Brought my 5C Mag back from the dead...

lightime

Newly Enlightened
So I have had my old 5C Mag thrown in a drawer in my shop for many years because a set of batteries had gone bad inside and I was unable to take them out.

I figured some day I would get a chance to get the bats out and reuse the light but didn't get around to it until recently. So here we are 12 + years after the light was "retired" and I spent I would say a good 3 hours or so PB Blasting, WD40-ing, hammering with rods/dowels, cursing, and yelling until I finally was able to get the batteries out...yay...but then I discovered that after I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the body, lens, etc, lubed up the o-rings...that the darn switch was bad!! I was able to find a replacement switch from another cpf member, bought and installed a terralux led and she's alive again!! ;)

I know this is not a big deal but I just got into the whole high power led thing so I'm pretty excited and thought I would share ....

DSC06633.jpg

DSC06635.jpg

DSC06636.jpg

DSC06637.jpg

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
great work...:thumbsup:
now that you know how to take the thing apart you have 1 month to figure another mod for it.....:twothumbs

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
Looks quite nice - very, very nice :thumbsup:

Congratulations!

How I wish the 4/5/6C-Series were still available (4C is still "alive" in America, though) :awman:

BTW, has anyone noticed that you still can look at the 5/6C on maglite.com? Just move your mouse somewhere under the 4C and click (http://www.maglite.com/ccell.asp) :D

lightime

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

lol...kospap, I am hoping to do some more mods. Most of the upgrades out there appear to be for the newer version mags though. I do have a bare cree xre Q5 lying around...I wonder what would happen if I replaced the led with that one?

Dark Laser, I'm not sure why they would discontinue those lights...there are obviously folks that would still buy them. I have a 3 D cell Mag as well and the 5C is not that much longer but has 5 cells and is narrower and lighter. Would be cool if they'd bring em back. Maybe we should start a petition :)

R@ndom, yup I tried to salvage my switch but the small set screw that is reached through the switch hole was INCREDIBLY jammed...I am still not even sure how I broke it loose but when it broke loose it also damaged/cracked the switch housing :(

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
I think the Cree XR-E doesn't work as well as for example a Seoul P4 with the stock reflector (donut-rings?). Maybe an OP is better for it. I'm not sure if it will be brighter than the K2 (which, I think, the drop-in is using).

lightime said:
Maybe we should start a petition :)

Good idea! Do you think CPF has the power to persuade Mag? Maybe we should start a poll!? And then the petition:popcorn:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Cree XR-E doesn't work as well as for example a Seoul P4 with the stock reflector (donut-rings?). Maybe an OP is better for it. I'm not sure if it will be brighter than the K2 (which, I think, the drop-in is using).

Interesting I was going to say that drop in looked to be a different emitter to the SSC P4 I had previously been used to, that'd be the previous K2 version I would imagine :D

Last edited: