Surefire 6P-LED and Malkoff?

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Having just been burnt by assuming all P60 style Surefire bezels were the same, I'd like to get some confirmation before laying down more cash.

Will the Malkoff drop-in fit the Surefire 6P-LED? Not the traditional 6P with the incandescent lamp, but the newer LED version.

Thank you

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Either way, there will be a very small gap (~0.015" or so) visible between the body and the head/bezel, which is an issue only for very few (a very minor aesthetic issue, zero functional impact). The gap is necessary to insure positive contact between the Malkoff and the SF host, as there is no spring to take up the slack, specifically with regards to parts tolerance issues.

Last edited:

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Is it smaller than this gap below? This is what the Malkoff does in my L60L, which is SF's LED weaponlight host.

Also, would I have this small gap if I purchased the incandescent model (6P original) instead?

Picture001.jpg

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
you would still have the gap, it really isn't that big, hardly noticeable.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either way, there will be a very small gap (~0.015" or so) visible between the body and the head/bezel, which is an issue only for very few (a very minor aesthetic issue, zero functional impact). The gap is necessary to insure positive contact between the Malkoff and the SF host, as there is no spring to take up the slack, specifically with regards to parts tolerance issues.

That about sums it up.

you would still have the gap, it really isn't that big, hardly noticeable.

The gap is barely noticeable as stated so it shouldn't be a big deal

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will have it fit perfect, but more importantly it will leave you hooked.

Seriously; be aware that it is like a good slice of pizza and you will find it hard to just have one.:whistle:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That about sums it up.

The gap is barely noticeable as stated so it shouldn't be a big deal

These guys have always been describing it backwards and looking at the wrong aspect of it which is not important at all.

The Malkoff module has no outer spring. Its a solid brass piece as you know since you have it. In order to insure it makes solid contact to the host it has a positive interference fit. Meaning its just slightly longer than the inside wall of the head area of the host, so that when the bezel is tightened down it forces the Malkoff to seat and be held in the head to make non interruptible contact. The O-rings of the bezel to head make it a moot point as to whether or not the bezel closes down the last 15 mils or not. The more important aspect is that the Malkoff Module case has a good snug fit metal to metal with the inside wall of the case to complete the circuit that won't be intermittent during operation.

This works, its a non issue. The "gap" for some is strickly a cosmetic thing because they assume it must go down all the way. There is no seal of the bezel head metal to metal on the end, its the O-ring that provides the seal so it doesn't have to tighten that last few mils.

Your special L60L weapon light host is completely different and that can be fixed with a low budget Solarforce L2 mini as a replacement or actually a regular L2 and then you can use 3 CR123's or 2X17500's. I have actually done it so I know it works. G.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
The standard 6P and the 6P LED are the exact, same light. The only difference is between the P60 and P60L modules, which are completely interchangeable between the two 6P models.

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Your special L60L weapon light host is completely different and that can be fixed with a low budget Solarforce L2 mini as a replacement or actually a regular L2 and then you can use 3 CR123's or 2X17500's. I have actually done it so I know it works. G.

I appreciate your interest in my situation with the L60L, and I've been researching the Solar Force option based on your input. While I understand your point about the Solar Force bezel assembly working with my Malkoff, it is also clear from pictures that the threads and the tailcap area design are completely different between the L60L and the Solarforce L2 (or L2M)

Based on this, I don't understand how you can say this is a solution. The Solarforce L2 (or L2M) will not thread into the female socket of my weaponlight forend. If it did, then I might simply thread a standard 6P into my forend and be done with it. I tried that, and it doesn't work.

What am I missing?

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate your interest in my situation with the L60L, and I've been researching the Solar Force option based on your input. While I understand your point about the Solar Force bezel assembly working with my Malkoff, it is also clear from pictures that the threads and the tailcap area design are completely different between the L60L and the Solarforce L2 (or L2M)

Based on this, I don't understand how you can say this is a solution. The Solarforce L2 (or L2M) will not thread into the female socket of my weaponlight forend. If it did, then I might simply thread a standard 6P into my forend and be done with it. I tried that, and it doesn't work.

What am I missing?

I can only go by what I see. I worked with a dealer who had the SF shotgun forend replacement item. don't know the assembly model name and number but it was a replacment for a remington pump. It had a flashlight module that looked identical to yours. We could not get the Malkoff to fit it. We took the entire front part of the flashlight module that you are showing in post #4 off and I simply screwed in my Solarforce L2 host in that position. We put in 3 batteries instead of 2 and ran the Malkoff and demonstrated it. He later did some live fire testing of it to show that it would hold up and some night time fire demonstration of it to show how bright it was. The threads look the same but if you say yours are not and cannot actually screw the back end of a 6P host (not just the bezel over your original host but the entire 6P host minus its own tail switch into the back end receptacle of your weaponlight, then it must be different enough than the one I worked on. I don't know how many different type of screw threads Surefire makes for their various light systems but the one we worked on it fit in just fine. The solarforce L2 threads take all of the Surefire tailcaps and I have intermingled my Solarforce parts with 6P and C2 parts and intermingled the parts on that SF weaponlight rear end on that day. He basically turned a 2 cell light into a 3 cell Malkoff light and went from a 65 lumen incan to a 230 lumen Malkoff LED that would easily run for more than 2 hours.

If you can't make it fit I obviously don't recommend to force it. If the weaponlight doesn't meet your brightness needs I would simply send it back.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having just been burnt by assuming all P60 style Surefire bezels were the same, I'd like to get some confirmation before laying down more cash.

Will the Malkoff drop-in fit the Surefire 6P-LED? Not the traditional 6P with the incandescent lamp, but the newer LED version.

Thank you
All 6P versions are the same, there is no difference between the 6P and 6PL. Only the lamp assembly is different.