Should I take him?? (Dog)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Ok I have a situation and am kind of torn on what to do. I have always been a dog person and after having to put down my old friend Zeus,several years back, I simply never had it in me to have another. It just hurt too much to grow attached then have to say goodbye.....

Well I began working with local shelters just to be around animals however had no intention of adopting......then this little guy showed up and I have a chance to take him.

I am very good with animals and have no doubt I could raise another animal and show it much love. My fear is that if I am in doubt should I take a chance? I worry that if my heart is really not in it all the way maybe it would be best to let someone else take this puppy. My g/f adopted a female staffordshire terrier and she really wants a companion for her. I really love the little adopted female dog however it is not the same as again having my own dog.

I met the dog in the link above this weekend and he sure is a little bundle of fun. He is bigger now (6 months) however still has those sad eyes.....almost like he is begging me to take him. Many have said it is best for animal people to jump right in to pet ownership after losing one. In a way I agree however again I would want to do my best.....and if my heart is still un-sure could I be the owner to this puppy that I was to my old friend Zeus.

Now that I think about it I want to say who do I think I am fooling here....how could anyone resist that little bundle of fur.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Hell yes you should take him. I'm not into pit bulls ONLY because too many other people get scared by them. Nothing wrong with the dog/breed itself, as Cesar Milan shows with his Dog Whisperer pack in LA. That puppy is absolutely adorable.

There is only one way to heal the hole left by losing a devoted dog, and that is getting another when you are ready. All the doubts disappear, and the bond starts almost immediately. As far as I am concerned, dogs bring out the very best in people by loving even the very worst about us. Their unconditional love makes us better people.

He looks like he needs you as much as you need him. Your heart will be in it fully. Trust me on this one.

Last edited:

Robocop

I have been walking the line for months now and have rescued several dogs and have been tempted many times. I thought working with area shelters would satisfy my need to be around animals and kind of get it out of my system......I was very wrong as all it has done is make me want more to take every dog I see home.

Honestly I am in a good place as far as being able to own an animal again. I have no children and neither does my g/f. I have a 3 bedroom home with full garage and about an acre back yard fenced in. I make excellent money and have very few bills. I have tried to talk myself out of it many times and each time have a list of excuses. The fact is it is mostly simple fear and a selfish attitude to prevent me from growing close to another animal.

I worry that my fear would prevent me from being the best I could be with an animal...however you realize this is just another excuse I am fabricating in this web of denial.....:)

For those of us here who have been really hurt from the loss of a companion were you able to simply move on once you found another pet? Has anyone quickly adopted another pet and wished you had not done so? I thought I would ask here as I have to keep up my tough cop persona at work and could not let on that this little puppy has got to me......thanks for any input and for anyone looking locally I have many more waiting in line for good homes.

Robocop

I have learned so much working at the shelter and one thing I quickly found is that the bully breed is simply incredible. It really does not matter to me as far as breed goes. I have seen some really abused animals in all powerful breeds make incredible gains with some simple positive attention.

My old dog was a big brute however very gentle and the dog my g/f just adopted is a pit bull terrier that is also a sweety. She adopted very quickly and also had to put down her old dog that was a 15 year old pit bull terrier. I have spent much time with abused animals lately and shelter dogs really seem to appreciate any attention you can give them.

The little girl below is Bella and belongs to my g/f Kerry.....she also met the little puppy and they became fast friends. Bella was a bait dog in a very bad situation before the shelter rescued her. She is now a little lover and does seem to need a friend to romp around the house with.

Greta

Flashaholic
Good heavens man! Get your butt over to that shelter and get that thing! NOW! Stop being such a wuss! Geez! :ohgeez:

;) :grin2:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
sounds to me that in your heart, you've already made the decision, and you just need us to say "Jerk - do it you fool - if you don't, you'll regret it" (said in a nice way, they way you do among friends)

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thoughts you are having about your heart not being 100% in for a new dog already show that you are not careless about adopting him. I am sure your doubts will be gone as soon as you gave that little fellow a new home. Seems to be a cute pup.

Eric

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG! That dog is beautiful, go get him! Stanley is a perfect name IMO.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your in the country maybe. In the city, I wouldn't take it for any price. No I'm not a dog hater either. We have had many attacks here, enough to change laws in fact. And no, I'm not going to argue breed's either. My opinion.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging on how you felt about your last friend I say take him. Sound like you have a lot of love to give. Once you get him home and start taking care of him I think you will give him the best you have. Nothing will ever replace Zeus but the little guy needs a home and I'm sure you can give a great one.

brucec

Enlightened
Judging on how you felt about your last friend I say take him. Sound like you have a lot of love to give. Once you get him home and start taking care of him I think you will give him the best you have. Nothing will ever replace Zeus but the little guy needs a home and I'm sure you can give a great one.

Right, and when you go to pick him up, you should say "Come with me, or there will be.....trouble." You know, just for effect.

Congratulations on the new dog!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
if in doubt. dont.

its easy 10 year commintment.

any doubt. dont.

but the time is running out. you need to make a decision soon if you want it to be well trained and truly part of your "pack".

6mo is in my mind already a bit old to get. (i believe in getting them as puppys and teaching them and living with them from get go. "we are your family and we teach you everything you need to know" -approach)

also.. new dog cant replace the old. must think it as clean slate and never compare them :)

a good dog is a good dog.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like your heart is in this regardless of what your mind says.Helping at the dog shelter?,c'mon you don't need us to tell you to get this dog!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I can relate to your reluctance but the good news is that reluctance will disappear completely and there will be no regrets if you do go forward. You won't have any problem holding back either; the dog will make it easy for you to dive in the full depth. Make a sacrifice on behalf of the little guy! :nana:

Robocop

I will change his name and was thinking with those blue eyes I may call him "Sinatra"

I also like "Balboa" or maybe "Vegas" since he was so lucky to survive. Maybe something like "DeNiro" or "Capone" ....if I do take him the hardest part is the name.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will change his name
Hallelujah! I was thinking, hoping, that surely you would!
Um..let me know when/if you bring him home. You know how I am with them.
I don't even need to see Bella, though. Much as I loved Zeus and Nikita, Bella I wanted to take home with me:sigh:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
6mo is in my mind already a bit old to get. (i believe in getting them as puppys and teaching them and living with them from get go. "we are your family and we teach you everything you need to know" -approach)

4 years ago i would agree with you in a heartbeat,
but not today, i got my brittany at 8 mo. and his traning and behavior isn't any different from my previous dogs that i got at 1-1.5 mo.
also at 6 mo he is past puppyhood desises that kill puppies at 2-4 mo. i lost one dog at 3 mo. she was born with defective liver. getting a pup at 6 mo. (yes they are still puppies even at 6 mo.) isn't much different, except for the size.

Last edited: