What would you choose?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD20 OP. I don't know the IPT, they are not attracting to me and I guess the Fenix is the better one.

You may consider a Quark AA-2 as well, a more homogenous beam as the Fenix, a bit less throw perhaps.

neoseikan

Enlightened
Why AA? Try 16340 or 18650 EDC lights. A higher voltage always provide higher efficiency.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends what you're after.
If you want variable brightness, iTP C8. If you prefer output/runtime efficiency (especially on mid-lower levels), the Fenix LD20, but take note that C8 CAN achieve a lower low, hence C8 CAN run for a longer time than the LD20 ultimately.

Built quality wise, the Fenix is marginally better from experience. But if you take variance into account, I'd say the difference is insignificant.

You might want to consider Quark AA^2, its a bargain.

radu1976

Enlightened
Between those I would choose an ITP C7 TACTICAL - raised clickie -
I preffer 14500 lights to the 16340 ones as 14500 cells have slightly more capacity and due to their format they feel better in your hands :thumbsup:
I have the ITP C7 incoming - in fact its brother in natural colour, MARATAC AA - in a few days, a geat addy to my 14500 AKORAY .

neoseikan

Enlightened
Between those I would choose an ITP C7 TACTICAL - raised clickie -
I preffer 14500 lights to the 16340 ones as 14500 cells have slightly more capacity and due to their format they feel better in your hands :thumbsup:
I have the ITP C7 incoming - in fact its brother in natural colour, MARATAC AA - in a few days, a geat addy to my 14500 AKORAY .

Hi. Radu. How do you think about ultra-short lights? Such as one using CR2?
I thought people always like lights as short as possible.

radu1976

Enlightened
Hi Neo...I do believe that the short lights are more practical. But I am not a twistie fan.
I have 2 x 6-7 cm lights : an AAA MARATAC and a FENIX P1CE . Both twistie, very pocketable, but I am not suing them too much.
I preffer the tactical lights - 10 cm at least - with a raised clickie.

Never hold a SPARTANIAN while the LEGION II was nice designed with its control ring : how would a LEGION be used as a tactical light with a forward rear clickie ?! It would have been handled with difficulty.

Last edited:

neoseikan

Enlightened
Hi Neo...I do believe that the short lights are more practical. But I am not a twistie fan.
I have 2 x 6-7 cm lights : an AAA MARATAC and a FENIX P1CE . Both twistie, very pocketable, but I am not suing them too much.
I preffer the tactical lights - 10 cm at least - with a raised clickie.

Never hold a SPARTANIAN while the LEGION II was nice designed with its control ring : how would a LEGION be used as a tactical light with a forward rear clickie ?! It would have been handled with difficulty.

Maybe not too difficult, I think. Because L2 is similar with Surefire M6. If L2 is used as a tactical light, it should be installed in a rifle. And people only need to push the tail switch. If it's for handling, then, recent switch is OK.
How do you think about it?

radu1976

Enlightened
Honestly, I would avoid to buy such a big light with a rear clickie - as M6 or some HID -
LEGION II can be handled with one hand but I regulary use my both hands when I play with it :)
I think that such a big and heavy lights should come with a sideclickie as INOVA T4/T5. DEFINETELY !
Don't tell me you are feeling confortable holding a 3-400 gr flashlight with one hand in a tactical position and MAYBE with the gun in another hand. Or maybe my hands are not too strong. Mostly of us are not using the lights for tactical purpose but some will do

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
There is another thread here that discusses the quality of Fenix vs. iTP. It is not about the same lights you are considering so I won't merge the 2 threads, but it may be of assistance.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From what I recall (haven't been around here for over two months) both are great lights, so you'll be fine with both.

If you want variable output and a lower low, then go for the ITP. If you want set levels (saves the task of ramping) and a decently long and good track record then go for the Fenix.

The Quark AA^2 looks to be a great choice too. 4sevens has included shipping worldwide and also has a coupon for CPF users which is IIRC "CPF8".