Ra Clicky vs Muyshondt Aeon

nirvanaxp

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at these two flashlights for a while and am undecided about which to get. (not both :D) I have always heard good things about the ra and am hearing good things about muyshondts. The ra seems higher end in some ways but, the muyshondt does in others. (r2 flux bin + sapphire window) I am open to suggestions about similar lights, if you have any.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
Dude, are you like smokin' crack or sumthin?

These lights are TOTALLY different. When you post a "vs." thread, there should really be some commonality. I've got a couple Aeons and LOVE 'em, so I vote Aeon. To be completely fair though, I use the Aeon for a backup or as an ultra minimalist EDC and would place a light such as a Ra Clicky in a primary user EDC role, but that's just me. You really need both (seriously) if you don't have something competitive and/or up to date.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
They're both excellent lights, and either one would serve you well. Perhaps if you share a little bit more about how you'd like to use the light (e.g. on your keychain, as an every day carry light, as a backup, etc.) we can help you weigh the pros and cons for each role.

For what it's worth, both are phenomenally bomb-proof lights made by well-respected CPF members who use high-grade materials. You can't go wrong with either of them. If your focus is size and simplicity, the Aeon's a smaller light with just two levels. (Twist for low, twist a little more for high.) If it's flexibility you're after, the Ra offers four different pre-programmed levels (including a phenomenal ultra-low), and the ability to program each level to your liking. You may also want to consider the Ra Twisty...

Good luck making your choice! I have both, and love `em to death. But as Armed Forces explained above, they're very different lights...

- FITP

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what you are looking for. As Armed Forces said they are really different.

Aeon - Twist switch, small size, easy to carry, simple 2 mode, CR2 battery.
Ra - Clickie switch, larger size, programmable fun, 4 modes with access to other modes, CR123 or Rechargeable Li-ions batteries.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I gotta say, these really are two different lights. However, let me say that these two extremes do highlight one of the reasons I have not yet purchased an RaClicky for EDC; The clicky is just a little too big.

I have several NovaTac and a couple Ra Twisty, and while the Clicky is not that much bigger, it's enough that I know I would not be able to EDC it as often.

I've got a couple Aeons, and thinking about picking up a Ti one, because for an Urban EDC it is really fantastic. Simple, high quality, reliable and beautiful. It's inside the triangle of Quality, Art and Functionality, a very nicely balanced design.

That said the HDS/Ra/NovaTac UI is the best. The new LiteFlux lights are "very" nice and very functional, but for the perfectionist the HDA programmable API is still the top dog. For this reason I'll have to get a Ra-Clicky one day.

These two lights might actually complement each other quite nicely.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, you have picked the 2 best lights available. I would definately get them both, but if I could only have one, then I would pick the Clicky because of its ability to set the levels. I EDC the Ti Aeon and the Ti Clicky and love them both!

DM51

Flashaholic
These 2 lights are very dissimilar, as others have pointed out, but they have one thing in common which overrides all other considerations - superb quality!

djj

Newly Enlightened
Here's another vote for the Ra Twisty. Just as bombproof and "quality" as the Clicky, and small enough to EDC. Mine's on my keychain. You can program the levels (0.07 lumens is my favorite), or just leave them. Either way, a simple 3-mode twisty that won't turn on in your pocket.

The Clicky is also excellent, you might want to get both.

nirvanaxp

Newly Enlightened
I need a good general purpose light that I can use everyday, my primary light. I just now realized how much smaller the aeon is. That i forgot that they used different batteries. I think I want the ra clicky or twisty now. Good information to know though, I may pick up a Aeon later as a secondary or backup.

tsl

Enlightened
I have a couple Clicky Prototypes and a couple Aeons. I have to say that since receiving the Aeon back in May, I almost exclusively use it over the Clicky. It's so much more pocketable than the Clicky due to its size, and its low level serves my uses most of the time.

That said, the Clicky does have the nicer beam (mine is the wider beam), and the lowest mode on the Clicky is great for not waking others up.

I am waiting for the wintertime and using gloves to see whether I still find the Aeon the more useable of the two.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, you have picked the 2 best lights available.
I just knew that goatee would chime in here sooner or later, and that it would be a close call for him. :laughing: To the OP, have you considered the Nautilus at all? Smaller than the Ra Clicky, bigger than the Aeon, uses a common CR123 battery. UI is same as the Aeon's, output is practically same, and runtime is amazing (something like 2:45 on high, 75:00 on low). I keychain carry mine and love it. For me at least it's the ultimate EDC. But with either of the two lights you mentioned you can't go wrong; top-notch quality all the way from some of CPF's best. ;)

photo2.jpg

paintballdad

Enlightened
I too have both Aeon and Clicky. They both are very well made on two opposite spectrums of EDC. They are probably the best in their respective form factors, so my suggestion would be.....

You want both....

You need both....

You have to buy both!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't resist throwing in a picture of my 2 favorite lights and my favorite pocket knife.. a titanium trifecta. I added the other Ra Ti Clicky just to show off a bit:nana:

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

Get both of them and you won't be sorry... in fact, buy multiples of each:devil:

I have carried the Aeon on my keyring almost the entire time that I have had it (I got it as soon as they were made available) and the Ra Ti Clicky has been in my pocket every day since I got it... Ti may scratch easily, but you would never know it:thumbsup: