Litemania "Wonder-cuits" - anyone try these?

Hill

Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone had experience using the wonder-cuits from Litemania. It's small 17mm diameter and ability to drive an MC-E at fixed currents would work nicely in a RC-C3 MC-E mod I am working on.

Hill

mash.m

Enlightened
hi, it is "only" a pwm controller with current limiting. so you will get no constant current about the complete batterylife. it is like a direct drive.

markus

Hill

Enlightened
That explains why it's so inexpensive. I am really looking for a board that is small (~16 mm dia) and provides constant current of ~1500 mA.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the KD ProductID=1640, SKU S002982 driver. You will have to change out the sense resistors to go from 1A out to 1.5A out. I have one with sense resistors R250 and R560 to give a nominal 1445mA out. The driver works well running a 2S2P MC-E using 2x18650. Mine runs in regulation when Vin > 7V. Above 12V, there seems to be some odd instability, so I would run the driver with 2xLi-ion up to 4xLi primaries. Maybe 3xLi-ion, depending on the amount of voltage sag.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a much better picture:
TLST5driver.jpg

Hill

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I've read so many mixed reviews about DX/KD boards that I'm not sure I want to take the risk. Problem is, there is not much available in the small diameter size I need. The Shark buck 2A/3A would be nice, but I don't think it will fit, and trimming may not be possible.

I'll keep looking.
Hill

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sharks are 19mm diameter. I think you'd be hard-pressed to file it down to ~16mm or even 17mm. Which diameter do you need? You first mentioned 17mm in Post #1, then "~16mm" in Post #4.

I've had excellent results with the mod'ed KD driver I mentioned earlier, as long as I keep Vin < 12V.

What does your RC-C3 mod involve? Can you use a 4xAMC7135 driver and 1x16340, giving you 1400mA?

Hill

Enlightened
I've got a custom heat sink made from soldering pennies together, then filed on the edges for a snug fit into the RC-C3 body (pill was removed by unscrewing). The diameter is slightly larger than a 16340 cell, so it is probably not much bigger than 17mm. In terms of height, I have not yet decided to go with the stock reflector with the hole enlarged, or a aspheric lens pirated from another light. If I go with the aspheric, I should have ~10mm of head space for the driver. Using the stock Al reflector, I won't really have any room at all and will be going DD.

I might first try the DD approach, then depending on the result, do the driver mod that you described.

thanks for the help!
Hill

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
A two board AMC sandwich driver is about 5.7mm thick from bottom face of board to top of AMC chip. So you could make a 5xAMC7135 sandwich to get nominally 1750mA if a single board, 1400mA driver isn't enough. The AMC boards are definitely sandable to less than 17mm diameter.