Your picks for flashlight(s) of the year

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the year is coming to end and I just wanted to know what you guys think if you could give out flashlight of the year awards what would they be?

Whatever category you choose, best light for buck, best overall, best alkaline light, best lithium, etc. etc.

I have some picks and though two of them are fairly inexpensive by a flashaholics standards, price really did not persuade me to choose them. Or rather these two are not a personal "bang for buck" award just my two favorites.

1. 4sevens Quark Tactical 123x2- nice all around light I like the loud clicky sometimes I think it has to much spill and my eyes don't like it as much for some reason but I still love the light.

2. Eagletac T100C2- Heck of a nice tactical light that many I've read carry EDC. I really think the quality is great and the light has a nice balance in the hand. Awsome thrower with 3 hour regulated runtime on one 18650 battery. Can't say enough about the light. Oh and did I mention the price.

3. MG Mini II R2- My first MG was a nice surprise, equipped with the optional turbo head it out throws anything I have including the T100C2.
Nice finish and love the knurling, really small for a 18650 light even with the turbo head.The Mini I received has a nice white beam. I'm very found of the tailcap design and the way the switch and boot feel against my thumb. It to like the T100 is very well priced .

4. Olight M30- This one is on my list for a few simple reasons. Its bright, can run on like four different types of batteries which makes it flexible and pretty small without the extender tube with the right battery's. Even with it it's smaller than alot of MC-E lights. I really like the quality and knurling makes it feel nice in the hand. I will admit I'm not found of the UI, don't like the tiny switch on the tailcap for changing modes. This still doesn't stop it from tops on my list.

5. Zebralight H501- So I guess this would be a Headlamp award, humm not sure since it can be used like a hand held with a pocket clip.
Simple reasons I like it, many of you already know. It runs on one AA seems like forever, I almost forget I'm wearing it's so light and comfortable. Nice flooder for up close work.

6. Fenix PD30+ The size and UI I love with the updated emitter and more knurling with very nice clip.

7. PD10- Small very bright and nice twisty with added knurling, good throw for such a small light.

So there it is my favorite new lights this lights.

How about you? Any favorites this year?

The Votes as of Jan. 20

Surefire LX2- 18 votes
Maratac/iTP A3- 12 votes
Fenix TK40- 11 votes
Zebralight H501- 6 votes
Olight M30- 4 votes
Jetbeam RR1-T- 4 votes
Stanley HID- 4 votes
Quark Mini123- 6 votes
Quark AA- 3 votes
Peak Eiger- 3 votes
Quark 123 - 4 votes
Liteflux LF2XT- 6 votes
Eagletac T100C2- 3 votes
Solarforce L2- 3 votes
Trunite Catapult- 3 votes
McGizmo Sapphire- 3 votes
47 Preon- 3 votes
5.11 Light for Life- 2 votes

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

LiteFlux ... LF2XT

We waited a long time for a versatile/programmable "AAA" size light .

Tells ya the battery voltage and accepts 10440 battery .

It's very bright and will turn itself off after 3 minutes .

Has a very quiet , good feeling , piston type switch .

And it can be locked-out for reliable pocket carry .

Also light enough for key-chain or neck lanyard .

Would be just perfect with a "WC" bin emitter .

Now available in TiTanium with Tritium vial .

5 clicks+PH changes UI operation method .

4 clicks to get to momentary button use .

Last edited:

MWClint

Enlightened
1. Peak Eiger - so many options, it's bound to please. single level twisty,
momentary pushbutton, 3 types of metals(SS, brass and HA), 8 power
options to choose from..wide+medium optics or standard reflector...
colored, neutral and cool rebel 100's..knurled or smooth bodies...can use
1xAAA, 2xAAA, 1xN, 2xN..alkaline, nimh, lithium primary or 10440, 10280,

2. McGizmo Sapphire. nuff said. combination of the classic arc light engine
coupled with Don's beautiful Ti design. great light.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
my nominees:
Best AA:
- Nitecore EZAA Neutral White (my edc)
- ZebraLight H501

Best 18650:
- EagleTac T100C2 MKII (my edc)

Best CR123A
- Quark 123² Tactical Neutral White

Last but not least...
Most Innovative (aka craziest idea)
- Fenix TK40 :nana:

now pick up your phone and vote... ... ... the number on your screen... ... ... :crackup:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
wait the year is almost over? you mean the fiscal year? or the julian year? I thought I had 3 months! well if i hafta vote now its going to be for one thats not out yet, the quark titanium with the CREE XPG R4, i have the regular quark 123 and LOVE it, I can't wait to see what this latest innovation from 4sevens will do. (and an "everyman" price too!)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
TooManyGizmos nailed it. The LiteFlux LF2XT. This light should set the standard for multilevel 1AAA's, with maybe a couple exceptions.

Geoff

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'm going to play the grump :scowl: here and ask is this a popularity contest like last years "Light of the Year" or will there some set criteria for judging the light?
I'm happy for it to be run either way but please acknowledge that it is a popularity contest if that's the way it's run.

I also agree with Search
It's August 19, my year isn't nearly over.
Norm

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have it...yet, and it may not be the baddest one on the block this year, lumen/runtime wise, but from what I've seen, the GX/X-FYL series, with the new KL3 head...3 settings, plus the ability to change the diffusion filters on the GX-FYL models...no other lights offers that, AFAIK.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to play the grump :scowl: here and ask is this a popularity contest like last years "Light of the Year" or will there some set criteria for judging the light?
I'm happy for it to be run either way but please acknowledge that it is a popularity contest if that's the way it's run.

I also agree with Search
Norm

No criteria just simply your picks for best lights you got this year. I guess my original intentions was lights released this year but feel free to post whatever you want it's all for fun and honestly to see if there is something I have somehow missed so far this year.

As for a popularity if alot of people like a light and it makes it popular I guess thats the intentions for the said fake award. I see Liteflux AAA is so far very popular.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Maratac AAA
Quark series
Jetbeam Raptor

LX2
From what I've read. I still don't have one.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'd say the TK40 is under-represented; a 600+ lumen light that runs on common batteries for the layman is certainly a big step, even if its not layman-priced.

But the big one would be the Stanley HID3000; ~3000 lumens for $70 AND it's sold in the laymans store?! That's a game-changer regardless of runtime..

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the TK40 is under-represented; a 600+ lumen light that runs on common batteries for the layman is certainly a big step, even if its not layman-priced.

But the big one would be the Stanley HID3000; ~3000 lumens for $70 AND it's sold in the laymans store?! That's a game-changer regardless of runtime..

I just finished reading about the Stanley and I want one. I hope Walmart still has them.