ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Hi guys,
    This is the third in the series that started with Maui Time (pictures) and then followed by Maui Time (pictures) - 2 .

Today was another great day for a noon visit to the reef. My wife and I and a friend had a nice swim and checked in on the frog fish. I kept mostly to the outside hoping to see some larger animals like the eagle rays or manta ray or baracuda. There has also been a small tiger shark seen recently and the spinner dolphins have been coming in to the reef but I have been at the wrong place at the wrong time.

We finished our swim and were drying off and getting warm on the beach. We had just joked about being ready in case the spinners showed up and danged if I didn't see some out side and to the south and seeming to be headed our way! I told the ladies I knew I was getting suckered out once again but what the heck. I grabbed the gear and went down to the water and off and out I swam. I hadn't but made a few strokes out when I heard them underwater and so I just went for it. I got out past the reef's edge in about 35' of water and stuck my head up for a check on the surface. I saw some splashing and fins headed my way. Cool!

I ended up surrounded and not knowing where to look and focus.

I think this was the closest I have had some get to me and I might have been able to make hand contact if I had tried. I noticed a few of them were swimming and in physical contact with others. There was also some serious play among a few.

I don't think I could ever get tired of watching these guys swim in sync and play. Ultimately, they drew me south of the reef as they headed back south and then they were gone. I was totally stoked and invigorated by the encounter and took my time swimming back in. What a great way to end the day at the beach!! As I was swimming in, I saw a coral outcropping surrounded by the sand field and realized there was a green sea turtle resting on the bottom next to it. As I got closer, I could see that it was a really clean and healthy looking turtle and I decided to dive down for a shot. Halfway down, I think I got a lump in my throat. This turtle has a marking on its head I haven't seen for a couple years. For you old timers who have followed my ramblings, this turtle was none other than Friendly!!

I dove down a few times. She was probably in 25' of water. I would get close and then wave her up like I used to when she lived in a cave in the shallows. After one dive down and after some other swimmers had left, I saw her move her flippers and get out from under the ledge. I knew she was going to surface and I wondered if she would still be cool with me close by.

She seemed quite at ease and I took the camera housing from around my neck and held it out in front of me and let myself drift in towards her.

She ended up bracing herself away from me with her left front flipper on my right shoulder.

I was able to get a self portrait of me with my favorite turtle friend:

We ended up hip to hip and slowly spun away from each other. I then circled around to face her again and just watched her as she took a couple more breaths. She dove back down to the bottom and I headed in to shore. There might have been some excess saline in my eye and not from the ocean. I have had some incredible coincidences out there and sometimes wonder......
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default Re: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

wow, the last pic has perfect reflection in your goggles too.

Banned

I wonder if Friendly remembered you. They live a long time, but I have no idea what their memory is like.

I often wish I lived somewhere in the world I could swim in the ocean for more than 10 minutes before freezing....

On the other hand, the one thing which scares the bejeezus out of me is sharks in open water, I would literally have heart failure.
    www.anarkypaintball.com Constantly looking for SHINEY things
    Some people are like slinkys. They have no real good use, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face

Its strange how you can tell Friendly is friendly by nature just by looking at photos. I'm glad she is back.

Flashaholic

I had the fortune to visit Hawaii on my honeymoon after battling cancer back in '07. Now, a few years later, I think of Hawaii as the most beautiful place i've ever enjoyed he pleasure of visiting. I am working so hard to convince my wife to move there...and pics like these just illustrate why.

Thanks for sharing, Don. You live well, sir.

Jason

Wow, I really like the one of the light beams above the anglerfish... That's a framer.

How is the wildlife out there these days? I visited last year for the first time since the 90's and boy has it changed! The reefs seemed pretty beat up compared to 10 years ago

Have you ever ventured to Fiji?
    Surefire 18650 Bored Hosts & Cerakote!
    I am visually impaired please excuse my typos =P

Bugsy714,
    Some of the reefs are in decline to be certain and there seems to be some improvement in others. None of the main islands have fish in abundance like they once did as I gather from experts. The turtle population is definitely on the rise which is one positive aspect I think. Never visited any of the islands further south and I won't rule it out but I am very content sticking on this one island.

Jeff!!!

Funny thing. I haven't seen Friendly this year at all and just today I was out past reef's edge looking for some hawksbill turtles with my friend Bob and a beautiful female green came up out of the blue and right at me and looked like she was going to swim into me with a head butt but did stop and stare at me for a few moments before siding up next to me and taking some breaths. I was too slow on the uptake and it wasn't until she finished up on the surface right next to me and dove down that I considered the possibility that it was Friendly! It was and I confirmed it when I saw the top of her head.

Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Super Moderator

This continues to be my favourite thread on CPF and a great place to come and relax

Great close-up pictures of that trumpet/cornet fish! They're normally pretty shy in my experience, and I've never managed to get closer than 2-3 feet.
    Resistance is futile...

I love this turtle, looks so cool with character.

light your lite . ...

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    This continues to be my favourite thread on CPF and a great place to come and relax
    Just want to second that: love your pictures - almost as much as I love your lights.

Don,

I'm so glad you got reunited with Friendly, that's so cool.

Thanks for the update on her.

Jeff
    ~ I've lived to see another sunrise ~
    ><(((•>
    ~ Kicked cancer's ass 3 times~

I remember this pic long time ago, I still love it..

This one is so cool...

I envy you guys...
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

wow, amazing photos!

I love Maui time. These photos are amazing Don congrats.

Unenlightened

Those are some really amazing pics!
    My kids love them

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    For what ever reason, that particular pic has made it to a number of Facebook pages and other web pages. I have seen it described as a fake watch ad and in general questioned as a poor photoshop job. I guess it is beyond some people that you could have a reflection showing the sky underwater....
    I think "that particular pic" is one of the best photos I have ever seen ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Very nice photos!
    Always a pleasure looking at them
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Ahhh - now my withdrawal symptoms are easing.

Those are really nice pictures Don!
    Here is a list of my lights.

Fantastic.
    It's amazing what sea-life you can see in these shallows.

Thanks.

Wow!.....

Very nice photos.
    I recently saw the one of your watch and seahorse on a 'best of...'photo page. You were credited

WTB: anything, and everything SUREFIRE
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

I am a saltwater reef fish enthusiast and have always had them for pets. It's so cool to see them in the wild though!! Something I've never had the opportunity to do.
    The power used to go out a lot more before I got these expensive lights...

Those are such incredible animals. Is it frightening to be so close? Though they seem gentle I imagine they could inadvertantly do some real damage!

Absolutely beautiful pictures Don! I especially like the close-ups where you get a really good view of their eyes.
    Here is a list of my lights.

I'm still drooling. Such beautiful shots!?!

Amazing photos.
    We have booked for next January for our annual Maui retreat.
    Don, do you offer "tours" ?

My plan for this January was to SUP out & watch the whales, but the swells those 2 weeks were crazy. Over at Jaws, it was insane seeing what was coming in. The storm cancelled the surf competition, but guys were still riding those giant waves.

Wow those are amazing pictures!
    I would probably be quite anxious if I were in the water with them as they look enormous!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast