• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: Ginseng's Aurura 2 *cry*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Info Here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/88620&highlight=aurora

Listing this is making me sick. I have put maybe 10 minutes of total runtime on it while it's been in my possession. Battery pack may need to be re-conditioned but should still be in good shape. comes with quire a few extra Osram 623 bulbs, In the origonal hard case, in the box the hard case came in.

Trust me, It still looks like it's brand new.

$1000 shipped ConUS, PayPal Only.

Last edited:

dhshark

Newly Enlightened
Re: FS: Ginseng's Aurura 2 *cry*

Aurora2 = Legend in the flashlight world! A shame that you have to sell it.

Good Luck!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

OMG!!! You are selling it. A big piece of CPF history there. It has got to go to someone who will appreciate it, not someone who just has money to spend. A light that should be cherished, and run and charged every so often to keep the battery pack happy, and the buyer happy. Heck I have a USL, thanks to an original owner, and I am pleased beyond words every time I turn it on, and I can only imagine the thrill that the Aurura 2 would hold, not just the power itself, but also the pleasing build, and finish.

Bill:twothumbs

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

:(

I'm very sat to see you let this work of art go! I had a chance to play with it a few years ago at the DFW get-together, and it is every bit as beautiful in person! It belongs in a museum!

Aurora2EN09text2.jpg

I'm sure LuxLuthor or Donn needs one of these!

addictedmatt

Enlightened

I have always wanted this beautiful work of art, and if I had the $ this would be mine! One day, I hope..... Good luck with the sale.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

That belongs with the" MOBY **** TRINITY"

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

That belongs with the" MOBY **** TRINITY"

Trust me griff. Had my chest been a cannon I would have shot my heart upon the white whale rather than let this go.

Shane

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Hallis, does 4 wide AA's fit in that? Also, I'm wondering if one of Jimmy's drivers would fit in it. :thinking:

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hallis, does 4 wide AA's fit in that? Also, I'm wondering if one of Jimmy's drivers would fit in it. :thinking:

By 4 wide do you mean a like basically a 16 cell parallel stack? or do you mean 4 in a square like in a quad bored D m@g host? If you mean the latter then i'm pretty sure yes. I can test it by seeing if i can slide one of my Mag623 packs in there.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

By 4 wide do you mean a like basically a 16 cell parallel stack? or do you mean 4 in a square like in a quad bored D m@g host? If you mean the latter then i'm pretty sure yes. I can test it by seeing if i can slide one of my Mag623 packs in there.

Yes, wondering if it fits 4 wide AA's and also not sure of the length in terms of how many it would fit in total. It look like image of pack in Pelican case that he had 4 stacks of 3-wide 4/5A...sort of like FiveMega's Tri-Bore Mag D setup.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Well, basically any battery pack can be made, but my thought was that 12 x NiMH these days is somewhat limiting in terms of variations.

JimmyM's driver was a project started quite a while ago with AlanB and wquiles developing a far superior completely programmable incan regulation than anyone has done thus far (with AWR's Hotdriver being a 2nd choice). AlanB did a lot of the software programming, and his product is a drop-in replacement for Mag switch, where JimmyM's is the round circuit that fits under KIU pedestal.

If either could fit in this, it would greatly enhance the future value.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

If i remember correctly, and ginseng may want to chime in on this, It uses a standard Mag type socket as the business end of it is exactly like a MagD, Hence why the FM and Mag heads are used. I didnt have time to break it out and check sizes yesterday as I had to drive all over the world running down a replacement cabinet drawer from J.C. Pennys for my brother.

Shane

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is the original "coming out" thread for the Aurora 2. The battery pack uses 12 x 4/5 A cells in a four-long, three-column configuration so you can estimate the general dimensions of the pack. It is essentially a modified Mule-type body so I believe AA will fit in a four-column configuration. I think. I'd check with js or bwaites about this. The socket is a high current socket. I don't know if a driver puck would fit in there as everything is pretty snug. The head threads are a match to the Mag D but little else is directly comparable. The battery pack is built solid, but it is not particularly intricate. Any competent battery builder could replicate it once they took it apart and studied it. It is essentially the same as the unit in my upgraded Aurora 1. Under the right circumstances, I could be convinced to build another pack or two, but it would not happen real quick.

