HDS Systems        
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Default Re: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Thanks guys.
    I had posted a couple shots of a Hawaiian Monk seal that hauled out on the beach just down the block from where I live, on New Year's Day but the post went in the nether when the forum crashed. I'll put a couple back now:

This same seal, R017 as known to the researchers, hauled out at Airport Beach last week seven days in a row! This is the beach I usually snorkel at and from whence most of the shots posted in these threads came from. One of the days I was able to get some shots of her in the water before she hauled out.

Last edited by McGizmo; 04-05-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: brain fart...
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hi guys,

Been shooting a lot of turtles these days. A couple days ago the lighting was real nice and there is a young turtle I call Tiny (who has been pictured above in previous posts) who has recently been feeding right at the shore line.

I have been going out often with a friend Bob who is on island for a month and we were both shooting Tiny. At one point, the wave surge took Tiny right at Bob and Tiny used Bob's head to stop being dragged further from shore and his feeding spot. Tiny proceeded to use Bob's snorkel as a brace as he pivoted around to head back in. I caught a shot before impact and then in the process of twisting around while on Bob's head.

You can see how small Tiny is!

And completely off topic but related to getting to and from the beach, I just got top and side boxes mounted on my new Zero electric motorcycle so I can transport snorkel gear and camera easily. The Zero is really a cool bike but danged if it doesn't come with incandescent head light and running lights. That was corrected and I was stoked to find a DOT approved LED headlamp that fit well in the Zero's housing. It looks like the LED's being used are Luxeon K2's.

In addition to the sun providing the light and illumination for all of my pictures, it also provides the energy to transport me to the photo sites and bring the LED's to life when needed.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hi Don,
    Which Zero have you bought ? They seem pretty cool. Can you fill us in with more details on your bike and the LED replacement headlight ?

I've seen you're getting a Leaf, now an electric bike... I envy you! Beyond all the meaning you may be putting into these purchases, I think the confort, torque, silence, low maintenance requirements and simplicity of EVs is just way cool!

Tino,
    I purchased the Zero DS.

As the time finally approached for me to receive my LEAF, I realized that once I got it I would feel compelled to use the LEAF instead of my Vespa because the Vespa would still require visits to the gas station whereas my LEAF would be fueled at home (you can see the LEAF's charging supply on the wall at the right in pic above). I sold the Vespa to a very good friend who needed additional transportation and the Vespa was a good fit. My desire, if not actual need, for a simpler two wheeled mode of transport was well established and I psuedo justified the purchase of a Zero in that the state and federal tax credit and rebate covered the cost of the Zero. Some of the places I regularly go can be a challenge at times in terms of parking and I can get creative with the Zero whereas the LEAF needs a real parking stall. I feel most fortunate and lucky to now have electric transport fueled at home and via the sun:

I find it compelling that the bike is a Zero and that the LEAF boasts a side badge of "Zero Emission" which in my particular case is true.

The LEAF comes standard with LED head lights and stop/ tail lights. Disappointing though is that the back up, turn signal, fog, high beam, parking and interior lights are all incandescent lamp based! I have replaced all but fog and high beam now with LED but the results are less than stellar in terms of flux. To date I have used aftermarket, off the shelf LED replacements and not delved into any custom LED assemblies.

I was able to exchange the flasher on the Zero with one that will flash at the appropriate rate using the lower power draw LED's but I have no idea where or how to get to the flasher in the LEAF or if it can be exchanged with an efficient flasher unit. At the moment it flashes quickly as it would if a bulb were burnt out.

In regards to the LED head light on the Zero, I found on line a dealer for the Truck-Lite LED headlight which is DOT approved. I have also informed the Zero guys about this light which they found of interest and have ordered in for testing. As an OEM they can't mess around and must go with DOT approved equipment. Hopefully some company will step up with DOT approved stop/tail/turn fixtures which will work on motorcycles.

These new vehicles are new and fresh and really cool IMHO. I installed a PV system a few years back and in a capacity that would serve to charge EV's in addition to the household requirements. Finally now I have completed the program with the electric powered vehicles. I don't travel far and I think there is a really good chance that these will be the last vehicles I purchase as they will likely last longer than I do. I still have my 12 year old GMC van and it will probably out last me and certainly now in its semi retired state. I will hang onto it at least until after family visits this summer where it will provide them with transportation in lieu of getting a rental.

Thanks for the details Don.
    Can't believe you already have the Leaf, it's still a somehow rare animal. I'd get one in a heartbeat if I could charge at home (and if I had the bucks).

