Surefire LX2 (Part 3)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continued from Part 1 and Part 2

Well its here! As far as output goes its a little hard to tell if its brighter than the E2DL since its daytime. Looks roughly the same, which is fine by me since the E2DL rated around 200 lumens anyway. The tint is spectacular as well as the beam profile. Couldn't take beamshots since my camera (Samsung Glyde cell) wouldn't do them well. Here are some pics in order from its arrival, I don't know how I had the patience to take the pics before completely opening it up and playing with but I somehow I managed...

I like the black box it came with. The outer box has a flap on the back containing specs in a bunch of other languages. Enjoy!

By kdog2009

By kdog2009

By kdog2009

By kdog2009

By kdog2009

By kdog2009

Last edited by a moderator:

prime77

Enlightened
Re: Surefire LX2 (Part 2)

The LX2 is the first light that I got in a while that I wasn't disappointed in at all. I have carried it everyday since I got it and have found it to be a great light. I get off from work after midnight every night and use the LX2 every night. The low level is a good output for menial tasks like walking to the car and unlocking the house door on the dark porch and the high is a scorcher and great for spotting things at a distance. All around I have come to rely on and love my LX2. It has become a trusted friend. Here are some old shots I took.
056-3.jpg

093.jpg

068-1.jpg

065-2.jpg

078.jpg

031-6.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
What do people feel about a verion of the LX2 having one of the levels as a strobe?
To me, it would seem to make sense that the first mode would be the high output strobe and the second mode would be high output so that 'mashing down' under stress etc would result in full steady output rather than the other way around...

I suspect this would make it a rather niche tool.

Al :thinking:

Numbers

Enlightened
Strobe for me is unnecessary I would not buy it, but as a second version of the LX2 if SF thinks it would sell why not. Seems it would be more appropriate for the E2DL though.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
What do people feel about a verion of the LX2 having one of the levels as a strobe?
To me, it would seem to make sense that the first mode would be the high output strobe and the second mode would be high output so that 'mashing down' under stress etc would result in full steady output rather than the other way around...

To my surprise, I have come to enjoy the setup of my Arc6 where you have low -> high, but if you transition from low -> high quickly you get strobe. Kinda nice.

- Chris

litetube

Enlightened
Damn!!! These are really nice looking lights. SF really has a good design team on aesthetics. These LX2 really have combined form and function on a superior level. I truly wish they would open up the battery tubes but am well aware of their views on this. I have owned various SF lights and they really are made better than most others and deserve all the credit they get. I just cant stop looking at these new non knurled lights and I may break down and get an LX1 if I have the cash in '10 when they come out.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Al's idea is a good one. Two modes, with one being strobe; along with Surefire quality = Pure WIN!

The nearest thing to such an LX2 is the JetBeam Military model. (Too bad the clip on that one is horribly uncomfortable when you're holding the light).

As far as the battery tubes go, at first I understood Surefire's decision. Being based in America, Surefire is more likely to get sued by someone looking for a fast buck; compared to companies not based in the U.S.

Someone screws around with an 18650, then blames Surefire. So they make sure the tubes are not wide enough... But then everyone uses a 17670 or one or two RCR123 cells instead.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one don't fancy the strobe feature. LX2 wasn't intended to be a combat light in the first place and I don't see how a strobe would help in daily practical usage. Moreover, I am happy with the 2 stage operation as it is.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally, I think this is an absolutely awesome idea and one that I've been looking for in a light for quite some time. I was thinking of this as a walking the dog light. In my neighborhood it is quite dark and rural. So alot of times cars come flying down the road and when they are too busy talking on their cell phone or texting, they don't always see me. To immediatly be ablet to go to an annoying strobe would be an excellent way to get their attention!

Al any connections at Surefire to get us a couple of custom LX2s made for that purpose?!?! :whistle::thumbsup:

Awesome idea!!

MSax

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be in for one of these "custom" LX2s with the strobe option. For sure.

Numbers

Enlightened
Well I just got my LX2 back from SF. They replaced the head after I thought the original had particularly bad green rings at the outer edge of the spill. The new head has green rings too but they are much less objectionable.

Still, I guess I compare all my SF's to the first I bought, an L4, which had a perfect beam.
I cant seem to understand why TIR technology is supposed to be improving (??) yet the LX2 beam compares unfavorably to my L1 and my E2L (in terms of tint too). Oh well, it is what it is - it will be used outdoors and will do it's job.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I fully understand that my suggested 'version of the LX2 with strobe' concept is not intended to be a everyday carry flashlight. I'm not even interested in one for myself.

I just think the ability to assign a particular output to one mode and be able to seamlessly transition from it to another using the two-stage push button pressure switch user interface is a very interesting one.

We have a community here with many skilled at modifying flashlights. I wonder just how difficult it would be to modify an LX2 so that the low beam is a high output strobe instead?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
We have a community here with many skilled at modifying flashlights. I wonder just how difficult it would be to modify an LX2 so that the low beam is a high output strobe instead?

Time to head up to the roof, and switch on the Milky signal.

Hope Scott sees it.

Paul5M

Newly Enlightened
I fully understand that my suggested 'version of the LX2 with strobe' concept is not intended to be a everyday carry flashlight. I'm not even interested in one for myself.

I just think the ability to assign a particular output to one mode and be able to seamlessly transition from it to another using the two-stage push button pressure switch user interface is a very interesting one.

Do you think the resistor is beefy enough to handle that high current?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some of you may recall, I had sent my LX2 in to SureFire for some issues one day after receiving it. The original post with pictures is found here.

---
Here are the highlights of what was wrong:
- Finger smudge on optic
- Really mismatched anodization
- Green beam tint on low
So I called SureFire and they gave me an RMA...
They said they will look at the smudge and possibly the beam tint and mismatched ano as well. Regarding beam tint, the SF rep told me that SureFire's are illumination tools, not museum pieces.
---

Yesterday, I received my LX2 back from SureFire. To be honest, I was a little scared to open the box after reading some mixed experiences here on CPF. I had decided beforehand, that so long-as SF replaced the smudged optic and hadn't introduced any new problems (scratches, etc.), I would be happy and could live with the light perfectly fine.

So what did I find...
A body that matches, a smudge-free optic, and a perfectly white beam!!! :party::party:
It appears that they replaced both the entire bezel and tailcap to achieve the matching colors and better beam tint as well as having a smudge free optic. The body is original as it has the same s/n as what I shipped them, but the bezel and tailcap are definitely not the same ones. In addition, the lanyard ring doesn't move freely on the new tailcap (it has some resistance like on my two Aviators) which I'm also very happy about (unlike the original one).

Plus, they were very quick with it. They received the light on Aug. 14 (Friday) and shipped it back on Aug. 18 (Tuesday)--only 3 business days in their possession. Impressive!

Kudos to SureFire! :thumbsup: I am now extremely happy with my LX2.

-Robert

Numbers

Enlightened
Plus, they were very quick with it. They received the light on Aug. 14 (Friday) and shipped it back on Aug. 18 (Tuesday)--only 3 business days in their possession. Impressive!
-Robert

They turned mine around quickly too. They received it on a Monday and I had it back on Friday of the same week - shipped clear across the country no less.