Your age and your Flashlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Dusty*

Enlightened
I'm interested to see if people's ages have any influence on their choice of flashlights?

Does the wisdom that is meant to come with years and experience lead you choose head over heart, or are most CPF'ers picking flashlights as tools to be used for a purpose/because they are new and shiney (see what I did there ?? :nana: )

AusKipper

Enlightened
I think your "Flashaholic Age" + "current frequent use" flashlight is more what your after.

Me:

Flashaholic age: 2 years

Frequent Use Flashlights:
Fenix TK10
Fenix TK20
Fenix TK40
Zebralight H501

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been interested in flashlights as long as I can remember. Personally I cannot tell any relation between my age and the kind of flashlights. But I think AusKipper has a point here. If I refer to my "flashoholic age" (which now is ca 2 years) I have noticed that in the same way I still find very bright lights fascinating, I also have learned to appreciate very low brightness levels. Different brightnesses for different purposes. I think this is a natural way in the maturity of the flashoholic to not only appreciate maximum brightness but optimal brightness for the given task.

Regards, Patric

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actual age: early retirement.

Flashaholic age: 6 years
Bedside: Fenix L1T v2.0
Desk: Elektrolumens 3C P7 M@g
EDC: Millermods ArcAAA 2 stage Cree Q4WH/Nitecore EZAAw

Flashaholic age: 4-5 years
Bedside: Fenix L1P/Fenix L1T v2.0
Desk: Elektrolumens Lucidus XR-1
EDC: Fenix L0D CE/Civictor V1

Flashaholic age: 2-3 years
Bedside: Fenix L1P
Desk: Nexxtech 3AAA 1Watt
EDC: Fenix L0P SE/Civictor V1

Flashaholic age: 1 year
General use: Radio Shack branded Turtlelight (Dorcy 4AA 1LED floating lantern/Cool Blue)
EDC: Dorcy AAA

Flashaholic age: -1 year
General use: Dorcy 2AA incan
EDC: M@g Solitaire

As you can see my flashlights have changed over the years from the 3 lumens of the Turtlelight to 500 lumens P7 but the principles have stayed the same:
Bedside: Easy to operate in the middle of the night
Desk/General use: Brightest I got
EDC: Most pocketable

In general I've mostly stayed away from multimode/programmable and funny batteries though I do have some. Maybe at my age I want to KISS.

sappyg

Enlightened
I think your "Flashaholic Age" + "current frequent use" flashlight is more what your after.

flashaholic age about 1 year. as such i had no experience with good flashlights and still only a smidge of what most have here. early into this i would buy a flashlight for the experience as much as anything. now my needs are better defined and my frequently used lights show it:

nitecore D10
fenix TK20
fenix E01
NT 120p

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholic age: about 1 year.

EDC'd a NEX for most of that year, got a LunaSol 20 from the last wave, and it looks like it'll be staying as my EDC for some time.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
Flashaholic age 5+ years.
I first became interested when I was 11 yo, but now 43, at last being retired I have the money to indulge my hobby better.
I used to carry a massive old style 55 watt searchlight type light, very big and bulky, but got odd looks, took it everywhere!!
Now wiser I found LED, my fave 3 letters.
IMO you only need these 3 letters to have fun.
tabetha

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i agree.. time spent here learning from others, and buying things to test on your own, help to refine your list of Need and Want and Requirements you have for your flashlight.

i know it has happened to me. more i know, more demanding i become.

30 +years

true flashaholic age: 9 months or so.

before flashaholism: semi-edc´d UK 4AA incan for 8 or so years.

flashlight that started my holism: fenix tk11.

flashlights i have now: little under 20. (if i counted right i think the Ti quark should be the 20th or 21st that i buy.)

flashlight average price: about 30$ (highest is about 80$, most used ones are in 60$range)

my flashlights are to be used. and they cant be too expensive to use/lose/break/replace. (and i am poor so cant afford better.)

most used as EDC/semi-edc role at the moment: d10, qwaat, lmini2, lummi raw.

