• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: One item left - Light engine to upgrade a Nuwai Q3 (aka QIII)

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Item #1: SOLD First up is a one of a kind Milky mod (modified by member Milkyspit aka Scott) which uses a neutral tint Rebel 100 LED behind an optic to deliver a large, even hotspot with ample spill. The hotspot from this head is even bigger than from a stock Surefire optic, which makes it extremely useful. The host was a later generation KL1. The Rebel 100 is rated up to 1 amp, which is the highest among available single die neutral tint LEDs. The custom firmware Milky programmed drives it at 1 amp on high, 600mA on medium, 150mA on low, and 25mA on lowest.

The firmware is based off of the 'Califon' standard, which provides the user with 3 groups of user interfaces (UIs) to choose from. The first is memory mode, which simply remembers the last mode you used and begins there when next you turn it on. To change between the 4 brightness levels, just tap the switch to cycle through and then hold or click the switch for more than 1/2 second when you get to the level you want. Second is tactical mode, in which the light always comes on in the highest output level first, then cycles to strobe before continuing down the progression to medium, low, and lowest before repeating. In theatre mode, the light always comes on lowest first and progresses upwards in brightness as you cycle.

To switch between the 3 UIs, you tap the switch >20 times (but <40) without keeping the switch on for more than 1/2 second. As with the 'Califon' firmware, this light also has miser mode, which reduces all of the output levels by a factor of 6 to increase runtime. To switch to miser mode and back, you tap the switch >40 times without keeping the switch on for more than 1/2 second. It is really very easy to switch modes by just bouncing your finger off of the switch.

For this firmware, I decided to take the strobe and locater flash modes out of the UIs with the exception of the tactical mode. So, when cycling through the levels in either the theatre or memory modes I don't have to cycle through an annoying strobe or locater flash. I decided to leave strobe in the tactical mode as the second setting after high. None of my UIs contain a locater flash. What I really like about my firmware is that I can access strobe and two different locater flash modes at any time, from within any UI, by using a 'gesture'. If I tap 6 times I get strobe, 7 times for the bright locater, and 8 times for a dim locater.

The 'tale of the tape': MudLux Luxeon Rebel 100 - Neutral Cree TIR White Holder Acorn 1.0 ('C-Mudman' Firmware) Works with 1x Rechargeable or 2x Primary Cells

How about some pics? Here is the head for sale, in like new condition. I can find no anodizing wear, scratches or nicks at all. After carefully searching for flaws, I rate this head at 100% original condition.
P1040918.jpg

This picture shows the tiny Rebel LED behind the optic.
P1040559.jpg

And now for some beamshots. This first one on a white wall shows the spill pretty well.
P1040919.jpg

And this beamshot shows the light illuminating the back of my garage from 50 feet away.

P1040936.jpg

I have a total of $275 invested in this head, but I am letting it go for $210 $200 $195$190 $185 shipped by USPS Priority Mail with insurance and delivery confirmation. Additional sales details can be found at the end of this post. I am now also accepting certain items in trade: please see post #26.

Item #2 SOLD Next, I have for sale here a Surefire KL1 head in HA natural finish which I have modified as follows:
-4000K color temperature high CRI Seoul LED mounted with AA thermal epoxy on a copper shim for proper focus
-IMS 20mm smooth reflector for good throw but ample spill - the reflector was slightly cut down for proper fit and focus
-Modified original KL1 circuit to increase LED drive level - 560mA on one Li-ion or 750mA on 2 primaries, 2 Li-ion or 3 primaries
-Head is sealed with medium strength Loctite

This head is in excellent condition as you can see from the photos below. It is not 100% though, I would rate it at 97% due to some very slight anodizing wear in a few places at the bezel - but you have to be looking for it to see it. This light does an excellent job at rendering colors due to the use of the high CRI LED. Because of the boost/buck KL1 circuitry it can run off of many battery choices up to 9V input.

P1040908.jpg

P1040911.jpg

P1040941.jpg

This shot conveys the beam shape and spill intensity.

I also dug out some pics taken previously comparing how this light renders colors compared to a cool white LED or incandescent source. All of these pictures were taken with the white balance locked on Daylight.

This is the high CRI Seoul:
seoul-2.jpg

This is the incandescent light:
incan-3.jpg

And finally a cool white Rebel 100 LED (not the coolest white by any stretch of the imagination):
Rebel3-1.jpg

For this custom KL1 head I am asking $80 shipped USPS Priority Mail with DC.

Item #3: SOLD Pending Funds I also have 3 Philips 5761 bulbs for sale. The frosted one is used but the other two were not. One of the unfrosted bulbs was tested but the other is still sealed. Below is a picture showing how the frosting was only done from the filament down - which gives the nicest beam IMO. All 3 for $12 shipped USPS First Class with DC.
P1040929.jpg

Item #4: SOLD One unused FM 1794 bulb from the first run = $12 shipped USPS First Class with DC.

Item #5: SOLD 3 Pelican bulbs (ROP), 2 of the low bulbs and 1 of the high bulbs. Packages are open and I think I may have used the high bulb <1 hour and tested one of the low bulbs. $10 shipped USPS First Class with DC for all 3.

Item #6:SOLD One unused GD750 LED driver circuit from the Sandwich Shoppe for $15 shipped USPS First Class with DC.

Item #7 SOLD: One used Surefire E2DL circuit for $10 shipped USPS First Class with DC.

Item #8 SOLD: One used Surefire KX1 circuit for $10 shipped USPS First Class with DC.

Item #9: One used light engine upgrade for a Nuwai Q3. Consists of custom made solid copper heatsink, GD500 driver, and Cree XR-E Q4 WH bin LED. This can be swapped with the stock light engine to add a lot of output and improved tint to an old Q3 light you have sitting around. The GD500 driver will give you extended runtimes while still providing great output and allows you to use primary or rechargeable batteries. Asking only $30 shipped USPS First Class with DC.
P1040926-1.jpg

First to post, "I'll take it" gets priority for up to 24 hours in which time payment is expected. Payment by Paypal preferred to cjmonzyk [at] yahoo [dot] com with credit card (please add 4% if paying by this method) or send paypal balance transfer (cash) to cjmonzykcash [at] yahoo [dot] com.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: Modded SF KL1 with IMS20 and high CRI Seoul LED - increased drive level!

Nice!

afraidofdark

Enlightened
Re: FS: Modded SF KL1 with IMS20 and high CRI Seoul LED - increased drive level!

:thumbsup: love that color rendition chart !

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS:E series heads-1 Milkymod w/neut Rebel 100 + 1 high CRI Seoul mod +bulbs+circu

retracted I confused this with something else, sorry

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS:E series heads-1 Milkymod w/neut Rebel 100 + 1 high CRI Seoul mod +bulbs+circu

I'll take 7 & 8!

Is the KX1 driver 2 stage or one?

Pay-Pal sent!
:paypal:
Thanks

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, sorry I forgot to mention that. It is the two stage version. Let me know if you want to pass on it and just get the E2DL circuit. Thanks!

Heck no!!

I want 'em both!

If you have any more let me know, I might be interested.

Thanks!

-Tim

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I'll take #6 GD750.

EDIT: PP cash sent. Thanks.

BTW, is the PCB green or yellow?

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I will take item #5. PM coming.

Bill

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS:KL1 Milkymod w/neutral Rebel 100 (PRICE DROP!) + FM1794 + 3x 5761 +Q3 light en

The KX1 & E2DL driver came today!!

Thank you!

now I need to figure out what light gets modded first..