Need something good for Traffic

Import Junky

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I work for the Local Fire Department, And the Traffic control devices they give us for night operations are a joke not to mention about as heavy as a small child. I was woundering if theres a light out there that isnt any Bigger than the Fenix TA21 with maybe a medium setting strobe function, that i can also equip a traffic wand of decent length.

I have a P2D w/ the fenix wand that i was using tonight a little bit because i think the speed on the strobe is about right for gaining attention, but also prolonging battery life.

I also have the TA30/21 and I see that Fenix is now making a Traffic wand for those. but the strobe is to fast (better than nothing i guess) in my opinion for traffic.

So what im looking for is a either 2 AA or 2 CR123 LED light with a medium output, strobe setting that flashes about the same rate as the P2D (It looks to be about 5-8 flashes per second vs the TA21 rate that i can even begin to count) that can accept a traffic wand.

As of right now im thinking im just going to buy the Traffic wand for the TA21 and see how that works. But I would like to find something about the size of the TA21 that has a better mode/wand combo for this.

Im sure there is something purpose built for this but I like the Idea of if i take the wand off I got a High quality light that can surve other purposes.

THANKS!

Toaster

Enlightened
Jetbeam Jet-III M allows you to select a strobe frequency between 1-12 hz and has a 33mm head which will fit the Fenix AD202 traffic wand.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or Fenix PD30 with wand? But no frequency selection.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet-III M allows you to select a strobe frequency between 1-12 hz and has a 33mm head which will fit the Fenix AD202 traffic wand.

+1 on that, i dont personally own a Jet III M but i do own a few Jetbeams and the ability to program the strobe is great.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you really need to have it on strobe? i have a feeling that's going to make everyone uncomfortable.

put the fenix on low setting, wave it around and I believe it'll work just as good as a traffic controlling wand at night.

curtispdx

Enlightened
I direct traffic a LOT and I really don't think strobe will be useful other than, perhaps, getting the attention of on-coming cars. (Waving the light at their direction works pretty well even though some will be FIXATED on the fire truck/police car and not pay attention regardless.)

A wand will allow you to use your light to point toward the direction you want them to go. (Well, that and your middle finger...I'M KIDDING!)

travelinman

Enlightened
The reason people pay attention to fire and police vehicles is because they have a strobe function on the light strip. They now have strobes on the backs of mirrors, and just about anywhere else they will fit.

The reason emergency vehicles have so many strobes is because strobes attract attention! That's something you want to have happen for YOU when you are standing out there on the roadway in the middle of the night directing traffic.

I'm starting to focus my attention now on the Jetbeam line specifically because they have such a great strobe function. I really like the ITP and Olight line but they seem to be steering away from strobes.

lightinsky

Enlightened
My mini mag rebel 2AA has a medium strobe and sos. Strobe is very important when you need to let others know where you are for safety. Strobe is a useful setting that is often misunderstood. It seems the feelings toward lights with strobe on these forums is ridiculed and thought of as useless. I don't agree. I think strobe is a valuable tool and should be thought of as a personal safety option if broken down on a dark road side or if you need to attract attention. Cmon cpf love strobe or come up with something better and stop bashing strobe.

Import Junky

Newly Enlightened
The reason emergency vehicles have so many strobes is because strobes attract attention! That's something you want to have happen for YOU when you are standing out there on the roadway in the middle of the night directing traffic.

Exactly what I was thinking.

The reason why I was looking at the P3D over the PD30 was it seems the older fenix's strobe slower (atleast in my collection)

Yeah sure im wearing a reflective vest, the lights on my car are flashing, the cones also flash and strobe ( Not so sure if thats a good idea, I think when theres too much going of that it makes it harder for the driver to notice you).

One thing I was going to do to the Fenix Wand is make a nice cut at the Tip to allow White light to escape, So I cant point at the driver, REALLY get his attention and then point the person where to go.

BUT sometimes no matter what you do people have their head so far up someone elses butt that it wont matter, Just have to make sure the cops up the road cite them!

Ill have to check out that Jetbeem light.

travelinman

Enlightened
Jetbeams are good lights, made well. Don't own any but have fondled them.:whistle:

As for bashing strobes, most people here on cpf seem to feel that if the strobe function is on their light, even if they don't want to use it, they have to complain.

We have a saying in flying that "you are better off being on the ground wishing you were in the air, than being in the air wishing you were on the ground".

The cpf equivalent should be, "you are better off having a strobe and wishing you didn't, than not having a strobe and wishing you did". :candle:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeams are good lights, made well. Don't own any but have fondled them.:whistle:

As for bashing strobes, most people here on cpf seem to feel that if the strobe function is on their light, even if they don't want to use it, they have to complain.

We have a saying in flying that "you are better off being on the ground wishing you were in the air, than being in the air wishing you were on the ground".

The cpf equivalent should be, "you are better off having a strobe and wishing you didn't, than not having a strobe and wishing you did". :candle:

Thats the great thing about Jetbeams I.B.S IU you can use it or not. Also change frequency to.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
about strobe bashing.

a relatively slow strobing function may catch other's attention, but a fast strobing function will only be annoying for everyone 'most' of the time.

JB's IBS UI is wonderful, have it there when you want it, and not if you don't, plus you can even set the strobe's frequency. How good is that?!
Only down side is its output/runtime efficiency. But they're working on it! =)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I direct traffic a LOT and I really don't think strobe will be useful other than, perhaps, getting the attention of on-coming cars. (Waving the light at their direction works pretty well even though some will be FIXATED on the fire truck/police car and not pay attention regardless.)

A wand will allow you to use your light to point toward the direction you want them to go. (Well, that and your middle finger...I'M KIDDING!)

I have a yellow Surefire G2 with the Red Traffic Cone.

Nice set up, I love it. I used to be an FAE years ago.

Also, I am not a big fan of the vehicle strobes, in fact I feel some of the engines and police cars over do it with all the lights. It can be confusing sometimes.

Best wishes,

RL

bob4apple

Enlightened
There is a huge difference between a slowly blinking light and a strobe.
The blinking light will get your attention- EXCELLENT! :kiss:

The strobe will get your attention AND/OR scare you, make you sick, confused, dizzy, induce a seizure, etc.- NOT SO EXCELLENT. :sick2: :eek: :barf:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a huge difference between a slowly blinking light and a strobe.
The blinking light will get your attention- EXCELLENT! :kiss:

The strobe will get your attention AND/OR scare you, make you sick, confused, dizzy, induce a seizure, etc.- NOT SO EXCELLENT. :sick2: :eek: :barf:

Hahaha!!! But that is why I love the strobe function! :twothumbs

wirehair

Newly Enlightened
Exactly what I was thinking.
If you know of a place that someone does sewing you can use the red cones off empty cotten reels as a wand. They fit on most lights with a bit of trimming and alreary have a 15mm hole in the end. I am useing one on my TK12 and it fitted perfectly and yes it is handy to have some white light comming out the end.

The reason why I was looking at the P3D over the PD30 was it seems the older fenix's strobe slower (atleast in my collection)

Yeah sure im wearing a reflective vest, the lights on my car are flashing, the cones also flash and strobe ( Not so sure if thats a good idea, I think when theres too much going of that it makes it harder for the driver to notice you).

One thing I was going to do to the Fenix Wand is make a nice cut at the Tip to allow White light to escape, So I cant point at the driver, REALLY get his attention and then point the person where to go.

BUT sometimes no matter what you do people have their head so far up someone elses butt that it wont matter, Just have to make sure the cops up the road cite them!

Ill have to check out that Jetbeem light.