5W LSs vs. TigerLight, UltraStinger, etc...

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Question: how do the brightest 5 Watt LSs (such as Mr. Bulk's Space Needle II) compare to the brightest incandescents such as the Tiger Light, Ultra Stinger and Mag Rechargeable? How much brighter are the incandescents?

Any one have any lux readings on the Tiger Light, et al?

Finally, what's currently the "brightest" handheld flashlight (Mag 6D size or smaller)? I posted this about 4 months ago, just wondering if anything has changed.

Thanks in advance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
That thread is very informative. As to the brightest handheld flashlight, if you include reasonably accessible modded lights, there is absolutely no doubt. It is the class of rechargeable-driven MR-16 halogen lamp-based lights in Mag bodies such as made by soloco, klaus, ab, etc. at well over 1000 lumens. No other incandescent and certainly not LED comes even close. Of course, unicorns like the SF Beast are bright but how many of those are you likely to see in a lifetime?

Wilkey

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
As to the brightest handheld flashlight, if you include reasonably accessible modded lights, there is absolutely no doubt. It is the class of rechargeable-driven MR-16 halogen lamp-based lights in Mag bodies such as made by soloco, klaus, ab, etc. at well over 1000 lumens.
-------------------------

Wilkey,

You may wanna take a gander at the X990 or Kumkang...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Choua,

I'm aware of those but I didn't count them (my prejudice) because 1) they cost much, much more than the MR-16 mods and 2) they don't exactly "look" like flashlights. Well, maybe the McCulloch looks a little like a chunky, not so sleek, swivel-headed flashlight but it and the KK is clearly a different class of illumination device.

A traditional looking 3D or 4D Mag body that I can carry on a belt loop holster and whip out and light up the side of a two story house...now that's my idea of a bright handheld flashlight. I am, however, admittedly as hardcore as some in this community.

Wilkey

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
That thread is very informative. As to the brightest handheld flashlight, if you include reasonably accessible modded lights, there is absolutely no doubt. It is the class of rechargeable-driven MR-16 halogen lamp-based lights in Mag bodies such as made by soloco, klaus, ab, etc. at well over 1000 lumens. No other incandescent and certainly not LED comes even close. Of course, unicorns like the SF Beast are bright but how many of those are you likely to see in a lifetime?

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Wilkey, interesting, thanks. Do you have a link to specs on the Soloco, Klaus, Ab, et al? I'm interested in purchasing one or more of these. Thanks again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zelandeth said:
OK...it's insanely expensive, but the MaxaBeam should get a mention here I think!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks but the Maxabeam and other "portable" lights are significantly heavier than a 6D Mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'm referring to 6D Mag or smaller/lighter, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
since nobody has really mentioned the topic lights,don't know about the mag charger but the tigerlight kicks but on the ultra stinger, Spaceneedle II, Blaster VI, etc.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
S4, on your original question:

The brightest handheld light you'll find without going into the modded arena is the M6 with the 500 lumens HOLA...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Unless you have a 10X with both the MN31 and MN32 going...
This puts out more light then either of my two M6's running any of my MN21's.

The Tigerlight doesn't get close although I agree it beats the UltraStinger (I have these as well)

I have a few group photos so you can see just how long & thin compared to how short and fat the US is compared to the TL - please email me if you would like to see them.

Al

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tigerlight I have was purchased at the Tactical Warehouse from Dan on Sale for less than $100 and there isn't much in that price range that will touch it. Of course I spent $45 for a Vector 3 mil candle power dual beam spotlight that kicks but on everything under $100 but I think S4MadMan wanted to speak just about flashlights.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ab has been strangly absent from the board (pun almost intended...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i think i would approach other people first...

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth,

Agreed. I just did a search in the Mod forum for "MR16" or "MR-16" and found quite a few different implementations. They all seem to deliver prodigious output. I am sorely tempted to tackle this myself.

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i have a 50w 10degree irc just sitting there on the shelf because i have no way to power it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i need someone to make a smartcharger for 12 nicads in series /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth,

I think you can get a charger to do that from Powerstream, but I don't think it will be cheap. What IRC did you get? One of the Osram's? I'm thinking about picking up a 20W Decostar from Lightbulbdepot.com.

Wilkey

Latest posts