When we get a 6000 lumen light with this LED???

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never. Unless you have something like this to keep it cool:

cryogenic.jpg

ichoderso

Enlightened
liquid nitrogen is the best for cooling, I think:thumbsup:

but for some minutes, I think, it's possible to use such a light without this....!??

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The amount of heatsinking required to cool that LED at full output would not be practical. If you want 6,000 lumens, get a 55 watt HID instead. It will have a much better beam, since the light source is a small arc, not a large die or multiple dies (dice?) grouped together. Some things were simply not meant for handheld flashlights...

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure you will get more "lumens" of output if you use a mixture of the Argon and Oxygen, just need one little extra additional spark to get the "light" started. :oops::poof:

and if you actually wanted to get your 6000 lumen flashlight working you only need an 86 watt power source.

This is beyond ridiculous squared.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is easy, anyone can do it, just get 6 1000lm lights and duck tape them together, problem solved, lol.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure you will get more "lumens" of output if you use a mixture of the Argon and Oxygen, just need one little extra additional spark to get the "light" started. :oops::poof:
Maybe you know something I don't but seeing as argon is extremely inert I find it difficult to see how that and oxygen plus a spark will create any :poof:. In fact it is used as a shielding gas for welding so if it had the propensity to :poof: when combined with oxygen and a spark I would be in some serious trouble as I have all of the above outside.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you know something I don't but seeing as argon is extremely inert I find it difficult to see how that and oxygen plus a spark will create any :poof:. In fact it is used as a shielding gas for welding so if it had the propensity to :poof: when combined with oxygen and a spark I would be in some serious trouble as I have all of the above outside.

Thinking of the wrong gas you are right. I only looked at it quickly. I was thinking of acetylene which I believe would still make a better "flash" light than this monstrosity.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
argon displaces o2 in the air, if you got a leak you wouldn't know untill you stop breathing, in a closed space that is

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang all the pessimism... that LED is SWEET! ...

thanks for sharing... its totally possible to keep it cool... i'll go to the extremes to see to it dang it!

:popcorn:

lolzertank

Enlightened
It shouldn't be that hard to keep a 100W LED cool assuming active cooling is not out of the question. Many modern quad-core CPUs generate well over 100W of heat and people manage to keep them below 60 Celsius with $50 CPU coolers. We only have to keep the LED below 150 Celsius and there's less heat.

On the other hand, focusing that beast will be extremely difficult.

bkumanski

Enlightened
What do they use as coolant in high-end computers?

Mountain Dew, at least that's what it looks like...

No, really, its an alcohol based coolant. Some may even use real ethelene glycol (like in cars). They are sealed though. They really have too many lines and surface area to be practical...for now. I know the computers in our patrol cars have some kind of heatsink on the rear that feels like a metal, but it really pulls the heat out, almost as if it were active, but its not. They do have some materials, exotic to be sure, that can really pull the heat. Alloys of some sort.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It shouldn't be that hard to keep a 100W LED cool assuming active cooling is not out of the question. Many modern quad-core CPUs generate well over 100W of heat and people manage to keep them below 60 Celsius with $50 CPU coolers. We only have to keep the LED below 150 Celsius and there's less heat.

On the other hand, focusing that beast will be extremely difficult.

They had the luxury of using a fan and a lot off surface area by making really thin but dense areas of copper fins. Try doing that with a flashlight, it won't look pretty and with fins that thin all it takes is one drop to deform it especially with a soft metal like copper.

What do they use as coolant in high-end computers?

It's just a coolant mix just like in your car. Except since you don't have temperature extremes so you don't need as much alcohol. It's really just there for color and biological reasons.

No, really, its an alcohol based coolant. Some may even use real ethelene glycol (like in cars). They are sealed though. They really have too many lines and surface area to be practical...for now. I know the computers in our patrol cars have some kind of heatsink on the rear that feels like a metal, but it really pulls the heat out, almost as if it were active, but its not. They do have some materials, exotic to be sure, that can really pull the heat. Alloys of some sort.

It's likely a heat pipe that's back there. You don't need exotic metals to be effective at moving heat. A copper heat pipe is pretty hard to beat. The only things I can think of that can beat it in heat management would be silver and diamond but with huge cost disadvantages.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
do I understand that correct?

these are quad-dies, totally the same as MC-E or P7
(four die, running at 3.2A = 800 mA per die)

but give three times the output (2500 lm vs. 800)
:thinking:

why dont we all use them, then?

Freeze_XJ

Newly Enlightened

Ethylene glycol? Doesn't flow that well, and doesn't beat water for heat capacity (few things do, actually). It's good as addition to prevent freezing though.

Most hobbyists use water (with some additions some claim have magical properties :grin2:) and serious professional stuff are usually some kind of fluorocarbon thingy.

For a nice neat light though, i'd go with an old computer heat sink, add a fan, and run it. Once you get the heat off the LED(-array), it's easily dealt with.

Using and focussing the light would be the problem, as larger arrays are hard to form into a nice beam (see the reflectors on multi-die-lights), and using it as a floody doesn't attract me.
I'll stick to a nice MC-E for the time being :p

@Yellow: This thing is bigger (6x6mm instead of 4x4mm of an MC-E), eats 12V @ 6A, and some more differences ;)

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
6000lumen is just the theoretical max output right?
what happen if flashlight manufacturers under drive it?
how would that turn out? (im not electronic expert)

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
It won't be long before similar technology finds it's way into flashlights.

Latest posts