trolling motor + generator

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i hope you guys can tell me if this is a good idea or not.
i have minnkota30 trolling motor, and a optima blue top batt. this combo works great for few hours, than it is recharge time, it is no problem for short fishing trips, however on 3+days trips, it is useless,
so i was thinking, getting a small generator, a converter, and run my motor(draws 30amps, at highest speed), this way i don't have dead battery, and gas is a lot easyer to bring than recharging a batt in the middle of nowhere.

plus batt weights 60lb with box, and plugs.
gen. will be half as much or even less.

i know most small gens. have 120v 20 amp outlet, i'd need a transformer, and bridge rectifier to turn it into 12v 30amps.
so what do you think of this????? do you guys think it'll work? cuz in theory it should, but may be someone with experience, can shed some light on the devil that is in detales.
thanks.

oh the reason why i can't go with obvious best solution (gas outboard) is that i live in app, and smelly gas motor isn't something i want to have in my app. gen i have a place to keep, but not outboard.

Patriot

Flashaholic
For the record I have very limited electrical knowledge. I have to study up well before doing anything with wires...lol.

I just thought I'd post how we charge our trailer batteries while on extended hunting trips....

This
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...tion=P2GG&modelname=EU2000i&modelid=EU2000IAN

plus this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EJV5II/?tag=cpf0b6-20

plus this
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/bluetop/index.php

We've been using this set-up in various forms for years now and we've never had dead batteries since. :)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have any fabrication skills at all, it's a very simple matter to build a frame and belt together a gas engine and an automotive alternator. If both were purchased used then the price could easily be below $100, and you can buy whatever quality/cost components you feel like above that. Tip: a large turn buckle works great for one of the mounting points of your alternator and provides for easy belt tension adjustment. Wiring diagrams for alternators are common online.

:buddies:

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer Iota brand chargers.
They're available in a range of powers, so you can pick the most powerful one your batteries can handle..
also, you could run your motor directly from the generator+Iota without batteries, if you wanted to..

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks guys.
but the reason why i,m thinking gen. converter set up is cuz gen already has motor and generator in one unit, all i need is transformer and bridge rectifier, i really don't have much room in my 11 feet inflatable for separate motor-belt gen- charger. plus once i unload my car it is only me, my dog and my gear, have to keep everything as compact and possible.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer Iota brand chargers.
They're available in a range of powers, so you can pick the most powerful one your batteries can handle..
also, you could run your motor directly from the generator+Iota without batteries, if you wanted to..

yes, a charger, thanks, i didn't think of that, that is a great idea, assuming i can find one that pulls 30amps

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://store.solar-electric.com/dls-30.html

"... Available with built in IQ4 ($28.58 more).
The DLS-30 Power Converter/Battery Charger from IOTA Engineering converts nominal 120 AC voltage to 13.4 DC voltage for both DC load operation and 12V battery charging.
As a power supply, the unit's tightly controlled regulation allows the user to operate a nominal 12VDC load up to 30 amps. Tight line-load regulation ensures that the output voltage holds steady from no load to full load. This keeps pumps, motors, and lights working at the correct voltage even during brown out situations..."

bon voyagee ;)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box (or maybe I am, who knows)... but why wouldn't you just cut out the electricity altogether and get a small (2-5hp) gasoline outboard? I would think it would be more efficient than burning gasoline to generate electricity to generate forward movement of the boat...

that would be ideal case, but i can't have smelly outboard in my appartment, small generator i can keep in my trunk, but not outboard

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://store.solar-electric.com/dls-30.html

"... Available with built in IQ4 ($28.58 more).
The DLS-30 Power Converter/Battery Charger from IOTA Engineering converts nominal 120 AC voltage to 13.4 DC voltage for both DC load operation and 12V battery charging.
As a power supply, the unit's tightly controlled regulation allows the user to operate a nominal 12VDC load up to 30 amps. Tight line-load regulation ensures that the output voltage holds steady from no load to full load. This keeps pumps, motors, and lights working at the correct voltage even during brown out situations..."

bon voyagee ;)

yes i went to iota site and picked the same model, thanks, and it isn't that expencive.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is still a lot of weight to be hauling around, but it can work.

