Need help with the unenlightened ... "Why can't I just buy a maglite" ?

Caesis

Newly Enlightened
How do I handle a person who suggested I buy a flashlight at the common walmart?

Should I try to convince the non-believer, or is all of society ignorant to the world of flashlights beyond maglite?

gsxrac

Enlightened
Haha well I don't know about ignorant just not very well informed. But id say just buy some high quality lights of your own. Go camping or night fishing or caving with them and show em to your buddies, thats how I got a couple of my friends into it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
sometimes walmart does sell good quality lights, besides maglite.
coleman makes few good ones, and others.
but yea most ppl i know don't know much about lights, whenever i pull out my mag with tle300, or better yet l900, they go wow, "i had no idea there are flashlights that bright", i go, " yea, you really have no idea". lol

Caesis

Newly Enlightened
Haha well I don't know about ignorant just not very well informed. But id say just buy some high quality lights of your own. Go camping or night fishing or caving with them and show em to your buddies, thats how I got a couple of my friends into it.

Problem is ... I don't have a paypal account. Heh :shakehead

Real thing Im asking is how do I convince the middleman(rents) that maglite is not the way to go?

gsxrac

Enlightened
Problem is ... I don't have a paypal account. Heh :shakehead

Real thing Im asking is how do I convince the middleman(rents) that maglite is not the way to go?

Ok heres the plan first you grab the largest m@g you have laying around the house... next you walk up to your rents... next ...:twak:!!!!!

Then you follow up with "See (Mom,Dad) if this were a 3 inch long Quark it wouldnt have hurt NEARLY as bad!"

WARNING:This WILL result in lots of :whoopin::whoopin::whoopin::whoopin: In other words dont actually do it :cool:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
One option may just be to approach them honestly, explain that you're really interested in flashlights, and ask them if they'd help you get started in a new hobby. Let them know how far flashlights have come - explain that a tiny new AA light can outshine a huge, 2D cell maglite - and then share how excited you are about this new hobby. (Heck, show them CPF, and reveal that there are 13,000 other people actively discussing flashlights!) Some of your enthusiasm's got to rub off on them. =)

- FITP

flasherByNight

Enlightened
. (Heck, show them CPF, and reveal that there are 13,000 other people actively discussing flashlights!) Some of your enthusiasm's got to rub off on them. =)

- FITP

Bad idea, they'll ship you off to some camp as it will be immediately apparent that you've joined some sort of cult :grin2:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Do NOT tell them its a hobby if theyre worried about letting you just get one! Let them know that youve been studying up on disaster awareness/preparedness and that everybody says you should always have a good high quality compact LED flashlight on your person at all times. Tell them that LED technology has come a long way and m@gs are extremely outdated technology and are very inefficent and the large C-D cell non rechargeable batteries are poluting our landfills and also would be a waste of money where as having a set of rechargeables for your new extremely efficent LED light would save you countless $$ in the long run especially if you consider all the krypton bulbs your m@g will break.

If that doesn't work... your screwed

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just do a lot of research. LOTS of research. the internet makes it so easy. the information is within your grasp. you dont need to buy a surefire. Better yet get a job. save up and buy a decent light. get a used one. and build your own.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of in the same position as you. What I've found to work for me, is to look up these lights, especially reviews, and pages that discuss warranties, as well as a smattering of beamshots, while they're in the room. Then, discuss with them the various properties of "X" light, as compared to a benchmark we all know, and love (to hate), such as M@g-Lites.

Also discuss how little output these cheap (M@g-Lites) actually have, and how, with no real multi mode design (A M@g has infinite levels of output, you just have to wait for the batteries to die first), at times you either have too much, or too little light, for whatever you're doing. Also point out that multi mode allows for both long runtimes, and high output, while being able to run off common batteries. (Make sure you also begin to look at lights that either A) take a common, recognizable battery that is cheap and available in your area, B) plan to purchase batteries in bulk, online [ie: CR123's], or C) purchase a set of high quality rechargeable batt's, and a charger. Explain that a rechargeable batt system, while initially expensive, will save you money in the long term.)

In my personal case, I decided that I wished to purchase a relatively expensive (for my family) Fenix LD20. For about two months, i would constantly point out situations where M@g-Lites just didn't cut it, and quietly begin to explain why a multi-mode light (ahem, dad, a Fenix LD20) would have been better suited to use there. When confronted with your same question, "why don't you just take my 3D mag, and use that?" I just explained that a high quality, well made, well reviewed light, with a warranty from both the company, and the online dealer (in this instance, 4Sevens, who, btw, have changed their warranty policy) would have made more sense, in the long run.
I also explained that I needed a pocketable light, that had both a long run time, and high output (neither of which any M@g has), for outdoor activities, such as hiking, Boy Scout camp, etc.

