimed 20-80 hour runtimes

plastic housing
gorillapod feet with magnetic tips
looks a bit like an octopus.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on it. Hope it's safe for a first thread!

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
Yay zombie threads.

Saw one of these yesterday. It looks like it's boasting a XP-E, and ramping brightness! The packaging didn't say, but given the ramping, I'm betting it's regulated, which is still all too rare in lights sold in brick&mortar stores. Clever little spotlight, nice for flexible hands-free lighting.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
That actually looks quite nice. I think it really needs a headband accesory to make it into a headlamp though, then I'd be all over this.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I have one and rather like it. Only gripe is that the lreflector is smooth instead of a LOP. I think it's slight overpriced, probably because of the Gorillapod.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it looks good. I own one of the Gorillapods so I could imagine that the Gorillatorch would be similarly versatile. It's a "Cree LED" driven by 3AA, which means it's probably direct drive with variable resistor or PWM, which is not necessarily a bad thing for this type of light. Price is reasonable IMO.

What cracks me up is that "Joby" sounds like "jobby" which is Scottish slang for something else...

Last edited:

LeifUK

Enlightened
I think it looks good. I own one of the Gorillapods so I could imagine that the Gorillatorch would be similarly versatile. It's a "Cree LED" driven by 3AA, which means it's probably direct drive with variable resistor or PWM, which is not necessarily a bad thing for this type of light. Price is reasonable IMO.

What cracks me up is that "Joby" sounds like "jobby" which is Scottish slang for something else...

It's also English slang for something else. Probably the same something else. Now why when I think of "jobby" do I think of Billy Connelly?