Time for a Revamp - Drop-ins or Replace?

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I seem to have acquired a bunch of CR123 incan torches over the past few years and I'm wondering whether to simply have a clear out and buy a couple of more modern LED lights or to buy drop-ins for some of the current ones. I've had a read of the P60 drop-ins post but I'm not really up to date on some of the latest emitters.

Here's the lights I'm looking to replace / upgrade:

SF 6P/R (my original "proper" flashlight from 1997.....)

SF G2.

Vital Gear FB3 with a Vital Gear head (3 CR123s). I love VG bodies :)

Vital Gear FB2 with a SF E2D head (still don't think an LED can be dropped into this head?)

Pila GL2. I bought this in mid 2005. Not sure if this age model is SF compatible for P drop-ins?

Pila GL4. Bought around the same time, not sure whether I've got a use for an LED drop-in for such a powerful form factor when I could drop in a Lumens Factory Incan unit. This would be an emergency torch only.

I think that's all the incans I can find that might benefit from drop-ins.

All lights bar the GL4 will be in packs for fishing / hunting / general emergency use.

I plan on using the DX 17593 drop-in for the 2 cell lights (not sure whether this will drop straight into the Pila GL2??). I'm also considering a premium LED for one of the 2 cells, maybe Lumens Factory or Nailbender?

As far as the 3 and 4 cell lights go I'm stumped. Again, maybe a Nailbender creation?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
edit: drop-ins..unless yuo wish to change form factor...also I tend to take into consideration the reflector and the resulting beam for my lights ALOT....

well it seems you have found your way with the 2-cells...

I do not know about the VG 3 cell head, but I would use the body for a 2xAA setup (same battery column length)

The GL4 screams for a Lumens factory screaming xenon upgrade....browse their site for many options...
and maybe a LED option from the same folks?

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know personally that the Pila GL2 is P60 compatible. Their LED drop in modules won't work in all P60 lights because they are too bulky, but a P60 will work in theirs just fine.

If you are looking for good drop-ins, I would recommend taking a gander at the Malkoff M60 series (http://www.malkoffdevices.com). Those are amazing little beasts that perform very well.

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys!

I started the spending spree by picking up a couple of incans...... The LF HO-E2A for my E2D, HO-12 for the GL4 and a D26 3 mode LED for the 2 cell SF P & compatibles. I decided against the Malkoff as I'd rather experiment with cheaper drop-ins for the moment.

I'll pick up a couple of DX 17593s as well.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Dave