Hello, and Olight M30, Fenix TK40 or LumaPower MVP TurboForce?

thudly

Newly Enlightened
I'm a complete noob, so have pity on this babble, please...

15 years ago I bought a SureFire 6P (I was working as a civvy for the Denver, CO PD while in grad school). It was soooo tiny compared to the maglites of the era and amazingly bright. I carry it in my briefcase today.

Then a couple of years ago I bought an LED headlight (Petzl Zipka Plus 4-LED Headlamp) and I've been amazed at how convenient it was… sure it is lumpy, but it is my EDC.

Then I found CPF and life got complicated. I found out there are a bunch of folks who actually know who made the LEDs in my little headlamp, understand how they are powered, and somewhere there is even somebody who rewired them to etch their girlfriend's initials on the face of the moon, real quick before the LEDs burned out.

Now 7777 has sold me a Fenix LD10 and it is 1/3 the size of my old SureFire and umpteen times as bright… on 1 AA battery. Wow. I'm hooked. A sad fact? I can't decide which light to carry so the Petzl sits in my right pocket and the Fenix in my left. Every day. Hey, you never know…

So now I really need your help on deciding on the next light. I've narrowed it down to 3, all using some variant of a 4-doohickey LED, 2 MC-E lights and one P7: Olight M30, Fenix TK40 or LumaPower MVP TurboForce.

Some random thoughts:
The TK40 uses AA batteries and that appeals to my (noob) 'worst-case scenario' thinking. I mean, I can ALWAYS get AA batteries. I'm not even sure what some of the other options are or where to source them beyond a specialty dealer…

OTOH, the TK40 has had some reported, inexplicable over-heated battery packs. There are dire warnings out about making sure all of the Li cells are discharged to the same degree and are used as a set. All of a sudden, even flashlight batteries aren't quite so casual a thing anymore.

The TK40 has a slight ongoing battery drain I think (do the other 2 lights? How do I find out?) so I have to lock-out the tailcap (like with the SureFire?) to prevent battery drain. I really don't relish picking up a flashlight and finding dead batteries. In all of these years, the easy-to-use 6P has never let me down in this regard, but the world isn't just a simple mechanical kind of place anymore.

The M30 looks good but flickers due to PWM control of lower brightness levels. Sounds annoying.

The MVP TF sounds good, I like the idea of the side switch. It doesn't use AA batteries so I have to become involved in the arcane world of, "…battery types/combinations:2X Li-Ion (16340(RCR123A, 17650, 17670 or 18650 (18650 recommended for longest runtime and highest output)(4xCR123A cab be used on low and medium output modes for emergencies and backup and for up to 4 minutes on high)". You folks have no idea how little sense that makes to me right now. Very daunting. What batteries and charger to buy, how to choose a safe Li-Ion battery and employ a safe procedure?

So, here are my questions and I'd be most appreciative of your collective wisdom on these, if you have time:

Which of these 3 lights do you recommend and why? Feel free to add other choices of approximately equivalent capability and quality at around the same pricing.

Can you advise me on battery choices, including charger as required? The Eveready Li-Ion AAs look awfully easy and that sells the TK40. What is wrong about that thinking?

How do I make sure I'm approaching the battery question safely? I shoot a variety of firearms, I frequently use heavy duty and dangerous equipment that must be understood and used wisely and so far have all of my fingers and toes. I'm just afraid that I am SO naïve about safety issues in these high drain lamps using Li-Ion technology that I could be doing something stupid and never know it until the real bright light…

Like most noobs, I think I've asked good questions, but it is a sure bet that I've completely missed far more important factors than I've recognized. What am I missing, what mistakes am I just about to make? If you could save me from being a dumba**, I'd sure appreciate it.

This is a lot, and any help you folks can offer will surely be appreciated. I've enjoyed reading the posts here. Its great to find a whole group of folks who appreciate the joys of an obsessive/compulsive approach to life!

Thanks again-

Ted

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Ted-

Welcome to cpf. I'm brand new here myself, as you can see. I'll try and do my best to help you out and answer your questions. However, you really didn't say what you'll be using the light for. How often will you use it? What kind of environment will you be using it in? Are you in law enforcement like me? If so, are you patrol, swat, search n rescue? Country or city?

As far as the lights go, I own 2/3 you inquired about; the Fenix TK40 and the Olight M30 - and I do bring both to work. Both are extemely well built and very bright on their turbo modes. One cpf member put their TK40 to a "torture test" - including boiling it, freezing it, dropping it, and rolling over it in his vehicle - and it still performed flawlessly. Although I saw no similiar test for the Olight (and no, it won't be from me), I believe it'll also take a fair amount of abuse.

The TK40

If you like the feel of a 2D maglite - this light is for you. It's size as far as "girth" is very comparable, although the fenix has a better grip. Yes, the 8 AA battery is a great feature. HOWEVER, cheapy throw away alkalines should only be used in this light for temporary situations or emergencies. If used often, they will eventually leak inside your light, corroding it badly. Not to mention the poor quality run time you'll get with disposable alkalines. Now, i'm not positive on this, but I believe using li-ion batteries (lithium ion) voids the TK40's warranty, and it's not recommended by the manufacturer to use them. So what to use? Quality rechargeable AA's. Personally, I use and like Eneloops which can be found on amazon.com and elsewhere. They are safe and easy to use, and they last charge after charge. If you spend $140 on a light, you shouldn't put cheap batteries in it. After all, whats another $25 on quality batteries and a charger? Especially if, in the long run, you'll spend less money anyway. In addition, as a LEO (if you are), you can write it off on your taxes anyway! The TK40 is bright, has six different lighting options, is durable, and has good throw (illuminating a target at a great distance). As far as cons go, it's got a couple. #1 The user interface is odd, at least for me. I never, ever "strobed" anyone. If an attacker is coming at me, I go for my mace, baton, or firearm (accordingly) - not a strobe feature on a light. It also has two different S.O.S. features. Not too many people know morse code these days, and in order to get someones attention, shining a light in a persons face is just as effective (if not more) than an s.o.s. feature on a light - let alone two. #2 it's too wide/thick. Much too big to be placed anywhere on my duty belt, and if it was, it would jab me everytime I bent down or sat down. You COULD put it in a ring holder, but if you wrestle with someone, get into a foot pursuit, or hop over a fence, you might lose it. I like to keep my light in a secure leather pouch affixed to my belt that has an overhead flap that snaps closed - holding the light in place AND protecting it from scratches. #3 the parasitic drain. This light is slowly using up the batteries, which means I need to remember to loosen the tailcap everytime I put it away, at least if I want to ensure it'll fire up next time. I unscrew the tailcap (to prevent drain) and put this in a duffel bag into the trunk of my squad car and use it for searching purposes. #4 it has NO momentary on/off feature. Meaning, if I quickly depress the button, the light turns on and stays on. I like having the option of quickly turning on a light with my thumb on the button and then quickly turning it off by removing said thumb for a burst of light, and usually this is only acheived with a momentary switch on the light. #5 this light is just too wide and heavy to be held in one hand, while holding your firearm in the other - especially if i'm drawing down on someone for an extended period of time. I'm not saying this is a bad light, nothing could be further from the truth. I just don't think this is a good light for the police. This is a great search light, emergency light, camping light (if you dare), and hiking light - it's just not too tactically sound.

Olight M30

It is rated a little brighter than the Fenix, but not by much. They produce around the same amount of light, the fenix having the better throw and hotspot. The color the M30 produces is a little more natural compared to the fenix however. This light is MUCH thinner than the TK40, and therefore much easier to TIGHTLY grip. It fits into my flashlight holster on my duty belt (carried an inova t5-mp and bought a leather holster for it - luckily and by chance, the M30 perfectly fits in it). It produces just as much light as the TK40, AND it is much lighter too. It'll have a feel closer to your old surefire, at least closer than the TK40. This light works much better in conjuction with a firearm than the TK40, it's much lighter and more manueverable and won't fatigue you as much. I believe it can be mounted on an AR type rifle, but I'm not too sure. It also has a clip on it to affix it to your cargo pocket or vest cover, if you don't use a holster. I'm not sure if it has a parasitic drain, and I guess I'd better find out too. I've never noticed it "flickering" on any level, and if it does, it's barely noticeable. The side switch is used as a strobe when the light is off, and is also used to switch modes when the light is on. It is hard to find the side switch with only one hand when it's dark, but I leave it on high or turbo anyway and it remembers the last setting. Now I know you don't like "uncommon" batteries, but if you want a modern flashlight, you'll need modern batteries - and you need to learn about them and get over this phobia. The M30 takes cr123a's (3or4), 18650's (2), or rcr123a's(3or4). ALL are lithium, and the latter two are rechargeable. You can find inexpensive but good batteries online (surefire cr123a's are good), but once again - you should get the rechargeable. Especially if you work midnights and are using the light often. For rechargeable li-ion batteries, a lot of people here like AW batteries, I know I do. They can be found at lighthound.com I'm sure others on this thread will recommend other batteries which are also good. What you do need to know about lithium ion batteries is that they CAN explode - though rare. This can be avoided by purchasing "protected" batteries vs "unprotected". In addition, you should buy a quality charger that is also protected with other safety features (won't overcharge battery, protects against improper charging etc). I bought a shoshine and its doing great. These batteries weren't created to be confusing, but to power exactly what you're looking for - a very bright flashlight in a compact package.