I have yet to see a single car that has 100% LED lamps and signals as well as all LED interior and backlights. My guess is cost comes first, but we'll come to it eventually. The last to be replaced by LED will be the high beam most probably. But I'm just like you, kind of disappointed it's taking so long.

I've been seing these aftermarket LED replacement "bulbs" but my forum readings have shown so far that they (most of them at least) are not properly designed devices. They seem to rather quickly burn out, even faster than the incandescent they replace, probably from bad electrical design and/or unadressed thermal considerations. These "bulbs" fixtures don't provide much thermal path yet some replacement LED "bulbs" put out several watts, as we know mostly in the form of heat.

If you feel like commenting on the Leaf LED headlamp I'd be curious to hear your opinion. I'm familiar with the Prius LED headlamp, which is very good IMO except for the very sharp, high contrast, horizontal cutoff which leaves whatever's above in almost total darkness.

Man you really get to play with the coolest gizmos ;p

What's wrong with you guys talking about cameras, bikes and cars........?

Tino,
    Each headlamp has two LED sources and each has its own reflective optic. You can't even see the LED's as they are dropped down below visibility and shoot up into a half parabola in simplified terms. The beam does have a distinct upper horizon with virtually no light above it. Here is where the High Beam adds some relatively wimpy warmer light when switched on.

London Lad,

very nice...........pictures Don! Thanks for sharing!

very nice...........pictures Don! Thanks for sharing!

Guys, are you sure it's ok to ask for more wonders-and-beauties-from-Maui like you're doing ?

With all those beautiful creatures in the sea I'm surprised you ever bother to come back on to dry land

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post

She's got nice flippers!
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Don your underwater photography has been especially spectacular as of late!
    Last edited by StrikerDown; 05-14-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    This a one shot un-retouched picture? Seems like focus is optimal at all stages of depth. Looks like a decent spawning ground

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    This a one shot un-retouched picture? Seems like focus is optimal at all stages of depth....
    Yes, un-retouched shot with 9 mm fish eye lens. Great depth of field with these lenses.

If you guys can't refrain from escalating with certain types of "clever" comments I can remove some of these images and not post future ones.

Don, In looking at the sales price and my state and fed tax credits, my final cost for the S model would be $7495. Could you elaborate on your "psuedo justification" that calc'd out a zero cost? I noticed you mentioned a "rebate" also. Is that separate of the tax credits?
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

BVH,
    I'm sorry for not being clear on this. The state of Hawaii offers a rebate which as far as I can tell I can qualify for on the LEAF and there is the federal tax credit as well. It is these which cover the cost of the Zero for me. I haven't looked into the state and federal credits yet on the Zero itself. The Zero is a real pleasure to ride!

OIC now. I completely missed the point you made in your orig post. Thanks! The zero S looks to be a ton of fun to ride. How would you rate the acceleration as compared to other conv. powered bikes? I can't remember the name of the orig GM 2-seater elect. car (EVO?). I had a chance to use one for a day and it accelerated like a rocket.
    Last edited by BVH; 05-13-2011 at 11:36 PM.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

BVH,
    Any electric vehicle has 100% torque at 0 mph. You don't have to get the revs up to an optimal level to experience the torque like you do with an ICE vehicle. You can't pop a wheelie with a Zero but at any speed you are traveling aside from top end, you goose the throttle and you have immediate and satisfactory response, IMHO. I can't compare it to other bikes because it has been many many years since I rode a "normal" bike. The only reference I have is that of my 150cc Vespa and compared to it, the Zero's response is noticeably immediate but relative G forces not noted or remembered. With no transmission or shifting involved, the Zero is incredibly smooth in speed transitions.

Wow, an electric car and electric bike! I am so jealous.

My electric Honda dirt bike has been in the works for so long, I just can't seem to get it done.

Super pics too. Thanks for such a great thread.

Cheers
    Dave

Hi, first off I've seen a lot of your inventions and lights on this forum, but I just stumbled across this thread while curiously looking for DOT approved headlamps. All I can really say is that you just brightened my entire day, just read pretty much the whole thread from start to finish and now I can't wait to read more.

About your turn signals flashing too quickly, I have an old BMW that I made custom led bulbs for, and had the same problem. I realize that we're talking about a thirty year difference in technology, but the solution for my particular case was to get a solid state flasher relay from an auto parts store and drop it in. Instant fix, now they flash regularly and I don't have to worry about one bulb going out and affecting the relay, because it doesn't use resistance and heat to switch on and off.