When you finally convince your parents, and are allowed to purchase the light of your choice, be sure to take your parents on a hike, or walk, with a M@g lite. then, once it gets dark enough to actually need a light, turn the M@g on, walk for a while, pretend to stumble, drop the light, and watch the bulb break. Stumble around for a few seconds, and whip out your new light, and proceed to wash the area in light. Believe me, they'll thank you.

You could also do this before, you get your light, to convince them of the need for a good light.

Just some suggestions that worked for me. Definitely point out that ordering online from a retailer such as 4Sevens can also save more money, with the CPF discount.

cfromc

Enlightened
One angle is certainly the cost of D cells vs the cost of rechargables. The rechargables will last for years but those alky's seem to go dead very quickly. Also there is the environmental aspect of throwing away all of those "disposable" batteries.

Another thing is the reliability. A lithium CR123a or AA will be there when you need it years later, a D cell usually won't. If you get a light that runs on LSD batteries you can expect the battery to retain its charge at least as long as an Alky battery, if not longer, before recharging.

Of course, it could be said that rechargables could be used in MagLites also and that is true but you will get more light output, with a better beam profile, for a longer run-time in most other lights. If you really can't break away from the Mags I suggest a MagLED in D size or AA. They are much better than the incan Mags with regard to the above criteria.

Your other option is to buy money orders and buy the lights yourself. When I was a teenager I bought a lot of stuff on my own by simply paying by money order. I even got a subscription to Playboy...but that's another story...

jankj

Enlightened
How do I handle a person who suggested I buy a flashlight at the common walmart?

Should I try to convince the non-believer, or is all of society ignorant to the world of flashlights beyond maglite?

:devil: Sorry for being rude, but the newest maglite LEDs are actually not so bad... Check out their AA size lights, which should be at a wallyworld near you.... With a little CPF search, you can smoke out which of those brands on display that are actually quite good value-for-money lights. I'm sorry, but the most basic lightning needs can be satisfied at wallyworld for a relatively small amount of money... :nana:

Of course, that is not what you WANT! We all understand that, and sympathize with your troubles. One possibility is birthday or christmas wishes...

The strategy I - as a parent, in 10 years my kids will be your age - probably would have a particular sweet spot for would be if you presented an investment plan: A fraction of whatever money you have at your disposal goes into a box/bank account/grannys mattress untill you have reached the designated sum nescessary for the light of your dreams. In particular if that saving meant you sacrificed something else you enjoy on a regular basis.

Getting some eneloops and a charger should be easy going, though. That budget is easy to demonstrate. And they will give increased performance in ALL lights, also whatever old incandescent you have lying around . . .

Mdinana

Enlightened
Go to CountyComm, contact them and ask if you can buy their Martac AAA with a check... once it arrives show it to your parents, then show them whatever Mag they want you to buy.

Point out your dinky AAA light is the same price and MUCH smaller in size.

THAT's why you don't want a Mag! (at least, that's how you sell it to them - I have a few I still love)

computernut

Enlightened
What I've done for large purchases that I want but can't justify is wait until my birthday and get my fiancee to tell all my friends and relatives to just get me gift cards at a certain store. I did that my last birthday and got my first Surefire. Worked for a new couch from Ikea and a big tool chest from Sears other years.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some guy at work told me I had more money than brains for carrying a Benchmade Mini-Grip ($65 dollars).

I just keep my hobbies to myself because I'm tired of the constant war between people who know and those who don't.

Ignorance is bliss, let them be happy I say.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the new LED maglites are decent lights, that are available anywhere, relatively affordable,durable, made in the USA. So why not for someone who is not a flashlight enthusiast.

I think you are better off saving your energy for someone who might have interest. Its like trying to convince someone to buy a Porsche 911 when all they want is a reliable toyota camry to get back and forth to work.

GPB

Enlightened
Everyone has some indulgence where they prefer a premium object over the minimum that would suffice. Whether it's Polo shirts, Starbucks Coffee, German Cars, French Wines, Audio Equipment, Knives, shoes.....whatever. I just explain that I like $100 flashlights and $15 bottles of wine, and they like the opposite....(but tomorrow I'll still have my flashlight, and they'll have pissed their fancy wine down the drain)