As for future-proofing this model, it was not designed with this in mind. It was nothing more, nothing less than a signature piece. One off and unique. For me, it captured the pinnacle of the state of hotwire modding at that moment in time. As its creator, to modify this work would be to change it into something completely different from the original intent. Of course, the eventual owner could do what he wanted but I originally sold it to Shane because he wanted it for what it was, not what it could be made into. I would prefer, in that case, that it no longer be called "Ginseng's Aurora 2" as it would no longer be my creation. Sorry to be so melodramatic, but I put everything I had into this light.

Shane, I'm so very sorry you have to let this go. It took a long time for me to come around to selling it and I know what it meant to you. If I were not still in graduate school, I'd buy it back. I'd bring it home.

Wilkey

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wilkey,

I was going to buy this for you and send it back to you . . . until I saw the price tag. Sorry! It's a totally understandable price tag for such a unique and historical and beautiful light, though. No question there!

Do you still have the Smooth Operator, Wilkey? Maybe you remember that you promised me first refusal on that if you ever sell it?

Hope all is well with you my friend! Been thinking about you lately. You might be interested to know that the USL project is finally coming to a close. Another couple weeks and we'll have passed the important milestone of all lights delivered to all still-active and reachable buyers. LOL!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wilkey,

I was going to buy this for you and send it back to you . . . until I saw the price tag. Sorry! It's a totally understandable price tag for such a unique and historical and beautiful light, though. No question there!

Do you still have the Smooth Operator, Wilkey? Maybe you remember that you promised me first refusal on that if you ever sell it?

Hope all is well with you my friend! Been thinking about you lately. You might be interested to know that the USL project is finally coming to a close. Another couple weeks and we'll have passed the important milestone of all lights delivered to all still-active and reachable buyers. LOL!
Hi Jim!

I still have the Smooth Operator. I've been loathe to part with it as it's the only remaining E-nickel light I made. When I do, it'll be you I call. Funny, but recently I'd been thinking about how upgrading the pill with a modern LED might make it as potent as it is attractive.

Congratulations on the USL. My goodness that has been going on for a while. I'm glad to hear that it's reached this very important point.

Regards,
Wilkey

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Here is the original "coming out" thread for the Aurora 2. The battery pack uses 12 x 4/5 A cells in a four-long, three-column configuration so you can estimate the general dimensions of the pack. It is essentially a modified Mule-type body so I believe AA will fit in a four-column configuration. I think. I'd check with js or bwaites about this. The socket is a high current socket. I don't know if a driver puck would fit in there as everything is pretty snug. The head threads are a match to the Mag D but little else is directly comparable. The battery pack is built solid, but it is not particularly intricate. Any competent battery builder could replicate it once they took it apart and studied it. It is essentially the same as the unit in my upgraded Aurora 1. Under the right circumstances, I could be convinced to build another pack or two, but it would not happen real quick.

As for future-proofing this model, it was not designed with this in mind. It was nothing more, nothing less than a signature piece. One off and unique. For me, it captured the pinnacle of the state of hotwire modding at that moment in time. As its creator, to modify this work would be to change it into something completely different from the original intent. Of course, the eventual owner could do what he wanted but I originally sold it to Shane because he wanted it for what it was, not what it could be made into. I would prefer, in that case, that it no longer be called "Ginseng's Aurora 2" as it would no longer be my creation. Sorry to be so melodramatic, but I put everything I had into this light.

Shane, I'm so very sorry you have to let this go. It took a long time for me to come around to selling it and I know what it meant to you. If I were not still in graduate school, I'd buy it back. I'd bring it home.

Wilkey

Wilkey, I'm so very sorry I arrived on the scene as you were leaving, because I don't think anyone loves hotwire incands as much as me. I even bought a Sunstone battery pack welder to be able to make more customized packs with NiMH & Li-Ion supplies for Incands.

It is an honor to even see something bring you back to post about. I know exactly what you mean by the purity of preserving an item as it was created, and I have nothing but profound admiration for what you described (in that thread) of what you put into this light. It sounds like it represents what might be said as 'the best of the early days of CPF.' :bow: :bow: :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.