CPF Members Worldwide Locations

Kiwi_sg

Newly Enlightened
I tried to do a search, and I'm sure it has been discussed before, but has there ever been a poll showing where CPF members live? I assume the bulk are in the US, but I'm surprised by how many active members are outside of the US as well. Maybe could do a poll with broad geopgraphic locations such as:

USA;
West Coast
South
Mid West
East Coast

Canada
Central America
South America
UK
Western Europe
Eastern Europe
Middle East
South Asia
South East Asia
China
North Asia
Australia, NZ, Pacific

I would find this interesting, anyone have suggestions?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of poll, you can only list up to 10 options.

roguesw

Enlightened
how about creating an excel type document in google, where you list the countries and people and edit the excel document themselves by putting their cpf handle under their respective countries, that way you can keep a tally of countries and members in each country.
We kept such a document during the McGizmo auction last month and it was incredibly useful to keep track of the bids.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've observed in several years here there are CPF members everywhere there is Internet commonly available. Africa has the least amount of Internet available per capita and what they do have has been very slow although I understand that will soon change with some new cabling that is going in place. And of course the relative economic levels in an area will have a proportionate effect on how many members you'll find from that area. In areas where they can barely afford to feed themselves and survive harsh conditions don't expect to see many members from there.

Kiwi_sg

Newly Enlightened
how about creating an excel type document in google, where you list the countries and people and edit the excel document themselves by putting their cpf handle under their respective countries, that way you can keep a tally of countries and members in each country.
We kept such a document during the McGizmo auction last month and it was incredibly useful to keep track of the bids.

If you know how to set that up do you want to have a go..beyond my skill level I'm afraid...

gollum

Enlightened
Lummi (Rob) has the map frappr or something

like google earth for everyone to plant their location on

that would be good to set one up if its free

seaside

Enlightened
IIRC, there was a poll like this before. It was like 35% from USA, 20% from china and the rest of them are from all over the world.

Anyways, I am in northen virgina now and will be at least couple more years.

Illum

Flashaholic
this reminds me of a 2007 thread called CPF Divisions

op post
My husband came up with an interesting idea. CPF Divisions. I would leave it up to you guys to decide who and what belongs in what division but for example, there could be the "Bay Area Division", "Southwest Division" (or "Phoenix Division" but "Southwest" allows for expansion), the "East Coast Division", the "Florida Division", the "Aussie Division", etc.... you get the point. And along with the divisions would come specially designed patches and T-shirts (I have a source for embroidery with names... but that's something to maybe discuss down the road... meanwhile, they would just be the ones through Cafe Press but your division would be available there), hats and other gear for each division.

Is this something you all would be interested in doing?

It will make get-togethers easier but I dunno about the right to privacy concerning locations...especially considering cpf is a public forum

handy

Newly Enlightened
I think it would be interesting and useful to have a list of members gouped by areas (countries/cities/etc.) Plus it would be great to get to know others in your area with the same somewhat unusual interest (flashlights.)

It would also help those of us outside of the USA that want to sell/trade/buy flashlights with other CPF members in our local countries or areas. Though for that to work there would have to be a filter in CPFmarketplace so that you could filter posts by location (I've tried doing it by searching but it's kind of clumsy doing it that way.)

It will make get-togethers easier but I dunno about the right to privacy concerning locations...especially considering cpf is a public forum

The privacy issue could be taken care of if there was a way it only listed what area you were in if you made that information available to the public in your details (in your CPF control panel). Otherwise it could just group you under a category such as "not disclosed" or something like that.

Illum

Flashaholic
Why is that funny ? India has a population of well over one thousand million people and most of them speak English. In fact, there's more English speakers in India than any other country in the world.

you should see the cellphone density in slums as well, that'll truely shock you on the basis of technological aplitude:nana:

bhvm

Newly Enlightened
Why is that funny ? India has a population of well over one thousand million people and most of them speak English. In fact, there's more English speakers in India than any other country in the world.

Because_Im_Proud_to_be_Indian!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raar! Zombie thread rise to eat your braaains!

Seriously, though, this demographic info would be kinda cool.