**general rule of thumb.. the custom and high end lights are owned by mostly by the: rich whom want the bragging rights/older flashaholics that want the best as the "normal" lights dont impress them no more/engineering geeks whom go giddy when they get something techy and cool/professionals that need superior quality as their lives might depend of it. (no pun intended but this is how i see it)

roguesw

Enlightened
Actual age: 31
Flashaholic age: 22, I have been interested in flashlights since the age of 6 or 7, asking my parents for flashlights whenever I can. I used to get free pen lights because my mum was a nurse and they got given them by the pharmaceutical companies.
Flashlight modding age :) about 6 years. I bought the early McLux TK kits and built them and have been progressing ever since. I quite enjoy modding lights, its fun.
Working on a tri-MC-E light right now.

Current flashlights
L4 (upgraded Lux V emitter)
M3T with ArcMania Tower module (SSC P4 DB1000)
M6 Megallenium (host for 3x MC-e Build right now)
McGizmo PR-T with 2x123 Ti body (SSC P4 DB750)
McGizmo PR with 1x123 McClickie body (Lux V , this is the third Lux V emitter swap , BB750)
McGizmo PD proto with Diamond Dragon emitter (my first 2 level light)

I find that I always want to upgrade to the latest emitters and the lights that I have bought is easily upgradeable.
I like bright lights but since using the 2 level light, I really appreciate a low level , its very nice to use and kind to the eyes at night.

I really like engineering and really love the engineering that goes into custom lights. I own a couple. Also, with custom lights, they really sparked an interest in modding and now
I am saving up money to get a lathe so I can start building in the future.
Working on a custom heatsink with only hand files and a rotary tool is a major PIA.

All of my lights are users, none are shelf queens, they have all knocks and dings. I am starting to get the Ti bug now for flashlights, they just hold up better over my Aluminum lights.

Flashlights also got me thinking about better efficiency for home lighting, I have a few spare leftover LEDs that I will be converting to use in home.

gsxrac

Enlightened
I would say most flashaholics (or at least the guys in the LED forum ;) ) Probably upgrade their collections as technology increases which is almost every day!

Actual age: 22 Flashaholic age: 22

List of flashlights I own in the order of how often their used:
EDC
Ra Clicky Tactical 140
Electrolumens EDC-P7
Surefire LX2 with F04
Malkoff MD2 2-stage with M30

In my bag
Surefire C2-HA with M60LL
Surefire 6PL
Olight M20 premium

At home in my flashlight toolbox
Surefire E1E with 1st gen KL1 head
Surefire 6P with P90
Coast Frogman 4XAAA
M*g 4D
M*g 3D
My Fiancee's Collection
Surefire G2Z with Ebay drop-in
Fenix P1D

Random lights that I dont know their exact location
Petzl incan headlamp
2X Princeton 5mm headlamps
Fisher price blue and yellow incan

Yet to arrive
XTAR Howitzer!!!
Zebralight H60

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
38 years old.

My lights are all tools for a purpose, though I've technically got all those purposes covered twice, or maybe thrice:D

There is stuff coming that will change my lineup of complete users, plus some that will be up for sale, so I'll post what it should be by the end of the week.

I have one "thrower" that is also my only remaining incan.

My regular users all use neutral Cree emitters, and all run on AW's protected Li-ion cells with the option of using primaries. A Pila IBC charger handles all of the Li-ions. Since it won't top off R123s that haven't been discharged deeply enough, a no-name(DSD?) dedicated 2x16340 charger that reliably ends the charge at 4.19V is used for that.
The 2x123 SF E series(or compatible) all use McTC tailcaps and McClicky switches which tailstand, and have easily replaceable switches and rubber boots.

Throw:
-bored out SF M3T with Lumens Factory HO-M3T lamp assemblies on AW IMR18500 cells.
Users:
-SF E2L with McTC, Q4-5B emitter, cut-down McR19XR reflector, light diffusing film inside the lens...17670 cells for this one, though it does regulate on low with 2xR123 if slightly drained.
-SF E2DL w/long clip, McTC, Q3-5A emitter, F04 diffuser
-Malkoff M60W hosted by: McTC, SF E2D body w/long clip, VME bezel
-Malkoff M60WLF hosted by: McTC, black HA Aleph 2x123 body, VME bezel
-Zebralight H30 x2
Keyring:
-Arc AAA-P

Wanted a 2AA light, and am trying out a Quark 2AA Tactical with Q3-5A emitter, and Olight diffuser. May buy a second with extra bodies for some added versatility, but that remains to be seen.

No desire for brighter lights at the moment, but can see jumping on the bandwagon for higher output emitters if their increased efficiency is put to use in the form of greater runtime at similar output. Mine are all adequate as they are, though(otherwise those Malkoffs would be running on 2x18500 instead of 2xR123).

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I have the money to indulge my hobby better...

My actual age is 47. I now buy my lights for the wimsey, not the practical. I could easily get by with the 1st 5 "high-end" lights I bought, Mag 3D (yes I consider the original Maglights highend, they brought flashlights to the masses, lets give credit where credit is due), Arc AAA, SF E2D, SF L2, and Tikka (I don't know how I got by all those years without a decent headlamp!). I still have them and the L2 is in my current rotation!

I have about 15 Surefires including a Turbo'd C3 and the mighty M6.

10 Arcs including the Arc6.

3 Muyshondt's, well actually 2, my wife won't give back "her" Ion.

Lots of misc. lights that were given to me or were bought in bulk.

I'm not practical, I'm tacticool!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashoholic Age: 3 1/2 months

Started with a 4D mag at 7 or 8 years old.
Then got a TK11 in may... and now just look below this :D

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Actual age- 57
Flashaholic age- 6+

My years of experience still won't protect me from buying lights I don't need. In fact, I haven't really needed a new light for a long time. But I stopped worrying about a need, too, and just buy what appeals.

Geoff

nitetimeistheritetime

Newly Enlightened
Real age: 22
Flashaloism age: 9

Current heavy use: Pentagon Light Molle, Fenix E1, Mag 2D LED, Fulton with nite-ize low power LED.

Wants:) Malkoff drop in for Surefire G3

Ctrain

Enlightened
Actual age 30 **cringe**
Flashaholic age about 10yrs

Started with a few mags, sumbled across an Inova, photons... Then found the holy grail.. The SF website **insert birght lightnd fuzzy music**. I generally only keep up to 8 at a time (Funds)... I love CPFMP Have previously at one point owned the following:

Surefire
E1E x 2
E2E x 3
E2 Camo
8NX
6P/M60
9P Turbo Head
C2 Soon to be Current again
C2 Camo (how I miss it, it was me not you)
M3
M4
M6 (pls come home, Best looking Flashlight ever made IMO)
L4
E1B
E2DL
LX2 Current (Love it)

Nitecore
EX10 GDP
D10 GDP R2 Current
EZ123
EZAA Current
NDI Q5 R2 Current

Fenix
LD10
P3D
PD20 Current (the GF's)
TK10

Novatac
120P

I'm a loyal Surefire and Nitecore man as you can tell.

I don't think I've missed any... Wish funds had've let me keep them all!!!!!!!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actual Age: 30, 5 (?) years as a flashaholic...

Strictly a Surefire man (23 and counting with a U2 on the way...), although I do have a few other's, but these are just loaners/play around lights.

MWClint

Enlightened
Actual age 34
Flashaholic age 1.5 years.

I work nights, so my lights are used constantly.
Pocket lights are all i need..so i usually carry 2 edc lights on my person.
my keychain always has a Peak Matterhorn and my laptop bag has
a Peak Night Patrol K2 TVOD 18650..so i always have 4 lights minimum.

my 5 EDC pairs in rotation:
Peak Pacific AA
Peak Eiger SS

Spy 007
Fenix L0-Ti

McGizmo Ti PD-S 27
McGizmo Ti Sapphire

Ra Twisty 100
Peak Eiger SS

Nitecore EX10
Peak Eiger SS

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholic rule # 4a: You are not a true flashaholic unless the number of flashlights you own is equal to or greater than your age. :D

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholic age: 10 years+
CPF Flashaholic age: ~

Lights:

Fenix LD20 (running Duraloops, Energizer Li's)
Mag-LED 2AA

EDC:

Fenix LD20

Next lights (hopefully):

Quark AA/123 LE Ti
Fenix TK20
Any jetbeam...

Status
Not open for further replies.