Help me find a LED torch to buy please.

apples

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

Looking to purchase a fine LED torch. It must be of very high quality, have and even beam throw and on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd like the light output to be around the 7-9 mark. With 10 being a big mother torch.

1. Must use common batteries like AA, C or D.
2. Want it soon so if the seller is in the USA they must be able to ship it ASAP via air mail so I can pass it on as a present berfore too long.
or
As I'm in Australia is there anyone who sell these in Oz so that I can get on much quicker.

Size of the torch to be about 5-7" inches long not as big as a MAGLight 3D but bigger than say a MAGLight with the two AA batteries.

So if anyone could help me it would be great.

Cheers,
Peter

Australia

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well working within those confines (you didn't mention budget) I found THIS Fenix TK40 which uses AAs, purportedly chucks a beam to 300m, has a huge output of 600Lm+ (approximately 8+ times the output of a 3D Mag incandescent), sports multiple output levels, is digitally regulated so as to not dim over battery service duration & is 4" shorter than a Mag 3D... $195.00 AUD (shipped) guaranteed to put a smile on your dial when fired up! :grin2:

Here's a CPF review (including torch comparisons) of the Fenix TK40 HERE :thumbsup:

If that's a bit rich for the blood, try Jaycar's they've got a selection of LED torches better than most BM stores, also check out your local camping/gun shops I've seen these establishments offering anything from Surefire & Maglite to LED Lenser (Coast) lights :D

BTW :welcome:

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That charger is slow. Very slow. 8 eneloops will take you over 24 hours.

If you dont mind paying for shipping, you can get a 8 cell maha charger from Thomas distributing and it will arrive in 3 days.

apples

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Australia so shipping would be much longer.

So that charger will take 24hrs, and the other about an hour as I read it.

Do I really need all that fancy othe stuff just to chage batteries?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want AA / C or D you will need to cough up $$

C or D Maglite / possibly with Terralux unit ..

Check out fleabay for Terralux and Maglite .

Fenix TK40 ...

If you give up on the AA C D battery dream , you can have 1 x CR123A flashlight , or 1 x 18650 that will put a stock maglite to shame . :candle:

Its up to you , there are some 3 x AAA torches that are OK , and not overly expensive that function well , and have good power .
You can possibly use them with 1 x 18650 or 1 x 18500 if you buy a charger , and you will still have change from $50
I made a CR123A adapter for use in such lights .

Also you may want to try the smaller AA / 14500 lights , but they wont be powerhouses ..

The other option is a custom job , but your talking $$

What ever you chose , do some research .

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you checked out Fusiongear.com.au? I find them helpful. :)

apples

Newly Enlightened
Have ordered 2 of the Fenix TK40's. One for me on for the old man as a b'day present.

Should poop on the dolphin torch of his.

Egsise

Banned

Yes you do need, smart(and fast) charger extends your batteries cycle life.
Theres no point buying a formula 1 car if you plan to use cheap dino oil in it.

apples

Newly Enlightened
An hour is pretty quick.

Anyone know where I can get eneloop batteries and a good charger for them in Australia?

Peter

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I will get 2 of these.

Good move... even better it seems that the online retailer linked has knocked another $25.00 off their TK40 stock, $195.00 including delivery sweetens the appeal does it not? :D

Why mess with 2 chargers when you can do it all with one? batterydoctor.com.au stocks an 8 cell independent channel unit for $79.00 (suitable for use with Eneloops) :thumbsup:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

It took 3 days for me. I paid for it though. $45 but I didnt mind.

Do you need all that stuff? Well, in my opinion yes. The maha c9000 is brilliant and my only regret is that I didnt get two. I've got many chargers and the c9000 is still the one I use. I have 16 LSD 2000mAh NiMH batteries in rotation with my TK40. Got them from Aldi of all places.

apples

Newly Enlightened
One torch is a present for dad, should be handy for him with all his camping trips he does.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is Thomas distributing located?

Thomas distributing their time zone is CST (USA/Canada) :thumbsup:

One torch is a present for dad, should be handy for him with all his camping trips he does.

He'll love it... he may scare the heck out of fellow campers though! :D

croctk40.jpg

Sorry some of us have way too much time on our hands :p

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
Should **** on the dolphin torch of his.

Oh it will, it will, my Fenix TK11 (240lm) outdoes a dolphin no problems (at least the older ones, not sure about the new ones that are supposedly 30% brighter or whatever).

My TK40 blows my TK11 away...

Your dad is one lucky man!! the TK40 is perfect for camping (so long as you *remember* it has lower modes that will make the batteries last longer.. :p )

I STILL haven't been camping since acquiring mine, but i have no reason to believe it would do anything other than excell.