Ashperic Nitecore D20

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the results of my latest project :devil:

Mix:
1 fried D20
1 20mm ashperic lens
1 GD750

add some heatsinking and o-rings, pot with AA, and voila!

Looks stock doesn't it :D
IMG_1004.JPG

But it's not :naughty:
IMG_1005.JPG

Here's the custom module
IMG_1007.JPG

I potted the bottom of the driver, the brass ring is pressed in, and provides a better negative connection to the driver board. No matter what i did, I couldn't get that darn positive contact centered though :(
IMG_1009.JPG

Here's what it looks like apart.
IMG_1010.JPG

Hmmm... I should really pot the led too :sssh:
IMG_1011.JPG

Here's a couple of beamshots. I couldn't figure out how to remove the halo though :thinking:
IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool Tekno

Wouldnt worry too much about the "halo", its kinda normal
for aspheric setups ;)

andi15

Newly Enlightened
Nice Mod, could you take some comperison beamshots, for example with a stock D20?

Greetings from Germany
Fritz

Last edited:

swiftwing

Newly Enlightened
The waiting. is going to kill me. :D

I'll see what i can do with regards to beamshot comparisons, but i no longer own a stock D20, only the nicely floody SSC D20 modded by Tekno_Cowboy too.

MWClint

Enlightened
How would one open the D20 to get at the guts? Is it similar to a D10?

it's the same as the Ex10, just unscrew the bezel, remove glass and oring and it all just drops out. The led isnt glued in, so it's just the 2 wires to de/solder. be sure to isolate the slug from the heatsink when u install a new led. led+stars are already isolated, bare emittors are not.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's the same as the Ex10, just unscrew the bezel, remove glass and oring and it all just drops out. The led isnt glued in, so it's just the 2 wires to de/solder. be sure to isolate the slug from the heatsink when u install a new led. led+stars are already isolated, bare emittors are not.

I bought a D20 from 47 NC surplus sale.

Good know. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the lens at thorlabs. The prices are quite a bit higher than your typical China-made stuff, but the service is top notch :thumbsup:

swiftwing

Newly Enlightened
Some news???:poke:

+1 :)

Sorry about the lack of beamshots, been a tad busy, and being sick and all doesn't help.

Subjectively, it throws better than my 3AA direct driven MC-E mag, and since its regulated, will continue to throw that well while the mag tapers off within 5 seconds or so.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Here's the results of my latest project :devil:

Mix:
1 fried D20
1 20mm ashperic lens
1 GD750

add some heatsinking and o-rings, pot with AA, and voila!

Looks stock doesn't it :D
(snip)

But it's not :naughty:
(snip)

Here's the custom module
(snip)

I potted the bottom of the driver, the brass ring is pressed in, and provides a better negative connection to the driver board. No matter what i did, I couldn't get that darn positive contact centered though :(
(snip)

Here's what it looks like apart.
(snip)

Hmmm... I should really pot the led too :sssh:
(snip)

Here's a couple of beamshots. I couldn't figure out how to remove the halo though :thinking:
(snip)

Nice project dude, and good job with the beamshots :twothumbs

funkychateau

Enlightened
General Question

For a device such as this, would one generally go without a reflector, and just "sacrifice" the light that strikes the inside of the head but not the lens? Or, are the optics some sort of matched reflector/lens combo that gets most of the generated light out the front?

If the former, then I suppose it might be correct to say that a typical lenser light may have a more intense hotspot, but total lumens are less.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, somewhere in shipping it got messed up. It's not all that uncommon with Nitecore boards.

What I'd really like to make is something like Dereelight's "no hot spot" light. You loose output compared to some designs, but a nice bright, even light can be incredibly useful.