SpiderFire P7 Review

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened
First of all, sorry this isn't in the "Reviews" section. For some reason I don't have rights to post a thread there. Can someone explain...?
Anyways, I got the light from DealExtreme. Packaging was ok, it was just bubble wrapped in a small rectangular box (sorry no pics). It seemed
pretty tight, and no scratches on the light, so I'm happy. :twothumbs

P8200338.jpg

Pros:

-First impressions were good, worked right out of the box

-Aluminum reflector feels solid

-Emitter is centered (pic)

-long battery life on high and low

-can tailstand

Cons:

-reverse clicky is sort of a con, because I still really like the momentary off

-directly driven, so it gets pretty hot off fresh batteries on high

P8200298.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

SC2.jpg

Anodization is perfect, with only one microscopic flaw.

3.jpg

The head doesn't unscrew, just the crown, which holds the glass and reflector in. The crown isn't too sharp, definately not enough to cut you
(which is a good thing in my case). But you could probably use it for breaking glass.

TakenApart.jpg

The light has a nice finned heatsink, with an anti-roll bezel. It also came with good wrist lanyard, which appears to be pretty good quality.

Wrist.jpg

The glass lens is nearly invisible. Probably not the best considering it's from DX, but it's really clear. The knurling is good and makes it easy to
grip.

P8200351.jpg

Standard reverse tail clicky.

Clicky.jpg

Machining looks sharp.

1inch.jpg

I'm also impressed with the printing, as it is perfectly sharp on both sides.

Writing1.jpg

Writing2.jpg

Here's a pic of the emitter, WAY stepped down:

ECO1.jpg

ECO2.jpg

Output is good-not as stated, of course-but still impressive. Based on what I've seen, and on ceiling bounce, I would guess 600-700 lumens OTF. The low mode looks to be about 80 lumens. The is probably the smallest SSC light on the market, as it puts out at least 600 lumens from a light less than 6 inches. This makes it very easy to impress people. :D Although, it can also lead to heating problems.

The beam pattern is great, with no rings or spots.

Stepdownbeam.jpg

P8200341.jpg

I don't have any comparisons besides the 3D Maglite at the moment, so this will have to do. This is adjusted so it looks like what I saw.

SC1.jpg

PB3.jpg

PB1.jpg

100_3210.jpg

100_3212.jpg

PB2.jpg

Absolutely no donut on the white wall, unless you turn it on low and get about an inch away from the wall. Removing the reflector turns it into a big solid circle. Low mode without the reflector is perfect for reading. This picture also shows the color the best (neutral/vanilla tint).

P8200287.jpg

Very floody. If you are looking for a flood light, this is good, but it only reaches to about 300-400 ft, completely lighting up the area 50 feet across. It has a deep OP reflector, so it's mainly flood with a hotspot in the middle (perfect transition!). Sometimes instead of holding the light I just set it down 15 feet away from me, as it it lights up the entire yard. =D Ceiling bounce:

Ceiling.jpg

The UI is ok, it's click high, click low, click off. No mode memory.

Again, the size is great. I use it as an EDC, as it fits into my pocket pretty well.

That's pretty much it, hope this helped.

Sorry about some of the pictures; the camera was on ISO3200 so I wouldn't have to use a tripod.

Last edited:

reneki

Newly Enlightened
Nice review! I got mine a little while ago as well, got to say it's pretty nice, getting 2.8-2.9A from tail cap, so for first couple of minutes expect max lumen + lots of heat. I'm going to try and get a driver in there next.

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I didn't know there was a size limit. I tried to make them just big enough to fit on the screen. The light seems to get not so hot after you've used it the first 30 minutes. And for the carpet... It is right next to the dog bed. :eek: Maybe I should just remove that part. :D

Also what do I have to do to post in the reviews section?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nice one!!! I have the Ultrafire C2-Type III version of this light with the XR-E. Its an OK light, but the switch cap design stinks. Took some DIY mods on my part to eliminate a bad flicker condition.

I don't think there is any set rule for what qualifies for the reviews section. But the threads that do get moved seem to have some commonalities...
-Run time plots, or at least some detailed explanation of how the light output behaves as the cell depletes. How well does it stay in regulation...etc.
-Current draw measurements
-Drive current measurements
-Cell types used
-Emitter color and Flux BIN
-Lots of beamshots, indoor, outdoor, white wall, foliage...comparing several common CPF lights. Distance beamshots are always welcome to illustrate the throw distance.

Its not a rule, but generally they like to see reviews written by forum members with a very active post count and history of participation. So that way the reviewer is more likely too post follow up questions and answers. IMHO its a privilege to be a CPF reviewer, the reviewer should feel a certain sense of obligation to follow the review thread and answer any questions that come up. I submitted my RC-N3-Q5 review over a year ago... still to this day I am getting PMs on it:thumbsup:

Generally most threads discussing DX lights get moved to the Bessybenny thread.

Last edited:

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened
Ummm... I don't think my thumb is double jointed...

I don't have any fancy equipment for measuring runtime graphs, sorry. And the tailcap does flicker a tiny bit the first couple seconds, but I can only tell indoors. Also, I thought I had broken it for a while. But I think mine is slightly defective because you have to screw it in JUST RIGHT, or it doesn't close the last quarter inch and it won't turn on. :shakehead

woody321

Newly Enlightened
Is the LED/slug removable on the Spiderfire SSC P7? It looks like it may be pressed in rather than screwed.