Dereelight Q4 5A/B

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
In look for some warm emitters, I found the Dereelight with the new Q4 5A/B pill.

What exactly means 5A/B? Is it 5A OR 5B or is it something in between? While ordering I asked and told them I want the warmest possible, they didn't reply but sent me a CL1H V4 and a C2H. They come from HK, I once should get something (not a flashlight) from there, was sent twice, never arrived. Let's hope for the best! They do everything via Paypal, to have some insurance I suppose

Has someone a light with one of these pills (or the lights)? How do they compare to a natural white? I found some beamshots, from the Q35A, looked like what I wanna have.

Greets,

Henk

R@ndom

Enlightened
In look for some warm emitters, I found the Dereelight with the new Q4 5A/B pill.

What exactly means 5A/B? Is it 5A OR 5B or is it something in between? While ordering I asked and told them I want the warmest possible, they didn't reply but sent me a CL1H V4 and a C2H. They come from HK, I once should get something (not a flashlight) from there, was sent twice, never arrived. Let's hope for the best! They do everything via Paypal, to have some insurance I suppose

Has someone a light with one of these pills (or the lights)? How do they compare to a natural white? I found some beamshots, from the Q35A, looked like what I wanna have.

Greets,

Henk

Hi, I believe they are the same warmness. One is more yellowish (5B) and one is more reddish (5A).

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156772

xenonk

Enlightened
Yes, 5A and 5B are in the same CCT band. The 5B is just a little more yellow and the 5A a little more pink. The difference isn't even obvious unless you're directly comparing two light sources against a white wall. The 5A & 5B are actually neutral white; they just call them warm because they are warmer than the cool white LEDs everyone is accustomed to.

Both are the same "warmth". You need to specify which tint bin you want otherwise they'll just send whichever is on hand.

I've got a DBS with a Q4 5B pill from their last batch that I use in the woods, and I like the tint a lot. It's much easier to identify what I'm lighting up compared to a cool R2. The tint is a little more yellow than sunlight when shone right up against a sunlit wall.

I've been waiting for these to come back for sale so I could get another pill, and what's up with the 3.4% sales tax being applied on checkout? It seems in line with the paypal fee, but "tax" is a dirty word. :sick2:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sweetness!! Looks like were starting to see brighter BIN warm tints.

I have been very impressed with the Q2-5A module in my SF-M2.:twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweetness!! Looks like were starting to see brighter BIN warm tints.

I have been very impressed with the Q2-5A module in my SF-M2.:twothumbs

Starting to see? :) I've had a Q4 5B Dereelight pill since May, ordered it 5/1 actually. :)

We should have Q5 5B's by now! :D

bkumanski

Enlightened
I recently got a Q4 pill from Jay (Flashcrazy) from flashlightconnection.com. According to Jay (and confirmed from Dereelight cust service) Dereelight is out of the Q4s at the moment. They have plenty of Q3s, which are also warm colored, but not wuite as bright (don't ask me, I don't know by how much:thinking:) Jay still has a few of the multi battery pills (I think), but they are temporarily in short supply. I Love my Q4 pill. I use it with my MC-E OP reflector and it makes for a really nice, decent throw beam with great color rendition. Up close, the MCE wins hands down, but anything more than 50 yards, the Q4 really shines (no pun intended :naughty:) and you really can "see" what it it you are lighting up. Great pill if you can get your hands on one, and cheaper than buying a whole new light.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked what they sent me, they currently only have 5A in, and according to what I've read here, it's what I'm looking for.

As for the Q-Bin, they clearly state that the lights are Q4, so I hope and believe I will get a Q4! It should be written on the pill, isn't it?

I'm looking forward to the lights and how they comare to the TK20 Q2 neutral white and the Quarks Q3 neutral white (which I love) :cool:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there wil be a label on the pill. There's not really a place for it, since the outer surface is threaded. When I bought a complete dropin with 3SM Q3-5A pill there was a sticker on the reflector with the model designation.

I'm torn on this 5A vs. 5B business. I want to say I prefer the 5A, because most of my 5As have been "just right", but some of them lean too much toward red. My only 5B is a bit yellower than I'd like, but better than the redder 5As.
Guess to a certain extent it's still a lottery, though the losers are still a lot better than last year's jackpot winners, IMO.