I'm hoping that this could be helpful in one way or another, even if there is no plug and play solution for your situation, you could possibly wire in a relay somewhere in the flasher circuit.

Great stuff, thank you so much.

Dave!

onetrickpony,
    Yeah, the solution is a solid state flasher unit and I was able to exchange the flasher on the bike with one, no problem. However the flasher in the LEAF sounds to be up under the dash way up near the windshield and danged if I can see how to access it without learning how to remove the kick panel and who know what else. With every vehicle I have ever owned, I always bought the shop manual but I don't know if Nissan sells one for the LEAF or if I want to invest in one if they do.

Back to other topics, Margaux and I visited some turtles today and I took a Mule with me.

The last turtle pic is just WOW. Crystal clear waters... THANKS!

That last turtle pic is stunning!

Hey, Don. Any idea what the yellow pencil dude is? If that's its mouth on the left, he/she looks to be ideal for feeding in the nooks and crannies of coral.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Super Moderator

That long thin yellow guy is a Trumpetfish (maybe there's another name for it in Hawaii?) They come in variious sizes/colors depending whereabouts you are.
    Resistance is futile...

DM51 is correct and they call them trumpet fish here as well although there probably is a Hawaiian name for them too which I don't know. These guys go for small fish and they can be pretty deceitful in their ways. They will ambush and are often seen swimming in the company of non threatening animals and fish to exploit the benign nature of the the others. They can change their colors significantly and the wolf in sheep's clothing seems appropriate at times. If you see a large mixed school of algae eaters working the reef often among them is one of these guys just waiting to prey on a small fish feeling confident amongst the large non threatening school.

The other day I was out with a friend and we spotted one that was swimming with a green sea turtle. When the sea turtles feed on the algae they break loose all kinds of tidbits smaller fish can then go for. What might appear as an appendage worthy of a sophomoric comment in the image below is the trumpet fish mentioned:

If you look at the left side of the school of herbivores below you can make out two of these trumpet fish that have adopted a black body with yellowish tails to mimic the majority of the school. These guys don't play fair!!

Absolutely fantastic thread, stunningly beautiful pics.

I've just gone through every post on this thread, then went over to your site and looked through your pics there.
    Simply stunning.

You live on a beautiful island, look to have a beautiful and healthy and energetic family, a beautiful home (from glimpse of your car and bike pics) and some great toys.
    Really living the dream.

Thank you for sharing, you have brightened what was otherwise a pretty hectic day for me.

Cheers
    Mark

Hi guys,
    I usually go out there with a really wide angle lens which allows me to get as close as possible to a critter and still get a shot of it in its entirety. This doesn't work so well with small fish intent on not having their "space" violated. Last couple days I have gone out with a 60 mm macro lens intent on shooting some of the reef fish and hopefully smaller critters. I know I have mentioned it before but the real time color changes of some of these fish give the most outlandish chameleon a run for its money. As well the changes in form and color patterns from youth to adulthood of some of the fish, especially the wrasses is mind boggling!

This is a yellow tail coris juvenile:

This is an adult female yellow tail coris:

Most of these fish and critters don't generate their own light but what they do with ambient sunlight is really remarkable if you think about it! I always assumed that they could alter the reflective nature of their surface in amazing ways and that alone would be an incredible technology if we could somehow mimic it. But now and not constrained by any real knowledge I wonder if some of these critters aren't possibly altering or creating new photons from those impacting them much like science is now doing with quantum dots and such? Whatever the mechanism used to alter what we see, it's danged amazing!!

Below are two shots of the same surgeon fish I followed yesterday for a few minutes.

Of course probably one of the best examples of a master of what you see is the octopus! Talk about radical changes in appearance in matters of seconds these guys are pros!!

mere moments later:

Imagine if we could take ambient light and alter its nature or reflection to even a fraction of what these critters can do!

I also wonder at the efficacy in terms of reflecting light some of these guys enjoy. Red and yellow light are lost pretty quickly as you increase the distance light travels in the ocean but consider the yellow tang:

Near the surface these guys over saturate the camera sensor it seems. You can peer into the distance and the landscape is monochromatic blues with the exception of a few yellow beacons.

I realize I am rambling but in my ignorance and possibly stupidity I revel in the wonder at what I see!!

Don it looks like you have a hard time finding anything nice to enjoy down there. Those pictures make me glad I live in Texas. 100 degree weather and drought.

Really nice pictures. I always like enjoy seeing these and it makes me wish I lived over there. I may need to move soon

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 ... LastLast