My New Quark123

Larbo

Enlightened
Just opened and installed the battery in my new torch, this is really something else. The output is on par with my PD30 and its small, cant wait till dark to try out the moon mode.
Only one thing the clip has to go but Iam stuck sense this one cant be removed (hmmm dremel tool). I see the battery isnt going to last long tonight.:whistle:
I can see the day when lights will have 150 to 200 something lumens in a torch the size of my LOD...Preorder:paypal::shakehead
Enjoy.

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
Update, noticed that on Beacon light flashes 3 times then flickers and stops, all other mode seem to work fine even strobe and turbo....the smoke test continues.:candle:

xenonk

Enlightened
By flickers and stops, do you mean it performs one signal and then no more no matter how long you wait?

Beacon mode is supposed to do a few introductory flashes so you know it's in beacon mode, but the actual signal itself comes afterward and is quite different from the intro flashes.

Every 10 seconds, it will quickly ramp up and then back down through its output levels, making it look more like a pulse than a flash.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just opened and installed the battery in my new torch, this is really something else. The output is on par with my PD30 and its small, cant wait till dark to try out the moon mode.
Only one thing the clip has to go but Iam stuck sense this one cant be removed (hmmm dremel tool). I see the battery isnt going to last long tonight.:whistle:
I can see the day when lights will have 150 to 200 something lumens in a torch the size of my LOD...Preorder:paypal::shakehead
Enjoy.

Will you carry it on your keychain?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update, noticed that on Beacon light flashes 3 times then flickers and stops, all other mode seem to work fine even strobe and turbo....the smoke test continues.:candle:

Edit; What I had written was already mentioned.

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
By flickers and stops, do you mean it performs one signal and then no more no matter how long you wait?

Beacon mode is supposed to do a few introductory flashes so you know it's in beacon mode, but the actual signal itself comes afterward and is quite different from the intro flashes.

Every 10 seconds, it will quickly ramp up and then back down through its output levels, making it look more like a pulse than a flash.

Blinks 3 times and on 4th flickers then there are no more, click the light off then back on does the same, gonna see what 7777 says about this, not really a big problem but then again it should work.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blinks 3 times and on 4th flickers then there are no more, click the light off then back on does the same.....

How long did you wait after the 4th blink that "flickers"? I timed mine to have a 12 sec interval, maybe yours is longer.

Larbo

Enlightened
After a call to 7777 I found out after several flashes the light will blink every 12 seconds or so which it does, however they still flicker, I will be receiving another to try out and see it it works correctly, hats off to 7777 for first class customer service!:thumbsup:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a call to 7777 I found out after several flashes the light will blink every 12 seconds or so which it does, however they still flicker, I will be receiving another to try out and see it it works correctly, hats off to 7777 for first class customer service!:thumbsup:

It is not a flicker. It is a ramping from low level to high in about one second. When you get your new light, it will be the same.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

It sounds like your light is working perfectly normal. It flashes a few times, then flickers as it ramps up and down. Then it will start just start flickering from dim to bright, back to dim, etc.

I assume this flickering and dimming up and down would draw more attention than a blinking light, or sos.

It's kind of like a strobe that goes dim to bright, holds bright and steady for a second, then strobes as it dims back down.

Larbo

Enlightened
From what I have read here the beacon isnt a flash like the sos but it starts low flashing to high then low very quickly, kinda strange. Anyway I will checkout the replacement when it arrives, update to follow soon.

xenonk

Enlightened
Oh, I think I know precisely what you're talking about now... :ohgeez:

From what I have read here the beacon isnt a flash like the sos but it starts low flashing to high then low very quickly, kinda strange. Anyway I will checkout the replacement when it arrives, update to follow soon.

That's exactly it, and your new one will do the same thing if this is actually what you're seeing. The ramping uses the same logarithmic levels that changing modes does, so it goes up and down in discreet steps. It also preflashes when it comes on in moon mode initially, so you get this:
off -> preflash-to-moon -> low -> medium -> high -> max (pauses here a moment) -> high -> medium -> low -> moon -> off
The "flicker" effect is more pronounced during the ramping up half of the pulse.

A PWM ramping sequence could use much smaller steps and make it look smoother, but the Quark was specifically designed for linear current to avoid PWM effects.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IabqGJ0JE6I
This youtube stuff is easier than it looks.

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
Final update: New one works t same as original , seems the beacon mode works different then sos,(light ramps up then down), I didnt know this at first, as long as this is normal its no big deal, this is a super torch.