Interested in the TK40, but don't like the constant current draw. any other choice?

stockae92

Enlightened
I like the form factor and function of Fenix TK40, at least more of it.

- uses AA size batteries
- multi die LED (bright)
- multi modes

but having a constant current draw to me is a very bad idea. i am pretty sure there will be times when i needed the light, and it would run empty on me.

i've heard that unscrewing the tail tap works. but that's only a partial problem to the solution (it needed to be unscrewed pretty loose and stored tail up (or down, i forgot))

anyway, so i wonder if there are other comparable light out there like the TK40?

thanks.

jahxman

Enlightened
There are lights that are comparable in max output, but not with AA batteries. All the others pretty much use Lithium primaries or Li-ion rechargeables.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the parastic drain is very slow. I think it would take longer than a year to typically drain a fresh set of batteries below what you would notice.

I initially always kept my TK40 on lockout when not in use, but for the last 2 months I haven't bothered. I generally uses it several times a week for about 10-15 minutes at a time (walk the dog, etc.

I have it loaded with 8 eneloops, and have not noticed any loss of output or power yet after these two months of intermittent use and no lockout. It is getting to the point where it would probably need a recharge anyway, just based on usage (generally would go about 2 hours continuous use on 8 2000 mAh eneloops on turbo)

If I were not going to use it for a few months I would certainly put it on lockout. BTW, I found that if I bend the 4 gold springs at the bezel end of the battery carrier down a couple MM it allows me to lock out the light with about 1 turn, and does not affect the performance of the light in any other way.

There are several other good choices available for lights that have similar output; I'm finding that I like my Olight M30 quite a bit for its smaller form factor and interface, and my DBS V3 MC-E for its throwy flood. If you like having the 8 modes on the TK40, however, you won't find that in comparable lights - most have simpler interfaces, with low-high, low-med-high or sometimes low-med-high-strobe. On the other hand many would argue that SOS and beacon/slow flash are useless anyhow; many also don't like strobe.

I'm planning to do a comparison review/beamshot shootout between the Legion II, Fenix TK40, EagleTac M2CX, DBS MC-E, Olight M30 Triton, Epsilon ED-P72, Ultrafire RL-2088, Jetbeam M1X, and Solar Force L1000 P7. I have all the other lights, I am just waiting on the Legion II to do the review. These all put out lots of light on max, but also have a lot of differences.

I also have an XTAR howitzer on order; it will be interesting to compare its beam to these other "big guns".

Larbo

Enlightened
From what Ive read here the drain is minimal and if its something thats going to sit in the glove box or drawer for a period of time just change batteries ever couple months to keep fresh ones in it, lithium or a brand name Alkaline would be fine, if your like me and buy then buy the 48 pack finding a use for these tk40 pulls should not be a problem

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
The TK40 has a discharge of 0.36 - 0.38 mA

I have it loaded with 8 eneloops, and have not noticed any loss of output or power yet after these two months of intermittent use and no lockout. It is getting to the point where it would probably need a recharge anyway, just based on usage (generally would go about 2 hours continuous use on 8 2000 mAh eneloops on turbo)

Yeap, but take note that it runs on parallel with 2 sets of 4 eneloops each, that means it's 4000mAH. It will last more than a year in storage. But yeah you might have recharged those batteries anyway

If I were not going to use it for a few months I would certainly put it on lockout. BTW, I found that if I bend the 4 gold springs at the bezel end of the battery carrier down a couple MM it allows me to lock out the light with about 1 turn, and does not affect the performance of the light in any other way.

Hey this might work :thinking: I've been looking for a solution for this, even though I went ahead and get the TK40. It's true that you have to unscrew it real loose until the o-ring is half exposed. If I kept the light for months, a whole lot of dirt and dust would stick on the o-ring since it was lubricated.

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
Aren't you on the S2ki board? Get the TK40. You'll love it. I like my Eagletac M2X also but taking the AAs for me is a huge advantage.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey this might work :thinking: I've been looking for a solution for this, even though I went ahead and get the TK40. It's true that you have to unscrew it real loose until the o-ring is half exposed. If I kept the light for months, a whole lot of dirt and dust would stick on the o-ring since it was lubricated.

