RIP Senator Edward Kennedy

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just heard the news tonight which came abruptly from his brain cancer. Thank you for your service and dedication to our country. RIP

Empath

Flashaholic
Xak, your post didn't survive.

You may not have noticed, but we generally post things a bit more respectable in the RIP threads made in honor of those recently lost.

You can still post your thoughts, but not in this thread. In fact, your thoughts are of such a nature that you'll need to post them in the Underground, rather than CPF proper.

Edited to add: Additional posts of the same nature will be removed without comment in order to maintain the integrity of the thread topic.

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
Wow, I have underground thoughts. Oh well. Sorry, I didn't know there were different rules for different thoughts. I've never posted in the cafe before. Are there no thought police in the underground, or is it specifically for patriots?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took me a long time to appreciate the work and goals of Sen. Kennedy.

Frankly, for many years, I just could not fathom the idea that someone of that wealth and position would actually care about the less fortunate. My perception was that it was just for "show" - I seem to have been pretty wrong on that.

While I strongly disagreed with some of his political positions, he and his family certainly seem to have their hearts in the right place.

RIP

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
While I didn't agree with a lot of his politics, he at least kept the other side honest. For that he will be missed. He was among the last of a generation of old-school politicians for whom service to their country was more important than self-aggrandisement. Sure, he made mistakes in his life but so have we all. RIP

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have nothing polite to add here. May I merely state that I disagreed strongly with many of his political viewpoints, as well as the way he went through life. I do wish him well, and hope that he can find some sort of peace, but I think it unfortunate that his name will probably be misused and abused to push through health care reform.

RIP.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Are there no thought police in the underground, or is it specifically for patriots?

I think you're getting the "thought police" confused with the statement moderators. No one is of course preventing your thoughts. Good news is, you can state your thoughts plainly in the other forum. :)

I'm from the same camp as John Galt and others on this one since I thought is political career was terrible but I do hope that his family is comforted. Loosing people in our lives is never easy no matter your "class" or status.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
While I didn't agree with a lot of his politics, he at least kept the other side honest. For that he will be missed. He was among the last of a generation of old-school politicians for whom service to their country was more important than self-aggrandisement.

+1 on that, JTR. He was the Lion of the senate, an old school fire-and-brimstone kind of guy. While I will always have a problem with the Chapaquiddick incident, I have to respect him for his hand in bringing us so many of today's benefits for the underprivliged and elderly.

The last of the Kennedy men is gone; it is truly the end of a long and colorful era. RIP sir.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
RIP, I agree on the old school politician idea. One of his best qualities was that he was one of the era of politicians that could disagree with you and still be friends with and share a drink afterward. Civility costs nothing and I believe that is what we are really losing.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wow, I have underground thoughts. Oh well. Sorry, I didn't know there were different rules for different thoughts. I've never posted in the cafe before. Are there no thought police in the underground, or is it specifically for patriots?

RIP threads are generally the domain of those who respected the person who passed away. It is considered distasteful to bring up the individual's past misdeeds. (No matter how huge or glaring they were).

Didn't see your post that Empath deleted, but it's pretty obvious what it was about. The Underground has far less restrictions. The issue isn't about Free Speech or Thought Police. It's about the very nature of a RIP thread, itself. It's a thread for those who wish to remember a person's good deeds only.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm from the same camp as John Galt and others on this one since I thought is political career was terrible but I do hope that his family is comforted. Loosing people in our lives is never easy no matter your "class" or status.
Same here and I feel comfort in the company of others who can at least say something good about someone they disagree with.

One thing about Edward Kennedy is that he stuck to his guns and as much as I oppose his views, I do appreciate his dedication to what he believed in.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I did not think highly of Senator Kenedy in his early years. I felt that he was in a position of power because his family was powerful. I was soured by the scandals.

Listening to the eulogies, he was a much better man than I thought. He did some very good things along the way. He impacted many more than I ever will. Too bad he's gone.

On the brighter side....

As we watched the TV coverage of his funeral, the commentators rambled on as the camera showed the evening skyline over Arlington.

And then there were flashes of lighting. Boy, I knew he was well connected, but WOW!

RIP

Daniel