E1B on AW RCR123 pulses

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my brand new E1B and when I use my AW 123, the lght pulses. It dims just a bit and then goes back to normal. It is like a heartbeat. Can I not use R123 with an E1B?

jahxman

Enlightened
I just got my brand new E1B and when I use my AW 123, the lght pulses. It dims just a bit and then goes back to normal. It is like a heartbeat. Can I not use R123 with an E1B?

I think this is a well known behavior for Surefire 1 cell heads - My E1L will do the same thing with a RCR123.

You just have to use a lower voltage battery - either a primary, a LiFePo4, or a RCR123 that's been run a little bit, down to 3.6 volts or so.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1B does the same, the voltage of the cell is too high. :(

One possible solution is to use 3.0V RCR123 batteries. They have not much capacity though. :mad:

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm I rather not use primaries. If I got a E2DL head it should work ok on one cell RCR123? What is a lifepo4? Do you mean a Li-Po? But my E1B did cons with 50 Rayovac Cr123. I was gonna use them for my other surefires.

jahxman

Enlightened
Yeah, the E2 head will work OK with RCR123.

LiFePo4 is Li-Po, yes.

There are also some LI-Co2 (li-ion) RCR123s which are 3.0 V, instead of 3.6 volts. These should work; I have no experience with them though, you need a special charger for them to not overcharge them.

Viper715

Enlightened
AW blue cell LiFePo4 work very well in the E1B. A E2DL head will work fine with 3.7VRCR 123 on the E1B body but you lose some of the brightness of the E2DL but it is brighter in my experience than the E1B head. But you loose runtime for that brightness and the light begins to dim fairly soon after turn on. The E2DL head does not maintain regulation on a 3.7 volt battery. That being said I do like the E2DL head on the E1B. For charging AW sells the ultrafire charger as well as Batteryjunction and others that is small and white and charges 2*123 cells. It has a switch on the side to charge two 3.0V or two 3.7V. I think it is the wf-138 but I don't know if that is right.

xenonk

Enlightened
LiFePo4 is Li-Po, yes.
That's actually "PO" as it refers to the elements Phosphorous and Oxygen in the battery chemistry.

LiFePO4 = Lithium (Li) + Iron (Fe) + Phosphate (PO4)
PO4 = Phosphorous (P) + Oxygen (O) x 4

Polymer is a separate design choice.