4SEVENS QUARK AA neutral white VS cool white

radu1976

Enlightened
I am wondering what's the difference in brightness between those 2 versions : 10-15% or more ?

I am very tempted to buy one , I would take a NEUTRAL WHITE due to its wonderful colour rendition but if it's 20% or more less bright than the REGULAR version , I would go with the COOL WHITE.

Any hints ?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Providing that the LED's are driven at the same current, there should be very little difference in intensity to the naked eye.

One thing to remember is that most of the time, you only see the light reflected back towards you, not the light directly from the source. Because the neutral led's tend to put out more light in ranges that reflect better off of reds, greens, yellows, and browns, the light output appears brighter to the human eye than a cool LED with the same amount of light output in most cases. Now if you're surrounded by nothing but blue and white, the case might be different.

If you plan to use the light much outdoors, you'll want to go with the neutral. Cool white led's tend to wash out colors outdoors.

radu1976

Enlightened
Thanks for the link Markduke...so if the warm tinted QUARKs are using Q3s , they must be about 20% less efficient than the COOL WHITE one which are using R2s...
Hmm...at the limit. I don't know what to choose :thinking:

Darkspark

Newly Enlightened
I personally do not find my neutral Quarks lacking...I consider them to be bright enough...and i like the way colors look with them. But that's just me.:)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would probably go with the neutral. As for just plain bright...there are other choices coming around the river bend. The neutral sort of stands alone...not really competing to be a brightness champion.

If you want bright go with the R4 Ti Quarks...35%+ brighter than the R2...state of the art...for under $100...great value.

radu1976

Enlightened
I would probably go with the neutral. As for just plain bright...there are other choices coming around the river bend. The neutral sort of stands alone...not really competing to be a brightness champion.

If you want bright go with the R4 Ti Quarks...35%+ brighter than the R2...state of the art...for under $100...great value.

R2 : 114 - 122
R4 : 130 -138

The difference seems to be 15% , not 35%. I am not sure that those extra 15% of brightness worth almost 60% extra for the price difference. even considering the titanium construction - or finish.
I guess I would go with the NEUTRAL WHITE tactical version.

Thank you for all the inputs !

Marduke

Flashaholic
R2 : 114 - 122
R4 : 130 -138

The difference seems to be 15% , not 35%. I am not sure that those extra 15% of brightness worth almost 60% extra for the price difference. even considering the titanium construction - or finish.
I guess I would go with the NEUTRAL WHITE tactical version.

Thank you for all the inputs !

Cree LEDs are binned at 350mA. However, the XP-G has less voltage droop, so a 35% increase is seen at higher currents.

radu1976

Enlightened
Good to know ! :naughty:
I have read now about the speculations on the QUARK Ti and it seems that due to the form factor of the R4 the throw could be less, hotspot larger and the sidespill - like the overall output - brighter.
Hm..till we don't have a direct comparison , we won't know the real facts :shrug:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact, it's very simple :

Neutral whites are a limited run for CPFlers mainly. That means, those who have a drawer or a cupboard full of those cool white lights get tired with them and know that the color rendition of the neutral white compensates the lack of pure output.

If you haven't enough flashlights yet, go with the cool white and bear in mind that David rates them OTF Lumens and gives minimum values, that's why a 123-2 "only" produces 190 Lumens while a similar light from another brand could easily be rated at 250 (emitter) Lumen.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't buy a neutral unless you're prepared to be instantly dissatisfied with every other LED light you have.

Xak

Enlightened
I have a cool white Quark and a neutral white Quark. It is almost indistiguishable between the 2 in brightness. You want to say the cool white is brighter (and technically it may well be) but it's hard to tell. The tint to the neutral white is AWESOME, and the light is plenty bright. I would jump on it while you can.

Palestofwhite

Newly Enlightened
The Neutral Tint won over the Lumens in this case. I just can't seem to like my other whiter, lest bluish tinted lights after getting my Neutral Quark 123. I have since sold all my lights including my T1A.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm a doctor, I'll buy the neutral white light to check on peoples skin. But i'm not a doctor so I like my light to be bright, that's why I like HID, my car have HID, my lights have cool white. When I used my light for walking, I don't want to know if the sidewalk is true color or not.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
owen said:
Don't buy a neutral unless you're prepared to be instantly dissatisfied with every other LED light you have.

+1 :twothumbs

Since swapping my D10 to a neutral emitter (1st neutral mod) I've modded more than a dozen of my own lights to Neutral, and at least 30 lights for other CPF members.

JBorneu

Enlightened
Color rendition is not the only thing to consider. Neutral and warm white tints cut much better trough fog, rain, snow, smoke and dust in the air. In most conditions, neutral white LED's perform at least as good as their brighter cool white equivalents and often much better.

Xak

Enlightened
If I'm a doctor, I'll buy the neutral white light to check on peoples skin. But i'm not a doctor so I like my light to be bright, that's why I like HID, my car have HID, my lights have cool white. When I used my light for walking, I don't want to know if the sidewalk is true color or not.

I've found the neutral is also easier on my eyes, takes less effort to recognize what I'm looking at. But, if you prefer a cooler tint the R2 is a fantastic tint compared to other cool white lights as well. Get one of each. I did. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont.

Last edited: