Northern tools deal!

forkandbowl

Newly Enlightened
I stopped by to pick up a tarp and saw a flashlight there for 6 dollars that claimed 120 lumens. It is a northern industrial branded 2 "c" cell light. I have no way of verifying its claim, but in a comparison using 2 duracell "c" batteries vs a surefire g2 with the p60 bulb it clearly dominates. It has a nice even beam with a tight center focus and much better throw than the surefire or a 4 "d" cell maglight incandescent I has as well. It has a clear white light and never got even warm during use. The led itself is attached to a decent sized block of aluminum that i assume works as a heat sink. My only complaint is that when took it apart, the o-ring on the front fell apart. The threads are a little less than smooth, but they are lubed. I have a romisen rc-n3 on the way and will compare it when it arrives. I think that for 6 dollars this light is a steal.

tennisplyr3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your impressions! I'm surprised that there aren't more quality LED flashlights out there that use C-batteries.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of those, and $6.00 IS a steal! Both of mine have different tints. I had to return one twice to get a light that worked all the time. The switch on it still has to be pushed into the tail every now and then. My main beef with it is the tail cap itself. The strike bezel on it is so large, I can not use my thumb to access the switch to turn it on or off. I have to use my index finger, and I have pretty large hands. They sell a smaller version of this light that uses 3 AAA batteries in a holder. It is the only light like that where an 18650 battery would fit right in it without any kind of adapter. You may want to look into that one also!

DM51

Flashaholic
Posts of this type usually belong in the Good Deals section in the MP, but I'm letting it stand here as it is as much a mini-review as a good deal notification.

You'll need to change the thread title to give the light's correct name/designation, preferably with a photo as well.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
I stopped by to pick up a tarp and saw a flashlight there for 6 dollars that claimed 120 lumens. It is a northern industrial branded 2 "c" cell light. I have no way of verifying its claim, but in a comparison using 2 duracell "c" batteries vs a surefire g2 with the p60 bulb it clearly dominates. It has a nice even beam with a tight center focus and much better throw than the surefire or a 4 "d" cell maglight incandescent I has as well. It has a clear white light and never got even warm during use. The led itself is attached to a decent sized block of aluminum that i assume works as a heat sink. My only complaint is that when took it apart, the o-ring on the front fell apart. The threads are a little less than smooth, but they are lubed. I have a romisen rc-n3 on the way and will compare it when it arrives. I think that for 6 dollars this light is a steal.

What kind of tarp did you get?

forkandbowl

Newly Enlightened
Im trying to get pics up now. The light is a northern industrial item#160790 3 watt tactical hand torch. It is ~7" long with a recessed switch on the tail and anodized aluminum body. I too cannot use my thumb to turn it on easily and I wear a medium glove. I have used it quite a bit recently as a firefighter and everyone is shocked when I tell them what I paid.

I bought a medium grade 5mil 18x20 tarp for my boat canopy, but it was too large so I swapped it out for a heavy duty 12x20. :D