What to purchase.... Next

tolkaze

Enlightened
Hi, I'm new to posting in the forums, and thanks to all of you here, I am now totally and utterly hooked. So I am looking for some advice on what to buy next. I have read a lot of reviews of products, I have read many product spec sheets, I love beamshots... but seriously, there is a lot of information to digest here.

Currently my line up includes all the usual cheap knockoff incan torches that you seem to acquire over the years, but recently I have been making some better purchases.

First up, was my LL P7 (I know... stop laughing, i know my mistakes now) but I was fascniated... so of course, I got myself a Malkoff P4 drop in for my 4D maglite... very impressed, quickly followed by an MD2 with an M60 in it. Apart from that, I have a couple of minimags with LEDs in them.

What I am looking for is another bright torch, something which is a bit more aggressive, with good throw, good all round reviews, and smallish (maybe 2xcr123's or 1x18650) with forward clicky, probably tactical. So far I have the EagleTac T20C2 in mind, its about what I want, but would prefer some opinions, or possible substitutes.

Oh yeah, and finally, living in Australia, so exchange rate is up and down. Looking to spending about US$80 - US$90 not including postage. Happy to buy overseas.

Advice please?

Edit: Also looking at the Olight M20 or similar.

Last edited:

JBorneu

Enlightened
In my opinion you need a good AA cell light (Nitecore Defender Infinity!). You won't always be able to get CR123's for a reasonable price, especially when travelling, and althought you pack spare cells, you won't always have enough. Whatever happens, you'll probably be able to find at least one AA cell.

The Led-Lenser P7 is actually a pretty good light, regardless of what some might say. The old Led-Lenser line was bad, the new line is pretty good. Maybe still a bit overpriced and the manufacturer's specs are nowhere near reality, but Led-Lenser is the only manufacturer with such a good focussing lense system.

For the bright "agressive" light: Check out the Solarforce lights. They are Surefire 6P clones (compatible with your malkoff dropin) which can take 18650 cells. The great thing is that all surefire accessories from different manufacturers fit. And they come with a crenelated bezel and you can order a forward clicky. When new LED's come out, instead of buying a new light, just buy a new dropin and you're set. Wanna try warm tints? Buy a dropin. Want a different switch? Buy the switch. Want modes? New dropin or new switch. Weapon mount, bike mount, diffuser, lantern ... all available.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
I prefer my Dereelight DBS V3 3SM R2 WH for a light with throw, though it may be a bit out of your price range.

It also has the luxury of being able to merely change the pill out to have an entirely different light.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Yes, although the starting price of the Deerelight is higher than your intended budget, the modular and upgradable design might make it a sensible choice. With an R2 module, it is an awesome thrower, and with a textured reflector and MC-E module it will produce a bright floody wall of light.

tolkaze

Enlightened
In my opinion you need a good AA cell light (Nitecore Defender Infinity!).

You make a good point, I will definitely start looking for an AA or 2AA flashlight. I am very happy with the performance of my 123's, but yeah, they are a bit pricey, and 18650's are practically non-existent here (have to order them in, and even then, we can't post them any more)

Was also considering a solarforce, and more dropins, but was going to give my M60 in the MD2 host a couple of weeks to let me find out what I want from a dropin (i.e. throw/flood, power etc)

The Dereelight DBS V3 3SM R2 WH looks pretty tasty, i could probably save up a bit more and go down that path in the future. Very capable thrower by the looks of it.

Will keep reading (hundreds of) posts and reviews

tolkaze

Enlightened
Okay, I am dedicated now to getting the EagleTac T20C2, But I have a dillemma, I don't know whether to go the Cool white, or Neutral White...

I know I will be happy with the cool white, but availability at the right price is a bit of a problem at the moment. Do I wait?

or

how much different is the neutral white... I would probably be happy with it, but I just don't know, I have never held one before... plus there is the lower Lumen output... arrrgh

elwood

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I am dedicated now to getting the EagleTac T20C2, But I have a dillemma, I don't know whether to go the Cool white, or Neutral White...

I know I will be happy with the cool white, but availability at the right price is a bit of a problem at the moment. Do I wait?

or

how much different is the neutral white... I would probably be happy with it, but I just don't know, I have never held one before... plus there is the lower Lumen output... arrrgh

I have no first hand knowledge but from what I am told, the difference between the cool and warmer tints is not noticeable to the naked eye. But the warmer tints render colors a lot better.

If you decide to change your mind about the EagleTac, checkout the Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor. It's about $10 to $15 over your budget but, supposdly, it will outthrow the the EagleTac by quite a bit. It's also available in warm tint which is what I am going to get if I decide to buy it (deciding between it and RRT-1). I think the warm tint is only available at bugoutgearusa.com. Don't forget to use the coupon "cpfjet". I'd get the link for you but I'm on my phone with a crappy signal.

Good luck!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650 over anything else ... good!
best size/output/power/cost effecticve cell atm

cool white / neutral white --> DEFINITLY neutral
(You notice how everyone ever seen a "warm" white, loves it? So why go for blue white (= cool))

if I see that correct, the Eagletac is a 2-hand operation?
Check a Jetbeam Jet III Pro Ultra, better in any respect (programmable three level output, single hand operation) and similar priced.