Novatac EDC 85P Issue (Blue Tint)

Packet-Storm

Newly Enlightened
While out on a camping trip to the ADK Mountains (here in NY) I noticed another problem crop up with my Novatac EDC 85P. The light works fine in normal mode (default), high mode (click, click), and low mode (click, click, click). There is an issue on Ultra mode (click, press). The LED goes from a nice warm white color to a very harsh blue color when running on Ultra mode (after about 6 seconds). I quickly switched off of Ultra mode, because the LED seems to be burning out and I don't want to damage the light further.

This happens with multiple batteries:

AW Brand CR-123 (3.75volts)
AW Brand CR-123 (4.05volts)
Trustfire CR-123 (4.09volts)

I have run through the manual and performed a Factor Reset and the problem still occurs. When the blue shift has started (in ultra mode) I can switch back to the normal or high brightness levels and the color returns to a nice normal warm tone.

Thoughts??? I have sent an email to the NovaTac support team and am waiting to hear what they say.

My previous issue was fixed straight up by NovaTac. Their support was excellent.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2834178

Packet-Storm

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it is strange. I can count about 6 or 7 seconds, then I can see the color go blue. If I ramp back down to a lower setting the nice warm/natural color comes back (no fading, it comes back immediately). When the light cools, I can see the normal color on MAX again (for about 6-7 seconds).

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you change to max does the output goes up immediately, then the color change?

I duno, maybe the emitter wasn't glued down properly and overheated on max? :confused:

Gatsby

Enlightened
IIRC very overdriven Seoul P4's have the propensity to tint shift - the "angry blue" you hear referenced from time to time. However, an 85P should be far from driven at that kind of level - which leads me to believe either the driver is malfunctioning and way overdriving the emitter on max, or the emitter is malfunctioning. Either way it sounds like an issue Novatac needs to remedy with a board or emitter fix.

Just my .02...

Packet-Storm

Newly Enlightened
When you change to max does the output goes up immediately, then the color change?

I duno, maybe the emitter wasn't glued down properly and overheated on max? :confused:

The power output goes up right away (when MAX mode is engaged) and it looks normal too. This is how the light should function. After about 7 seconds the blue shift starts. If the light is really cold, it takes a bit longer (maybe 10-12 seconds). The light gets really hot too.

Gatsby said:
IIRC very overdriven Seoul P4's have the propensity to tint shift - the "angry blue" you hear referenced from time to time. However, an 85P should be far from driven at that kind of level - which leads me to believe either the driver is malfunctioning and way overdriving the emitter on max, or the emitter is malfunctioning. Either way it sounds like an issue Novatac needs to remedy with a board or emitter fix.

Just my .02...

Ok, that does make sense the the P4 is being over-driven and is shifting to "angry blue". What doesn't make sense is why the 85P is doing it. This light shouldn't be going whacky after such a short time. It would really suck to have an expensive unit like this with only being able to go up to 30 lumens. I carry it every day and it is very handy. Granted I don't often go up to the ultra/max setting, so it was disappointing to see this happen.

Packet-Storm

Newly Enlightened
Well, Novatac thinks it is a loose heatsink problem. I've got an RMA and am seding back for repairs.

I've purchased a couple of the DX lights and while they worked ok, they never really functioned past say 95%. With those lights, I am SOL. It is great to have a company stand behind their products and fix them when they need it. So far, I am quite impressed with the customer service I have gotten from Novatac. Hopefully this repair is more of the same.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have an 85P and it most definitely should not be doing this. Thermal management and/or the calibration sounds out of what if it's getting really hot and overdriving the P4. I don't run mine for extended periods on max but the light is built to handle it and to step down if it gets too hot.

Unfortunately it sounds like you're going to have to get some help from Novatac on this one if a factory reset doesn't do the trick.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Well, Novatac thinks it is a loose heatsink problem. I've got an RMA and am seding back for repairs.

I've purchased a couple of the DX lights and while they worked ok, they never really functioned past say 95%. With those lights, I am SOL. It is great to have a company stand behind their products and fix them when they need it. So far, I am quite impressed with the customer service I have gotten from Novatac. Hopefully this repair is more of the same.

I'm glad you're getting it fixed and that they are taking care of you!

My HDS and Novatac lights have been (knock on wood) completely reliable but things do happen even with higher end lights... the key is how the issue is resolved.

Packet-Storm

Newly Enlightened
Yeah - Every brand of product will have some trouble. The question becomes, is the customer service dept. going to take care of you. So far Novatac has been good.

Packet-Storm

Newly Enlightened
Re: Novatac EDC 85P Issue RESOLVED

Well, I just got a package in the mail from Novatac today. These guys rock. While it did take a few weeks to get things fixed up, they really came through. I was sent a brand new EDC 120P as a replacement to the light that had issues. No fussing, arguing, complaining... just excellent customer service. These guys are great.