Surfire E1B clip vs E1E clip

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I know there is a lot of buzz around the E1B's two way clip. I wanted the opinion of someone who used one, is the E1B clip a secure way to carry the light in the up or down position? How does it compare to a regular E1E clip? Thanks.

zephy5

Newly Enlightened
Personally, for me, I don't think it is secure in either position. I am pretty good at losing stuff, in fact I bought my E1B as a replacement for an E1E that I had clipped to my pocket and went AWOL.

I put a split ring on the E1B pocket clip secured with a zip tie and then attached a small coiled lanyard to it. I clip the other end to a belt loop. Not pretty but it works.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the E1e clip is the more secure of the two. It has more pressure and the body has knurling.

With that being said, I love the E1B clip and hate the E1e's. But I greatly prefer bezel-down carry.

If security is your #1 priority, the E1e's is more secure.

-Robert

EDIT: Okay, I just did a little test. I tried clipping both my E1B and E1e to some PJ pants pockets and then held them upside down. Here are the results:

E1e (bezel-up): Held on to the pants the absolute best, even with some shaking.
E1B (bezel-up): It held surprising well, not not as well as the E1e.
E1B (bezel-down): It didn't hold at all. Once the pants were upside, it slides right off the pocket.

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
I suppose it depends on what kind of pants you are wearing or wherever else you plan to clip it but I much prefer the E1B's clip over the E1e's. Mine hasn't fallen out yet, though I have to admit I haven't hung upside down in a while.

I rarely if ever use the E1e clip unless I'm clipping it to my hat brim.

Mike D

Newly Enlightened
I liked the E1B clip so much that I put it on my EDC L1.:twothumbs

ypsifly

Enlightened
I edc an E1B with a Defender TC and haven't had any problems carrying bezel down. The TC makes a big difference IMHO. Provides more resistance.

I have carried an E1e clipped in the same pocket, left front pants pocket, and it has slid out of my pocket while still clipped resulting in the light dangling from my side at a weird angle that could easily lead to a loss.

Plus I HATE being limited to bezel up.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose it depends on what kind of pants you are wearing or wherever else you plan to clip it but I much prefer the E1B's clip over the E1e's. Mine hasn't fallen out yet, though I have to admit I haven't hung upside down in a while.

I rarely if ever use the E1e clip unless I'm clipping it to my hat brim.

I agree, the type of pants/clothing will make a big difference. My E1B, always clipped bezel-down, hasn't ever fallen out of my pocket when in public. At work though, sitting at my desk it has fallen out of my dress pants pocket and on to the carpeted floor more times than I can possibly count :(

-Robert

NE450No2

Enlightened
I use and carry either an E1e or an A2 daily on my place. I live in the country.

When I "go to town" I carry both of them.

I would never carry the E1e using the clip, it is too short and feels like it will fall out of my pocket. Using the A2 clipped no roblem.

I carry the E1e down in my pocket. I have used the E1e clipped to the brim of my hat when I did not have a headlight, and it works fine.

I have considered relacing my E1e for daily use with an E1L, due to its longer runtime, what are everybodies thoughts on that?

PS I use my E1e so much daily that I have burned out a few bulbs over the years.

Not complaining as I use it a LOT.