According to the instruction sheet in order to lock out the TK40 you have to unscrew the head not the tailcap. The o-ring of the head which is more recessed will not be exposed.

BTW I have bent the 4 gold springs in the battery holder too. I did it a few days after receiving the light last April and it has worked well since then: one turn is enough to lock it out.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2 cents: Shove 8 eneloops or another quality LSD NiMH battery in the thing. Every 3-4 months pull them and perform a full discharge followed by a charge (the Lacrosse BC900 or Maha chargers will do this nicely). This keeps it fresh, balanced and makes the small constant current drain irrelevent.

I store mine like this without locking it out so it's ready to grab and use.

HKJ

Flashaholic
My 2 cents: Shove 8 eneloops or another quality LSD NiMH battery in the thing. Every 3-4 months pull them and perform a full discharge followed by a charge (the Lacrosse BC900 or Maha chargers will do this nicely). This keeps it fresh, balanced and makes the small constant current drain irrelevent.

I store mine like this without locking it out so it's ready to grab and use.

That is just about the best way to keep it ready. :twothumbs
It takes a bit more than a year to totally discharge the batteries, with you schedule you never risk having a light with nearly depleted batteries.

stockae92

Enlightened
Aren't you on the S2ki board? Get the TK40. You'll love it. I like my Eagletac M2X also but taking the AAs for me is a huge advantage.

me on s2ki? ... maybe ;-) :p

regarding the lock out? so i can just unscrew the head to lock it out?

that works too as long as it will stop the draining of the battery.

i realized the drainning current is small, but its just going to be something that bugs me

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard this a thousand times -

If you're buying a TK40, you're going to use eneloop rechargables - unless you like leaky alkalines!:green: So, what possible reason would you be worried about the very slow drain of the batteries whilst on standby?

All a lot of worry about nothing. It takes over a year for the batteries to be drained. If you're not going to use the light for a year, why would you have batteries sitting in the thing anyway?

Get the light, charge your eneloops, use the light to your hearts' content. After a couple of weeks of regular use, recharge your eneloops and so on and so forth. With regular use, where's the drain???? If you're never going to use the thing, buy nothing and you will have nothing to worry about.:naughty:

James....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
It's true that you have to unscrew it real loose until the o-ring is half exposed. If I kept the light for months, a whole lot of dirt and dust would stick on the o-ring since it was lubricated.

According to the instruction sheet in order to lock out the TK40 you have to unscrew the head not the tailcap. The o-ring of the head which is more recessed will not be exposed.

BTW I have bent the 4 gold springs in the battery holder too. I did it a few days after receiving the light last April and it has worked well since then: one turn is enough to lock it out.

kilovolt is right, you unscrew the head, not the tail to lockout, and there is absolutely no o-ring exposed when locked out. no problems. the only reason you'd really have to lock it out is when you transport it in a bag or backpack or something.

get the tk40, i doubt you'll regret it. i love mine. awesome light!

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
kilovolt is right, you unscrew the head, not the tail to lockout, and there is absolutely no o-ring exposed when locked out. no problems. the only reason you'd really have to lock it out is when you transport it in a bag or backpack or something.

get the tk40, i doubt you'll regret it. i love mine. awesome light!

Yeah, I've bent the 4 springs carefully with a long nose plier, gotta make sure the the base is not bent, but just the springs, it worked now with 1.1 turn to be exact. Very good if you are carrying the light in a bag, the switch does comes on easily.. :thanks:

just get the tk40! the slow discharge with Nimh is too small to worry about or being bugged at

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 :thumbsup:

Get the light, charge your eneloops, use the light to your hearts' content. After a couple of weeks of regular use, recharge your eneloops and so on and so forth. With regular use, where's the drain???? If you're never going to use the thing, buy nothing and you will have nothing to worry about.:naughty:

I have heard this a thousand times -

If you're buying a TK40, you're going to use eneloop rechargables - unless you like leaky alkalines!:green: So, what possible reason would you be worried about the very slow drain of the batteries whilst on standby?

All a lot of worry about nothing. It takes over a year for the batteries to be drained. If you're not going to use the light for a year, why would you have batteries sitting in the thing anyway?

+2

Just do it.:D:D:D