As far as your third option, a LumaPower MVP TurboForce, I can't comment on it. So, between the two - get the Olight M30, it's just a better choice for LEO (and keep 2 18650's in your pocket in a plastic bag for backup). Which one will withstand the test of time? I have no idea, but I'm hoping the answer is both seeing as how i own both.

I hope I helped! Good luck and above all stay safe! -Jeff

HKJ

Flashaholic
:welcome:

I have the M30, TK40 and MVP (not turboforce) and they are very different lights to use.

M30 is s small light, it is possible to do moment any flashes with it and you have another button on the tail to select level. I prefer to use 18500 batteries in it, to take full advantage of the small size, but it gives me a bit shorter runtime. Only some people will see the flicker.

TK40 is about the size of a 2D mag, the 8 AA batteries gives it a makes it a bit heavy and the it is slow to select level on.

MVP has a big head, but the body is slim, long and solid. It is an older generation, and probably has a bit less output than the two other lights.

I have taken the above lights and some other outside for a test here: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/12 beamshoots UK.html
The JetBeam has been improved since and I am missing the M2C4/M2XC4 lights.

If you want to change brightness often, the M2C4/M2XC4 lights has the best user interface, but they need to be turned off on the switch when stored.

For standby drain, you can check my article here: http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/standbyCurrent UK.html

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi thudly!

:welcome:

Olight M30... I believe it can be mounted on an AR type rifle, but I'm not too sure. ...I've never noticed it "flickering" on any level, and if it does, it's barely noticeable. The side switch is used as a strobe when the light is off, and is also used to switch modes when the light is on. .. The M30 takes cr123a's (3or4), 18650's (2), or rcr123a's(3or4). ALL are lithium, and the latter two are rechargeable.

I just wanted to add/clarify a few things:

1- Yes, the M30 is absolutely weapon mountable on an AR or similar. Purpose built weapon mounts and pressure switches are available.

2 - The 'flickering' isn't visible to most people and those who do notice it have to look for it by waving the light around quickly or shining it on a fan - not exactly real world.

3 - The M30 can use cr123a's (3 or 4), 18650's (2), or rcr123a's(3 NOT 4) or my personal favorite 2 x 18500 protected cells.

BadHobbit

Newly Enlightened
Hi Thudly,

Although I have a few comparable Derees and JetBeams, I have become a recent fan of Olight's M30. Bought one for the security guards at the college I work at. Liked it so much that I had to buy one for myself (half my salary seems to be going to Battery Junction!).

I agree with Matt in that the 18500 battery combination seems to keep the M30's advantage of small size with a minimum sacrifice of run time. And I can't notice any pm flicker.

And I agree with JeffInChi — don't be intimidated by the new battery technology. AW protected and a Soshine charger is what I am using ... the technology is safe enough to be beyond the bleeding edge, so I think it is only a matter of time until typical alkaline technology goes the way of 8 track tapes, black & white televisions, and Lehman Brothers.

That being said, Olight has some REALLY interesting things coming just around the corner ... if you can wait a month or so.

Steve in Japan

thudly

Newly Enlightened
Hi Thudly,
snip
That being said, Olight has some REALLY interesting things coming just around the corner ... if you can wait a month or so.

Steve in Japan

Care to share more info, Steve? I could, in fact, wait a max of about 60 days before making this purchase.

Also, thanks to all for your responses thus far in this thread. Really helpful! I'll post about specifics in the next day or so...

Ted

JeffInChi

Enlightened
Mattk/HKJ/BadHobbit-

Does the Olight M30 still reach full light output potential with the18500 batteries?

Last edited:

BadHobbit

Newly Enlightened
Care to share more info, Steve? I could, in fact, wait a max of about 60 days before making this purchase.

