Jetbeam        
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Default Re: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Thanks guys.
    I recently took a self portrait with a small armed sand octopus that was fun to interact with (not necessarily fun for it but fun for me and my friend Bob who was also taking shots of it)

I just tried to insert the image but no go. I will try again later....
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I also visited the big island for the first time with my wife and got in the water both days with spinner dolphins.

Maybe need to make a new post for each pic?
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Nice shots don!

very nice and relaxing views! a good respite, indeed!
    EDC: Glock19 in RCS-MPH, Blackhawk BHB30, Mac's Ti Tri-EDC XP-G2 with CP, Tain's Piccolo Ti (Green Glow and Trit), ThruNite T10, Synodeyths Tritium Beads, TEC S-3 Fobs (Green Trits), SAK MiniChamp, iPhone5 in an OtterBox Armor.

awesome pics as always! I visited the Big Island last summer and kayaked/snorkeled in Kealakekua Bay. we saw many spinner dolphins but all from the surface

Where are those gorgeous tropical water creatures pics to help all those in the colder climates out during winter?
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

Hawaii has winter?

5 more sleeps till I can take my own MAUI Pictures.
    Which light to take with me? Of course a Haiku, and hopefully my Tri V2 will be waiting for me to pick up on the way to the airport.

Here's a couple more shots from the end of last year:

I have continued to shoot too many pics of the seahorses which I won't bog this down with but a little while ago I did happen to catch the younger pair in the act of mating:

Wow! Simply awesome photos. Thank you for sharing these with us.

Stunning! As always!! Thank you!
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

Great shots. I've done quite a large variety of photography over the years, but underwater stuff is always so magical to me. The turtle is absolutely winner in my eyes

Love those underwater pics...thank you Don for sharing
    ISO --> any vintage, cross-hair logo Surefire; Ku's SWM V-series 18500 tubes; PM me if you have a SPY007 XM-L2 SWGG for trade!

Flashaholic*

Awesome pics as always, Don.
    The colors never look so striking to me when I'm snorkeling - just amazing.
    Love the triggerfish - is it humuhumunukunukuapua'a? Doesn't have the traditional black band. Gorgeous though.
    And what is that winged pufferfish looking guy? Never seen anything like it.
    I can't wait to get back out there this summer, though I don't expect to see anything as fantastic as your posts.

Brrrrr...it's going down to single digits tonight. Thanks for sharing your stunning photos, I'm feeling warmer already.

Quote Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
    Awesome pics as always, Don.
    The colors never look so striking to me when I'm snorkeling - just amazing.
    Love the triggerfish - is it humuhumunukunukuapua'a? Doesn't have the traditional black band. Gorgeous though.
    And what is that winged pufferfish looking guy? Never seen anything like it.
    I can't wait to get back out there this summer, though I don't expect to see anything as fantastic as your posts.
    The trigger is a humu humu but it is called a lagoon triggerfish whereas the wedgetail triggerfish is the one typically considered to be the humu humu. I guess the hawaiians didn't differentiate between the two. The winged fish is a helmet gurnard AKA flying gurnard but since it doesn't really fly I guess some prefer the helmet name. They are not real common but there is a chance you will see one foraging in the sandy areas. One day off airport beach, I encountered three of them and they seem to be somewhat territorial.

I went out yesterday for my first attempt at whale encounters. It was looking like a bust when I realized there was a large widely scattered pod of spinner dolphin cruising by. I got in the water to watch some of them who might be close enough by. After a bit, I went to get back on the wave ski and heard whale blow real close. I looked over and saw a large dorsal among some small ones headed my way. I put my face back in the water and looked in the right direction and into view came some playful spinners followed by a pair of juvenile humpback whales. It was a quick flyby but really cool, none the less.

Excellent photos! Absolutely exquisite.

Well we are well into whale season and getting to the point that I feel the need to get out there whenever possible in hopes of an encounter. The weather this winter has been unusually challenging with relatively cold and windy and rainy conditions and then there is surf for distraction. In years past, this was the time of year I put flashlights aside for a month or so and came over to visit and focus on the whales. I selfishly admit they still take priority even though I now live here.

(it's not all about whales; but mostly....)

Amazing, as always
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Nana Re: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Don,

Spectacular as always you have acheived professional status IMHO .

Best,

Jeff
    ~ I've lived to see another sunrise ~
    ><(((•>
    ~ Kicked cancer's ass 3 times~

Hi guys,
    Still hear the whale on occasion and see one or two out there in the channel but the season is pretty much up for this year. Back to other marine life subjects again. Here's a few shots from the last few months:

Brown tang spawning in image below (cloudy water is their future offspring)

In the pic below, I had to really work the contrast and and shadows and highlights as well as mask the shark and darken it relative to the balance of the image to get a glimpse of what I really couldn't see of follow at the time with my naked eye. Essentially it was a very large and healthy shark, tiger shark by some experts evaluation, in rapid pursuit of a green sea turtle you can also barely make out. I wasn't 100% sure of what I thought I saw until I had a chance to enhance this image. The encounter was really quick, at the very limit of vision and totally unexpected in the shallow reef area! I tried to swim closer and get a better view but the action quickly went beyond my view.

Spring is not only in the air and effecting land animals but in the water and that time of year for other creatures:

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post

Spring is not only in the air and effecting land animals but in the water and that time of year for other creatures:

What's with the peeping Tom turtle at the bottom?

Very nice shots Don, what a colours!

Quote Originally Posted by Imon View Post
    What's with the peeping Tom turtle at the bottom?
    Actually he had mounted the female earlier but she swam right up to me and he bailed. In this photo, she is coming at me with her new suitor. When the surfaced, she came right up to me and he too disengaged. The the two males and this female proceeded to interact with each other while circling around and somewhat including me in the foray. I ended up leaving them and looking out from the beach a while later, I could see that one of them had made the connection. The pair could be seen floating on the surface for quite a while. The "embrace" of a pair of green sea turtles can often last for a number of hours.

Beautiful pictures! Very sharp and colorful, and nice composition.
    Here is a list of my lights.

2 months without anything new! Waaayyy Toooooo Looooong

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    2 months without anything new! Waaayyy Toooooo Looooong
    Oops!

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 LastLast