Want a deep carry clip for your Quark? Also, a "new" Quark feature!

Would you buy a deep carry clip for your Quark? If so, how many?

• Total voters

Crimson

Newly Enlightened
I came up with a simple design for making a deep carry pocket clip for the Quark lights. It allows the light to sit further down in a pocket without having the cost of redesigning the body or tailcaps (with one exception). Another advantage is that on the single cell lights, the clip would no longer rest on the head which makes mode/battery changes easier and also prevents scratches due to the clip riding against the head/tail. The clip would rest against the body, which may allow a reversible clip on the Q123 with a different body. Enough talk, here's a very badly drawn picture:
quarkpocketclip.jpg

The clip would not need to stick out very far from the light, only 1mm or so. Just enough so that it doesn't contact the head or tail. The bottom of the clip would need to be brought "in" to rest against the body more since it would be slightly farther away, but it should be very easy to make this thing. I would love to see this come out with the Titanium lights (even though I can't afford one now) as a way to make them even more desirable. Of course they could be sold separately as upgrades for the the other Quarks too.

While I was thinking about this clip (and playing with my light), I discovered another little "feature" that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else yet. Please excuse my ignorance if I missed it or if it's just so obvious nobody feels the need to mention it :oops: With the new anodized tail caps we now have a lockout feature, I think everyone knows this by now. However, the tail can also make this light a twisty. If you just leave the switch in the "on" position, you can loosen the tail cap which will turn it off. Then you can tighten it to turn it on and change modes. I love this light, just so many ways to customize it to meet your needs :D

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
yeah. i too want deeper carry clip. ..actually deeper than that in your drawing. the button should be the only part above the pocket. or the "ring" where the lanyard holes are. (yeah really deep!)

and yeah the current clip is slowly knawing its way thru the ano already on my light. (there is obvious "shading" ring in the bezel.)

because the light it is otherwide very nice. i feel a need to carry it as edc. but because of the high riding clip position i cant trust it to stay in my pocket. so it has became the first light i own that i holster carry!

changing pants is annoying. holster is on left hip so i need to take the belt all the way out to get the holster disconnected.

xenonk

Enlightened
I've bemoaned the lack of a deep carry clip just about every time I talk about my AA Quark. That's the one thing I miss about the cheap K-106 it replaced.
Also mentioned the need for a foldover deep carry clip over in the 47s marketplace sub-forum but it didn't seem to hammer home.

edit: oh, and the tailcap lockout has been discussed at length. I'm glad they started doing that in time for my neu-tac.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid this might not happen. This subject was brought up before Quark was launched so we have to make do with it. :sigh:

I'm sorry for those who prefer deep carry, these Quarks won't work for you. We purposely designed it so the tail protrudes just a bit for easy retrieval.

Crimson

Newly Enlightened
yeah. i too want deeper carry clip. ..actually deeper than that in your drawing. the button should be the only part above the pocket. or the "ring" where the lanyard holes are. (yeah really deep!)

That was what I was going for, but unfortunately my MS paint drawing skills suck even worse than my regular drawing skills :)

The clip is my biggest complaint about this light (not that there are many) and I would love to see this clip made. I emailed 4Sevens about it last night and they said they would file it for future reference. I hope that doesn't mean the trash bin ;)

recDNA

Flashaholic
The greatest advantage to something like this would be the clip could be removable on the Q123. There is no way I can decide which version I want until I try it...then it's too late if I get the clip I'm stuck with it. (No dremmel nor talent or inclination to use one)

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should make this into a poll so there is a visual representation of what the consumers want/prefer. +1 for deep carry. I personally think that is what I hate the most about the light. The fear of it falling because of this POS design. It is not helpful, it is more of a liability than an asset. I will buy a few of these if someone ever decides to make a durable 3rd party clip. 4SEVENS... ever wonder why everyone always praises the D10 clip after they go through hell putting it on.... BECAUSE IT IS DEEP CARRY! :wave:

Last edited:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do they not make this option available for the regular models (deep carry) and leave the protruding on the tacticals.... since it sounds like to me... this is a tactical feature... :poke:

xenonk

Enlightened
I'm afraid this might not happen. This subject was brought up before Quark was launched so we have to make do with it. :sigh:
Yeah, I read that bit and that's one point where I disagree with his assessment. A flashlight body of this size is fat enough that there's really no issue grabbing it while low in the pocket. The 'ol K-106 posed no problem whatsoever in this regard, and the Quark is even easier to grab because it has much better knurling.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a deep carry clip was available I'd buy an AA Quark just to install it on. Would be nice if it could work with the 1x123 as well.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's one of the main reasons why I don't own any Quark. It needs R4 and Ti to break that decision. :duh2:

Crimson

Newly Enlightened

Hopefully he will change his mind if he realizes that a lot of his customers would buy quite a few of these things. The customer is always right after all.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying my QAA for the last couple weeks. I really like the light, and at least the clip is strong and hasn't almost fallen out yet. But, I would also prefer it deeper.

Crimson

Newly Enlightened
edit: oh, and the tailcap lockout has been discussed at length. I'm glad they started doing that in time for my neu-tac.

The tailcap lockout I've seen before. I haven't seen anybody mention that it will allow the light to be used as a twisty. I just hope that's not so obvious to everyone but me that nobody has mentioned it.

adnj

Enlightened
With the popularity of the quark, I am guessing that it will only be a matter of time before someone presses out 1000 of these for aftermarket sales.

I also noticed that the Ra Ti is offering the 3 aftermarket Ti clips as options. That was a smart move.

Last edited:

Crimson

Newly Enlightened
Tell your friends about this poll! I would really like to see this get enough responses to act as a sort of petition to 4Sevens.