Hey Ted,
Matt from Battery Junction posted a blurb in the Market Pace about a new Olight coming out in September, the K90 Intimidator using SST-90 emitters. I know very little about these new SS-50s and 90s, but there seems to be a lot of eyes wide shut in anticipation of the next wave of the CPF 'virus' ... wallet-drain. Come to think of it, I am beginning to feel a little woozy myself ... now where did I put that VISA card?

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Hi, just from my own opinion... I have a TK40 but not the M30 and MVP. I managed to test the M30 from a local dealer with two 18650. I liked the UI more than the TK40, it is also smaller and slightly brighter on turbo, moreover it runs on LiON batts. But what had taken me back was I immediately noticed the flicker on low and med modes. To some real life applications this might not be a bother, but to me, I just didn't like it. So I've settled on the TK40, not only it has a smoother beam, but for many other reasons mentioned above. Especially that I had seen the torture test and had found out about its parallel circuit on 2x 4AA batts. I can run it on 4 AA batts and the light can still work, just not as long. However still, both lights are still great! I would get the M30 as well but :broke:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF thudly

I own the M30 and compared it to the TK40 at a recent CPF meeting. These are my opinions:

M30:
Noticeably smaller and lighter than the TK40 and configurable in 2 x 18500 and 2 x 18650 sizes depending on required runtimes.
I prefer the UI on the M30 but don't like the fact that you must go through strobe mode on each cycle.
The PWM is a real killer for me on the low and medium modes. I find it very noticeable in all situations.

TK40:
TK40 is considerably brighter and has more throw than the M30 (both models were supposedly M-bins). It just shows that you can't trust the advertised lumen ratings.
TK40 has much nicer beam pattern with no doughnut hole or cross at distance.
No noticeable PWM at all.
Feels a little heavy when loaded with high capacity nimh cells.

Last edited:

thudly

Newly Enlightened
"Steve said: Matt from Battery Junction posted a blurb in the Market Pace about a new Olight coming out in September, the K90 Intimidator using SST-90 emitters. "

First of all, thanks to everyone for the great advice and kind welcome. I want to make sure that I don't leave the impression that I'm a law enforcement type... I'm not. I bought my first 'hi-tech' flashlight in '93-ish while working as a civilian employee of the Denver, CO PD. It was the last that I bought until a few years ago I bought a convenient LED light for general purpose use. It wasn't until I bought the Fenix LD10 a month or so ago that I began to appreciate the wonder which is a well made flashlight. It is a tiny, very well made jewel (to my inexpert eye, at least) and insanely bright. I'm hooked.

If I'm not a LEO or search and rescue person or don't live in harsh conditions or in a cave, why do I need more flashlight that the LD10? Ironically, before the LD10, I would have said I didn't. But now, well now I'm starting to feel strangely acquisitive. Sure, I don't NEED it, but wouldn't it be nice to have a flashlight that can char paint at 100 yards? I mean, just hypothetically saying. Then I read about the new, Phlatlight K90 (thanks, Steve) and I can feel my eyes getting wider and my wallet pre-shrinking. This is some strange kind of flu, and while 7777 may have been the vector, you folks provided the initial infection since I read about the LD10 here on CPF... That's the official line I'm taking with my wife... I'm just holding CPF responsible for my new obsession lovecpf.

A strange aside... I used to be a spelunker pre-LED, when we used carbide helmet lamps. I wonder if I could get a modern flashlight that worked as well as the ones we are discussing here but still smelled like wet carbide residue. Now THAT would be a wonderfully reminiscent EDC light...

Thanks again for the help. I look forward to reading what you folks are writing, and also to sharing, in a small way at least, this cool obsession for all things bright.

Ted

cbxer55

Enlightened
I recently bought M30 to replace the Surefire U2 I edced. Il ike it because the mid-range output of 120 lumens is more than the max output of the U2 (100 lumens)and holds it for 9+ hours.

As for the pwm flickering, I have not noticed it at all. I have tried to see it, waving it at white walls, flashing it a tmy eciling fan, etc. No dice, cannot see it at all.

Since I got it I am using 18500 batteries, and they are still on their initial charge after more than a week, and still ove 4.0 volts each. Obviously I am not using it enough, but currently have been out-of-work since January, so the need just is not there yet.

I carry mine left front pocket clipped, and find it convenient and not uncomfortable. But since I carry a .45 Kimber every day, I am used to lightly large things being on me daily. The M30 is not much larger than the U2, and carries just as nice.

I have not tried a TK 40, but it just looks BIG compared to the M30. So I will not be trying it, period.