My dad used to keep a 7 hp outboard motor in a purpose made "bag" to control the odor. The key is to get a material that is not permeable to gasoline - ideally something with one side metalized.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just get a small gas generator that has 12v output. You don't have to worry about an ACtoDC converter and charger at all. Also, you don't have to worry about water getting on the 120V socket and electrocuting yourself. Something like this perhaps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QR0DT4/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

It only provides 8 Amps for charging a 12v battery but that's enough to top you up when you stop during the day and then fully charge at night. With this you could probably cut the size of your battery saving you weight. I'm sure they must do ones that can provide more Amps but they are probably so big you may as well get an outboard.

I also have an 11 foot inflatable that I power through a 38lb thrust electric motor and 110Ah battery. I only use it for the occasional picnic day out on the river as the battery lasts about 5 hours on 70% thrust. To be honest, if you want 3 day trips out of it, an electric motor isn't going to work very well. By the time you got the motor, battery, generator, extra gas, etc.. You may not have enough room for you in the boat.

Other thoughts,
30 years ago Evinrude used to make a folding outboard that fitted nicely into a plastic case. You can still find them for sale second hand though I think they go for around $600.
If you are using a Minn Kota 30 you aren't worried about loads of power. Have a second look at some of the really small 1-3hp outboards out there. Some of them are small enough to stuff inside a large-ish plastic 'underbed' style storage box and could be tucked away somewhere.
Also, have a chat with an outboard mechanic. It may be that he'll know of a small outboard that you can separate the shaft from the motor with a spanner and 10 minutes. Then it may be small enough for your trunk.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just get a small gas generator that has 12v output. You don't have to worry about an ACtoDC converter and charger at all. Also, you don't have to worry about water getting on the 120V socket and electrocuting yourself. Something like this perhaps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QR0DT4/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

It only provides 8 Amps for charging a 12v battery but that's enough to top you up when you stop during the day and then fully charge at night. With this you could probably cut the size of your battery saving you weight. I'm sure they must do ones that can provide more Amps but they are probably so big you may as well get an outboard.

I also have an 11 foot inflatable that I power through a 38lb thrust electric motor and 110Ah battery. I only use it for the occasional picnic day out on the river as the battery lasts about 5 hours on 70% thrust. To be honest, if you want 3 day trips out of it, an electric motor isn't going to work very well. By the time you got the motor, battery, generator, extra gas, etc.. You may not have enough room for you in the boat.

Other thoughts,
30 years ago Evinrude used to make a folding outboard that fitted nicely into a plastic case. You can still find them for sale second hand though I think they go for around $600.
If you are using a Minn Kota 30 you aren't worried about loads of power. Have a second look at some of the really small 1-3hp outboards out there. Some of them are small enough to stuff inside a large-ish plastic 'underbed' style storage box and could be tucked away somewhere.
Also, have a chat with an outboard mechanic. It may be that he'll know of a small outboard that you can separate the shaft from the motor with a spanner and 10 minutes. Then it may be small enough for your trunk.

thanks,

but draw on minnkota 30 is 30 amps for max speed, most generators dc 12v out is only rated 8-10 amps.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i talked to a forest ranger on one lake, and he pointed out fundamental flaw of my design, (why didn't i think of it before???).
on any lake that allows use of electric motor only, wont allow use of generator in the boat, or any gas powered equipment, on the lake

so there goes my project.
guess i'll just have to buy another battery.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks,

but draw on minnkota 30 is 30 amps for max speed, most generators dc 12v out is only rated 8-10 amps.

I wasn't suggesting that you power the outboard from the generator. I was suggesting that you power it from the battery and when you stop for lunch or a break, use the 12v generator to re-charge the battery.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't suggesting that you power the outboard from the generator. I was suggesting that you power it from the battery and when you stop for lunch or a break, use the 12v generator to re-charge the battery.

oh, that is exactly what i wanted to do, run it off generator directly, so i didn't have to carry, or charge batteries. get rid of batteries all together