Problems with U2 clip?

jugg2

Enlightened
Hey everybody, I recently bought a SureFire U2 (really awesome light by the way), and I have only one complaint...

The little black plastic "button" i guess you would call it keeps coming unsnapped from the wire clip whenever I slide it down to clip on my pants.

Without this button the clip is useless because the gap between it and the body is too big. So I tried tightening the wire up, but it is spring steel so that didnt work. I thought about using some epoxy to make it stay, but i finally just pulled it out and used some paracord to wrap/weave around the end to tighten up the gap and it works great! Now i dont have to worry about it coming off, and it holds just as good as with the button.

I found it odd that this has never been mentioned before, or maybe I just got a defective clip...

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree the clip was a complete after thought with a light like the U2... call surefire, that 'button' shouldn't be sliding

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm not aware of the 'button' of the U2/K2/EW-04 coming loose being reported here before. Based on my experience here and personally I suggest there is something strange going on with your specific individual U2 clip rather than the design itself.

Have you tried removing the clip and using more force to either tension the button retaining area, or how tightly the clip presses against the body.
It's a tight fit to remove the black plastic shroud from the U2 body but it can be done.

The clip has been carefully designed - it is not an afterthought. I happen to really appreciate it and wish that more SureFires used this style clip.

You could try giving SureFire a call to find out what they suggest?

Al

greenLED

Flashaholic
None of the U2's or K2's I've had ever had this problem. In fact, that button is usually a pain to remove. Sounds to me like the clip on your U2 was bent out of shape at some point, even if ever-so-slightly.

jugg2

Enlightened
Very interesting... I tried removing the button and squeezing the narrower part that usually holds it in together, but the steel is very springy, so it didnt really do anything.

I guess I could call SureFire, but I actually like the way the paracord looks now so i will probably leave it like that. I may give them a call just to let them know what happened incase there is some problem they need to watch out for.

I'll see if I can get a picture of it to show yall.