Hi, new and in need of some advice

neoflare

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I'm just after some suggestions for a lighting implement, I'm sort of new to the world of really bright torches. I only discovered Candle Power Forums a couple months ago. Basically about two years ago when I procured a G2Z Surefire (WOW!!! small, light and incredibly bright) did my opinion that Mag Lites were the ultimate lighting tool, change...for the better.

I had since upgraded to an original Lumapower MRV, which in my opinion is much better...brighter, longer run time and (to me) excellent throw (it has taken a pretty good beating and never failed. Suffice to say though since I have been on here I've discovered a good few torches that I could easily want and didn't know existed - which leads to my questions.

For now I'm trying to toss up between three lights, a Fenix TK10/11, Jetbeam RRT-1 or a Lumapower MRV SK. Good throw with reasonable side spill are important, it'll be used in varying weather conditions. I like the Fenix and Jetbeam for the simple interfaces.

Second part (has me clueless) is a complementary light with good spaced outputs a fairly low output level. Flood would be good....be it with a diffuser, adjustable focus...as long as I can get a decent flood beam. Same as above varying weather conditions.

I'm a member of the emergency services and attend land searches, rescues, road accidents, storms and floods. The land around here is a combination of rural, suburban and we have a large state forest/national park.

Sorry if this was a little long. I appreciate any input and other suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Rak

Newly Enlightened
Hello and :welcome:!!!

And just to let you know(but I think you figured this out allready) your wallet is a toast.
As for the thrower I have tk-10,11(Q5) and both Raptors.TK-11 and Raptors are all throwers with the edge going to the RRT-1.I think it is pretty amazing.

As for the general use flood light I like my L2 Digital Lumamax.Decent runtime on low,the famous wall of light,UI is good for me and CR123 compatible with the throwers you mentioned.

Take care and be carefull out there.

neoflare

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Rak, it's looking like the RRT-1 is goining to be the one.
I'll definitly check out the L2 Digital lumamax and I'm also looking at the Zebra headlamps.

*Laughs* just what the wallet needs...more excuses to hate me (already have a knife obsession).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the lights mentioned above are good choices but as for your "complementary" light I would suggest a Fenix PD30 or Jetbeam III Pro ST. Both have good flood while still maintaining good throw. The PD30 does have a little more flood/throw but IMO the Jet has a better UI.

strinq

Enlightened
since ur into search and rescue, maybe a really bright thrower like the Eagletac M2xC4 might be handy.

Do check out the new Eagletac T20C2 also, with the diffuser kit and all, makes for a pretty tough light not to mention that it has higher lumens than the other lights mentioned here.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your complementary light go for something like the Zebralight, a pure
multi output floodlight for close up work.
Then also carry a thrower for longer distances.... maybe something like a
Jetbeam M1X with the cell extender for longer runtime

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a Malkoff M60L in your G2Z! I think you'll find it better!

If you want more flood, put the M60LF in it.

For longer run time, the M60LL (18 hrs. flat reg. @ about 60 lmns.)

My .02 FWIW YMMV

neoflare

Newly Enlightened
Just wanting to thank everyone for the input . I'm going to have to have to investigate and research the lights mentioned.
I know this is probably somewhat blasphemous, I had thought of the high power quad cores and such but would that be a case
of too much light? Mind you I have been eying off a couple of them..

I'm leaning towards a Zebralight, I need a head lamp for close up work, if I need to render first aid or play with ropes
and such, I'd have the added bonus of two free hands. I don't have any experience with them (Zebralight), are they suitable
for those tasks?

tx101 , you said it, that's the whole plan and then switch between them depending on the situation. RWT1405 I never
thought of modding the Surefire, I'll have to look into that

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

hang on to your wallet too :D

I have a Led Lenser P14, it runs off 4xAA cells and is surprisingly very powerful. The thing about this light is that it has adjustable focus, being capable of being a pure floody light to a tight spot by just shifting the head up and down, in a er.... well, you-know-what-i-mean kind of up and down motion. you can see it here

Its got 3 levels, do a half press in and you get turbo, full click you get high, another click you get low and a third click turns the light off.

Great light though i havent tested its durability yet, about the size of a Mag 2D (a bit smaller) but with much better output. Apparently according to this review it will run 3 hours plus on high (and that is to the point where output is down noticeably but still having some light) and the first link i posted says it runs for 100 hours, i'm assuming that is on low and milking every last lumen out of the cells, so i'd be conservative and say 50 hours of usable light (untested though).

Another thread here to compare beamshots