MTB recomendation for fiance

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well ive noticed theres a large number of cyclist on CPF and it may be time to ask for your knowledge! Me and a friend have gotten back into cycling and mostly ride hilly trails with some jumping included. I grabbed a Diamondback Response Comp used off of a friend and other than the pedal comming out of the spline 3 times (Fixed that with a longer bolt and some loc-tite) I like it alot. I used to ride BMX a long time ago and this is the first time ive owned a mountain bike. So my fiance has decided that once she has the baby in november she wants to start riding with us. So now the question, what is a good entry level reasonably priced MTB I can get for her. As of right now the only thing ive found that looked good was the Diamondback Lux Sport. I dont want a wal-mart special but I also cant afford a Cannondale or Specialized at this point in time. Thanks for the advice in advance! :wave:

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am getting into mountain biking as well. I picked up a Ibex bike many months ago and couldn't be happier. Its full suspension and not probably as cheap as you'd be looking for. I will say what most or even all then people over at mtbr.com would say, and that is to buy something used rather than something new but low quality.

You can usually get a decent used Trek and others for a couple hundred. Just be sure to actually go test it out first to make sure it is the correct size.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Yea we dont have any problem buying used. Just not real plentiful around here. Nobody around here is into mountainbiking. Mainly road riders and commuters. And I dont think shed like a full suspension bike. I'd rather stick with a hardtail. Whats a good model from Trek to check out for her?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trek 4300 is a popular choice. Looks like $370 new, so look hard you may find something for around $200 I imagine. I see some on ebay are going for that or ~about~ that.

One of the most widely reviewed bikes on mtbr for XC hardtails is going to be the Specialized Hardrock Sport. $330 new according to the reviews. So a bit cheaper used. I see some starting off in the high $100's on ebay. I didn't look at anything more than the title of the sale really on most of these. Spend a little more on these models and you start getting better hardware such as disc brakes and better shifters. Might be worth looking into, or at least look forward to in a future upgrade of the bike.

It just really depends on how much you can spend, and what fits best for her. Go to a local bike shop and have them tell you what size fits her best and go from there.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations! Where are you finding these dealer prices? The manufacturer websites say the 4300 WSD is $480 and the hardrock sport is $500?

What about the Specialized Myka HT sport disc?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://ibexbikes.com/index.html

50% end of the year clearance sale

Yup. Good deals there.
I personally like that Ignition Super in white on their website... :D :)

IMG_3720.JPG

That is my ride(with some terribly disgusting looking water behind it). Like I said, I couldn't be happier, but I was catching the vibe you weren't quite ready to slap that kind of money down on a bike. Full suspension is of course part of the cost, which she doesn't need anyways, at this point.

-Cameron

Patriot

Flashaholic
I would stick to the basics. The Trek 4300 is a decent bike at a reasonable price.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Since she won't be riding till around November I would save a little more and buy her something she won't outgrow in a few months. You mentioned trail riding with some jumps, if the jumps aren't all really crazy high then a hardtail will do.

Most bikes in the under $800 - $1k range will have similar frames, mostly made in Taiwan. Still good frames though, so i wouldn't worry about the name on the bike. For the type of riding you mentioned, i would stick to Shimano Deore or better for the drive train (SRAMs are also good, just not sure which one). They tend to hold up to more abuse than the recreational Shimano models. Same thing with brakes, Promax are decent but Shimano, SRAM and Avid will be better. Wheels, there are quite a few good names out there, Mavic comes to mind. They tend to be a bit more but they are very well made. The front shock is were you don't want to skimp. I haven't kept up with recent shock tech and not sure of the latest and greatest. Just make sure there is enough travel for the type of riding you do. If your are short on funds at the moment, try to get the most for your money on the drivetrain and the fork. The other components are easier upgrades later on.

Just my 2 cents.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice guys! I think as of right now were looking at the Trek 4300 WSD. Going to a couple local dealers on monday to check em out!