Niteowl

Enlightened
I don't think there wil be a label on the pill. There's not really a place for it, since the outer surface is threaded. When I bought a complete dropin with 3SM Q3-5A pill there was a sticker on the reflector with the model designation. ........

There should be a label on the bag the pill comes in.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
There should be a label on the bag the pill comes in.

I got all my answers from Alan from Dereelight, very friendly and patient man! :thumbsup:

The Q4-5B have been out of stock for several weeks, but they have the Q4-5A which are labeled Q4-5B though and which are in my lights.

I can't wait to get them, but I fear that it could take 3 weeks from HK to Europe... :sigh:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sarge, please share:

is the yellow more "sun like?" Is it easier on the eyes? Is the 5A too pinkish? Does it look even more natural?

?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yes the 5B has a more yellow hint to it sort of like sunlight.
It is MUCH easier on the eyes that a regular cool tint and a bit more pleasing that the 5A.

The 5A is nice but compared to a 5B it loses it's charm. Not that it's too pinkish on it's own but I have a lot of lights and once you do a side by side there is no removing the results from your memory. The 5B is what I always wanted an LED to look like but never found, the 5A is a close second.

At top blasting power the differences are slight but when you start cutting back the power to save on runtime then the differences become more obvious. The 5B seems to hold it's nice tint at lower levels than the 5A can but I do have a limited number of samples on hand. A great test is taking them both outside to look at grass and trees, it clears things up quicker than being inside.

Last edited:

Mikellen

Enlightened
I got all my answers from Alan from Dereelight, very friendly and patient man! :thumbsup:

The Q4-5B have been out of stock for several weeks, but they have the Q4-5A which are labeled Q4-5B though and which are in my lights.

I can't wait to get them, but I fear that it could take 3 weeks from HK to Europe... :sigh:

So Deerelight sends out Q4 5A but they are incorrectly labelled Q4 5B? :confused:

xenonk

Enlightened
So Deerelight sends out Q4 5A but they are incorrectly labelled Q4 5B? :confused:
They had better not in my case.

I received an email from dereelight a couple days ago notifying me that the Q4 warms were available again, so I ordered another pill as I've been waiting to do. I let them know in no uncertain terms that the pill was to be the 5B tint even if it meant waiting for supply. I'm in the same boat as Sgt. LED; I love that golden tint.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what I was told. They had no new labels with 5A available, so they took the 5B labels.

Sounds weird, yes, I would have taken a pen and simply change it. Perhaps they didn't do as the 5B batch has been sold out since long. If you only have one tint available, it may seem logical to you that everything you sent out surely is of the only batch you have. The customer, who receives it, doesn't see the logic behind of course, he thinks he got the wrong stuff.

But, perhaps they correct it on the pills, I ordered flashlights and I will probably open them for the first time when I got a S5/4B pill! :crazy:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are quite close overall but I like 5A ever so slightly more. It makes reds pop more and has less yellow.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sun is white last time I checked

Is it?

4380312945_985c5d8676_o.jpg

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the 5B has a more yellow hint to it sort of like sunlight.
It is MUCH easier on the eyes that a regular cool tint and a bit more pleasing that the 5A.

The 5A is nice but compared to a 5B it loses it's charm. Not that it's too pinkish on it's own but I have a lot of lights and once you do a side by side there is no removing the results from your memory. The 5B is what I always wanted an LED to look like but never found, the 5A is a close second.
I agree, to a certain extent. 5A looks "brighter" than 5B. I don't mean brighter in lumens, but like if you turned the brightness up on your TV, monitor, whatever. Outside, in the woods, and at home, I prefer 5B because it's more realistic. At my work, where the surroundings are very dark colored, and often not lit at all, 5A makes details and edges stand out more distinctly. Regardless, I like 5A pretty well, unless it's a really reddish one.

Was looking at Dereelight's site just the other day, and they're listing their latest neutrals as 5C, and I may order one just for the chance to see a new(to me) bin...no matter how nerdy just saying that made me feel:eek: