Light for AR-15

T1ckT0ck

Newly Enlightened
I am in the market for a light system for my newly ordered AR-15 (still a few weeks out) for general patrol work. My only restriction per our departmental policy is a "quality light system". Majority of the guys go with the Surefire M500 but Im not a fan. Although it is a good light system, I think a little too much money goes to the name. I was looking at going with a 6P with a Malkoff M60 drop in. However as I started looking more into lights, I found that I should consider the Eagletac and the Wolf Eyes 6A MC-Explorer Special Tactical. I was able to find some good reviews on the Eagletac T10LC2 and the T20C2 but couldnt find anything on the 6A MC-E. The supposed 580 lumens of the Wolf Eyes is intriguing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also where I work is your typical city setting with a few rural areas but deployment will be mostly the outside perimeter and inside of buildings.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done some training with a "big name" in elite LE/military circles. His philosophy is as bright a light as possible, even to the point of mounting 3(!) Surefire lights on his rifle, turning all three on simultaneously. "Too heavy? Go to the gym and work out" he says. My agency SWAT team also uses two big Surefire lights on some of its rifles. He also mounts an ACOG 4X for light gathering and ability to see clearly from a distance. My agency uses Leupold CQ/T's on some rifles (SWAT) and ACOGs (SWAT, patrol) on others with EOTechs on many of the rest. Why get closer to the suspect when you can illuminate and see him (and his small black handgun) from a distance that favors the officer?

I haven't gone that route, yet, with my rifle. But remember that the purpose of the weaponlight is to extend the distance you can see, and the throw is more important than the lumens. MC-E based LEDs sacrifice throw (lux) for output (lumens) and may not be ideal.

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Picture003.jpg

Picture007.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=449640

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
TickTock

I just bought a Fenix Tk11 R2 to mount on my AR

What I like about it is --
1. Its simple - Momentary on or Click to stay on
2. 2 settings - 64 Lumens for inside - 240 for outside
(The 240 is so bright inside that just the light bouncing off the walls will blind the operator abit) --Simple to change between the 2 settings by turning the head just a hair (about 5 degrees does it)
3. It uses both CR123's (X2) and rechargeable 18650 (X1)
4. Very good reviews
5. Under $100 bux
6. 8% discount code if your a member of CPF (from 4sevens.com)

(As I have USGI Handguards, I bought an add on rail from Midwest Industries ($19) and a VTAC Offset Flashlight Mount for now ($25 bux)
Which will be upgraded later to an Elzetta ZORM or ZROC or Daniel Defense as funds allow)

I got Light, 2X 18650's, 10 pack 123's, Charger, Cig. Lighter plug for charger, Red Lens add on, Diffuser for about $150 (with the CPF discount)

check out some reviews of it, ya may like it.

Best of Luck

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three lights on a rifle? If you need that much light it's time to invest in night vision.

Some of the setups mentioned aren't proven to the point you should carry them on patrol. If it's a personal gun, then go ahead, but when lives count, take no chances.

The best setup IMO to save money is:

SureFire 6P ($45)
Remote Pressure Switch (~ $20)
Picatinny Rail Mount (- $25)
Malkoff M60 ($55)

Total: ~ $145 + shipping.

That would be a cheap, reliable setup IMO.

However, I'm waiting for the 4-die LED Weapon Lights.

T1ckT0ck

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a picatinny (1913) rail?

Yes. It will have the complete quad rail system.

Gunfighter, thats a pretty sweet light. I like the easy switch modes so that if you go from outside to inside you dont blind yourself with the full power.

Search, that was the original setup I was going with, probably in a SF or LaRue mount, but was wondering what else was out there. Im all about saving money for a quality product but dont want something to fail me when I need it. I also agree on the 3 lights...I have thought of two, one strobe and one solid. My thoughts are it would screw up the bad guy and give me constant light. :D

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search, that was the original setup I was going with, probably in a SF or LaRue mount, but was wondering what else was out there. Im all about saving money for a quality product but dont want something to fail me when I need it. I also agree on the 3 lights...I have thought of two, one strobe and one solid. My thoughts are it would screw up the bad guy and give me constant light. :D

Added weight is a very big problem. No matter how much you work out, if you are on a long call with the rifle you're going to get fatigued. This leads to missed shots that can be very bad.

Having multiple lights would cause confusion. Playing around in the back yard is one thing. In a low-light, tactical environment, I see many ways the extra lighting could cause confusion. Especially when bullets start flying and motor skills go out the window.

As you are in LE, it's an almost must to have a light with momentary and a good thought to have a pressure pad.

I can see where you would want the other light for strobe. At least you didn't want an all in one light :) It has it's useful place, yes, but one could do the job just as easily without it. This leads to thinking, do you really need to add weight?

There can be too much light. When you start blinding everyone else, you've over exceeded output.

Our guys are issued 125 lumen incans. The Glocks carry X300. The two systems have never been too much. In our area there are plenty of factories, open areas, woodland areas, urban areas, and very tight spaces. I promise there hasn't been a situation where there was too little.

Just some things to think about.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked this trainer why 2 lights a couple months ago. "In case I want more light." Duh. It sounds kind of obvious when he put it that way.

Since then, his rifle is sporting 3 lights (and visible laser) and he demonstrated the 1, 2, 3 light effect on the target, while looking through the ACOG. He's a retired LAPD SWAT sniper, veteran of night rifle gunfights in the L.A. riots, hostage rescue training with HRT, Delta and SEAL 6 in prep for the Olympics and thousands of "rock house" raids. As someone in his 50's, he may need more light than a 19 year old! May you guys all live to be that age. We've had a few here that didn't make it--one lost in a gunfight in darkness.

Me? I've got a night vision monocular, so that's one reason I haven't bothered mounting a light to my rifle, though I probably should. So far, I've only deployed it twice, both in daylight. My only real life shooting was with a pistol at night under streetlights and no added light was necessary. Coworker had an M-4, no light, but didn't shoot.

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Viking Tactics and Larue both make great mounts for the 6P/G2. Drop a Malkoff into either and I think you have a great setup with or without a pressure pad.

I use an X300 at 3o'clock on my M4 and am very happy with that setup in conjunction with a VFG. I'd be using the other mentioned setup if I wasn't issued the X300.

The use of handgun lights on carbines seems to be a trend. The new SOPMOD Block 2 is specing an Insight M3X (SU-233) for the bright light portion of the kit.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked this trainer why 2 lights a couple months ago. "In case I want more light." Duh. It sounds kind of obvious when he put it that way.

Since then, his rifle is sporting 3 lights (and visible laser) and he demonstrated the 1, 2, 3 light effect on the target, while looking through the ACOG. He's a retired LAPD SWAT sniper, veteran of night rifle gunfights in the L.A. riots, hostage rescue training with HRT, Delta and SEAL 6 in prep for the Olympics and thousands of "rock house" raids. As someone in his 50's, he may need more light than a 19 year old! May you guys all live to be that age. We've had a few here that didn't make it--one lost in a gunfight in darkness.

Me? I've got a night vision monocular, so that's one reason I haven't bothered mounting a light to my rifle, though I probably should. So far, I've only deployed it twice, both in daylight. My only real life shooting was with a pistol at night under streetlights and no added light was necessary. Coworker had an M-4, no light, but didn't shoot.

To each his own I say!

I'm not arguing against it. I'm throwing the odds out there to be weighed.

NWdude83

Newly Enlightened
You might also want to ask people on an AR forum as well. See what works for them.