HDS Systems        
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Default Re: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Wow! Your pictures are incredible! My wife and I were just in Maui but couldn't really spend any time in the water because we had our baby with us (and no sitter), but your pictures make me feel like we experienced it ourselves!

Thanks a bunch!
    Billy

Flashaholic*

I just found this thread. It's too awesome for words! Thanks very much for this one!

Thanks for sharing those wonderfull photos with us, i just love them
    proud Fenix T1 aspheric R2 owner

I'm becoming increasingly worried finding myself checking out the Maui thread *before* any other LED or titanium related thread... is my flashaholism cured...?

Heck no but snorkeling and EV vehicles all mixed with photography is just too addictive too

There's a young hawksbill turtle I first saw last year and got to name Twinkles who has shown up again over a month ago and has been on the reef every day since then I suspect. I have now taken a lot of pics of her which I pass on to Cheryl King the hawksbill guru. Below are a couple shots I particularly like:

And below is a shot of a friend photographing the frog fish.

Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hi guys,
    It's been a while since I posted here and I have taken a lot of pics in the mean time. I will pick a few and post them now...

Emily and her frog (above)

Cornet fish with a meal stuck in its mouth:

I am obviously taken by the frog fishes and the one in particular...

Emily's (PHD Scripps student) found the one above about a year ago and I have been monitoring its growth and visiting it since then. Emily has been doing research on the reef all summer and a few weeks back she spotted a very cool and danged impossible to photograph, juvenile black frog fish.

We named it "Midnight" and it has become a much looked for critter out there! For a few days, it found a comfortable perch on one of Levi's (another Scripps PHD researcher) urchin cages:

Self portrait with it:

In the pic below, you can see its silhouette up in the corner of the cage and off in the distance on the top of some coral is Emily's big yellow frog:

There is also a juvenile yellow frog who has joined them and this will be the last frog pic in the series, I promise!

Couldn't resist!

Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thank you for sharing as always Don!
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Don,

I was wondering when they would show up and it was worth the wait, as always stellar pics.

Thanks for sharing sir,

Jeff
    ~ I've lived to see another sunrise ~
    ><(((•>
    ~ Kicked cancer's ass 3 times~

Wow, I really like the one of the light beams above the anglerfish... That's a framer.

How is the wildlife out there these days? I visited last year for the first time since the 90's and boy has it changed! The reefs seemed pretty beat up compared to 10 years ago

Have you ever ventured to Fiji?
    Surefire 18650 Bored Hosts & Cerakote!
    I am visually impaired please excuse my typos =P

Bugsy714,
    Some of the reefs are in decline to be certain and there seems to be some improvement in others. None of the main islands have fish in abundance like they once did as I gather from experts. The turtle population is definitely on the rise which is one positive aspect I think. Never visited any of the islands further south and I won't rule it out but I am very content sticking on this one island.

Jeff!!!

Funny thing. I haven't seen Friendly this year at all and just today I was out past reef's edge looking for some hawksbill turtles with my friend Bob and a beautiful female green came up out of the blue and right at me and looked like she was going to swim into me with a head butt but did stop and stare at me for a few moments before siding up next to me and taking some breaths. I was too slow on the uptake and it wasn't until she finished up on the surface right next to me and dove down that I considered the possibility that it was Friendly! It was and I confirmed it when I saw the top of her head.

Super Moderator

This continues to be my favourite thread on CPF and a great place to come and relax

Great close-up pictures of that trumpet/cornet fish! They're normally pretty shy in my experience, and I've never managed to get closer than 2-3 feet.
    Resistance is futile...

I love this turtle, looks so cool with character.

light your lite . ...

Stunning pics as always.

I don't know if there is massive offer on the underwater pictures market, but no doubt yours are good enough for commercial use!

Banned

Glad to see Friendly is still around. It's always interesting to see a reptile acting social like that, since they're not generally known to care much about other beings beyond the need for reproduction.

With any luck she'll outlast all of us.

DM 51,
    The best I can do typically with Cornet fish is get directly above them and confuse them into what is the best way to flee. In shallow water that can provide reasonable proximity but hardly a good photo angle. This guy with the fish stuck simply couldn't swim comfortably in a forward direction and I was able to get much closer than normal. I have had better luck getting close and decent shots of trumpet fish which are pretty bold and bada$$, all things considered.

Short video shows how I could approach and hope for a focused shot (nearly 4' long and skinny is not an ideal subject to photograph!)

fyrstromer,

I am confident Friendly will outlast me. I just hope her future offspring can thrive and find a special place in the hearts of our future children.

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    This continues to be my favourite thread on CPF and a great place to come and relax
    Just want to second that: love your pictures - almost as much as I love your lights.

Don,

I'm so glad you got reunited with Friendly, that's so cool.

Thanks for the update on her.

Jeff
    ~ I've lived to see another sunrise ~
    ><(((•>
    ~ Kicked cancer's ass 3 times~

+1. And it has probably been alluded to elsewhere in this fantastic thread, but did Disney come hang out with you when they were developing their 'cast of characters' for "Finding Nemo?" Man, if this isn't "Crush" the turtle....

Quote Originally Posted by octaf View Post
    I love this turtle, looks so cool with character.

I remember this pic long time ago, I still love it..

This one is so cool...

I envy you guys...
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

wow, amazing photos!

Hi guys,
    Yesterday I was fortunate enough to be at the beach when a pod of spinners showed up to the south. Got out in the water and was able to get some shots as they cruised by quickly on their way to somewhere.

I could never get tired of watching these guys in action.

Yesterday I was able to finally get an illusive shot of "Midnight" "yawning".

That's a big mouth!

I'd give $100 to know what Friendly was thinking when she swam up to you, Don. By now, she probably thinks you're a normal part of her environment, which has got to be the highest form of a compliment to be found in the natural world.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

I'm missing my September and October "fixes"?
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

Such beautiful photos Don! I have always loved wildlife both on land and in the sea, and like what DM51 said, this thread is a good place to come in here to relax. How I envy your lifestyle in Hawaii.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

OK, Some more images..

Two fish you have seen before in the next image.

I have encountered Friendly now a few more times. Two shots below are from two different days.

And her she is heads up for air:

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

AWESOME. Nature is AWESOME. so are your pics. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing. . . I will probably never have the opportunities to experience that type of nature with my own eyes, so I very much appreciate seeing it through your lens.
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Don, how long can a turtle keep it's breath under water? Any ideas?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Don, how long can a turtle keep it's breath under water? Any ideas?
    Andy, I have read where a resting or sleeping turtle can hold its breath for many hours. I would think depth has a bearing and obviously activity level. Turtles actively feeding may take breaths every few minutes or up to 15 - 20 minutes between surfacing.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast