Nitecore D10 - anything better yet than this?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm down to a single Nitecore D10 after giving a few away as gifts to people who asked to borrow them and then decided they loved them too much to give them back. :oops: Actually they turned into flashaholics with the D10 so I don't mind giving them the lights to get them started on this hobby. :devil:

Anyway, I'm looking at replenishing my inventory of D10s, looking at the GDP+ and R2. Before I buy a few more, just thought I'd ask if there are any 1AA lights that are as good or better than the Nitecore D10s that have been introduced in the last 6 months or so.

I have had the LF5XT and didn't care for it, have looked over the Quark series and although have not held one, don't think it would be as good as the D10 for my needs. Although I'd love to hear your responses.

I spent a few hours browsing 4seven's site looking over all the lights but could never spend enough time to read all the user reviews, etc., to figure out if anything has supplanted the Nitecore D10 as the best 1AA LED light.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!

There are several factors and opinions included in the definition of what is the best one. I have D10 GDP and like it. The handling is good with the knurled surface and the beam is smooth. The piston drive system is very nice and quiet. Hotspot is wide and not very intense and this light therefore is mainly for short distance illumination.
You can vary between very low and high brightness which is suitable for different purposes. But personally I prefer to have several fixed brightness levels instead of a stepless. This is my opinion of course. But I don't think you can go wrong with D10.

Regards, Patric

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
There're a few new AAs in town that are pretty great. But D10 is a class by itself, namely because of the piston drive in an AA offering.

An alternative you might want to try out is NDI. ;)

slate

Newly Enlightened
I have yet to find anything better than a D10 R2. The only thing missing is a strobe function and I probably would never use it but would like to know it is available. I have a Nitecore NDI for the strobe but the D10 always gets carried! Stick with the D10 for now.

bansuri

Enlightened
First of all: Kudos to you for giving them away!!!!
If you think of the less productive ways people spend money they might as well be giving it away, your idea gives back long term dividends.

The D10-R2 is a great light to give people because while flexible, the interface wont get anyone in trouble like the LF5XT could. (lost in a programming sub-menu).

I'd say stick with the D10 for now but don't buy too many in case they upgrade emitters soon.
You might also recommend Lithium AA's or enloops so they don't wind up with a dead light after a leaky Alkaline.

I've given away most of my old DX lights and such, but you've really taken it to a new level!

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Are they supposed to upgrade the emitters anytime soon?

I asked Nitecore if they would make any other models of PD lights and if they would have any versions with newer emitters.
They responded that there will not be any more models, but will be versions with newer emitters.

moses

Enlightened
I wrote asking for a 18650 cell running MC-E at 600 lumenst out the bulb. Sorry to say they won't be making something like that. Piston is my fav design.

Mo

sappyg

Enlightened
There're a few new AAs in town that are pretty great. But D10 is a class by itself, namely because of the piston drive in an AA offering.

An alternative you might want to try out is NDI. ;)

every once in a while i get to wanting one of those NDIs but so far i can think of nothing that out classes the D10.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The one 1xAA I like better than the D10 is the JetBeam Jet I Mk IBS; 2-120 lumens on a standard AA, out to 225 on a 14500 (brighter than even the R2 D10). The interface uses a brightness ramp like the D10, but has three modes similar to memories on a car radio - you find an output you like on the ramp and write it to a mode, then you can quickly blip between your modes rather than having to use the ramp, it's much faster and efficient, plus there's a broad selection of strobes/locators/SOSs to choose from that you can also have as a mode(s). And its beam profile is virtually identical to the D10s, a just-right combination of throw and flood.

The catch is that these were only made for a few months, and were discontinued about a year ago. The current JetBeam PRO models were a marked change from the Mk designs, and aren't as powerful, balanced, or useful. I EDC an Mk IBS daily, and if I lost it (and couldn't find another through the marketplace), the D10 would be my runner-up.

hatman

Enlightened
On some days, I prefer to EDC my Quark AA-t instead of my D10.

While the D10 is just a hair shorter and has my all-time favorite clip -- once its on! -- the Quark clip also is very useful and the beam is brighter than the D10 with the lithiums I generally use.

Those who like the D10 might like all the brightness selections in the AA non-tactical; I'm considering ordering one in titanium to add to my 123-2-t order.

The AA is 3.8 inches and the 123-2 is just 4.5 inches -- both are easy to EDC in my front pocket, and I rotate each with the D10.

juplin

Enlightened
Nitecore has a new D10 SP XP-E R2.
Original D10 interface is replaced by Low, Medium, High, SOS, and Flash modes. Pressing the bottom once will cycle through Low, Medium and High modes. Quickly pressing twice will trigger SOS mode, while quickly pressing twice followed by hold will trigger flash mode.
The following linked thread show some photos of D10 SP XP-E R2 including excellent beam shots. :thumbsup:
http://www.shoudian.com/thread-100889-1-1.html

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
If you like modes then I would say yes. But if you want simple..... then I dont think the D10 would qualify. I think the lumapower conexion gives it a run for its money.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Original D10 interface is replaced by Low, Medium, High, SOS, and Flash modes. Pressing the bottom once will cycle through Low, Medium and High modes. Quickly pressing twice will trigger SOS mode, while quickly pressing twice followed by hold will trigger flash mode.
The following linked thread show some photos of D10 SP XP-E R2 including excellent beam shots. :thumbsup:
Interesting. I still prefer the regular interface as I don't really need or want a strobing or sos feature. If it was buried away in the UI it wouldn't bother me though. I still love my D10-R2 and haven't seen anything that would replace it as my EDC. The form factor is perfect.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

:shakehead :thumbsdow

Last edited:

juplin

Enlightened
I know that ... :naughty:
Most posters in the linked thread also don't like the new interface of D10 SP XP-E R2.:poke:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that ... :naughty:
Most posters in the linked thread also don't like the new interface of D10 SP XP-E R2.:poke:

Yeah, I sure agree with them. I wonder what made Nitecore change something which is already working great.

Once again now, :shakehead :thumbsdow

Think I better stock up on the current R2. ;)

Lagerregal

Newly Enlightened
The catch is that these were only made for a few months, and were discontinued about a year ago. The current JetBeam PRO models were a marked change from the Mk designs, and aren't as powerful, balanced, or useful. I EDC an Mk IBS daily, and if I lost it (and couldn't find another through the marketplace), the D10 would be my runner-up.

I have to disagree. I like the new "pro" ones better. A bit longer, better build, better heat-control, more efficient driver and much better throw while nearly as bright...

The new UI of the D10 ist CRAP. A D10 with the old UI and XP-E would have been great... -.-

sappyg

Enlightened

:confused: why would nitecore mess up a good thing? :shakehead