Stupid question =\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
Stupid question =\\

Well... gets me mad. you always find me talking about my ARC AAA LE. but... I'm concerned for it's life more then my own! I dont want it to dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. but all thing do. But fortunately for non-living things, they can be rejuvinated (think of a NiMH battery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) I want to know how to remove the LED from the light, so i can remember how to, and in the future, operate on it. Is there any way i can pay an amount for a lifetime warentee? or get insurance? =\ i think not. :\

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
Re: Stupid question =\\

I think your ARC has a lifetime warranty....
Of course this could mean that it expires
when the light does...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i believe it is a 10 year warrenty.

it is completely potted in epoxy...
a cpfer who no longer comes around said he did a transplant, but there was no proof...

Darell

Flashaholic

Yeah, somebody long ago said that he replaced the LED. WAY not worth it even if I thought it would be possible.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know I love to strip stuff naked.. I strip my AAA head immediatelly when I have flicker problems.

The AAA is built as tough as a tank, the epoxy is as hard as cement. I find it hard to believe the person who actually changed the LED unless his AAA uses soft type epoxy. Else it would take a 99yrs experience archeologist to carve out all the epoxy on my AAA head.

Do this and VOID Your Warranty!
To remove the innerts, you simply use a dremel, file/cut away the bottom crimp(remember to remove the foam first), then you will see the circuit board sides. Place your AAA head on a bench grip with the LED facing up, find a 4-5 mm metal rod. A nail is a good candidate, use it inverted. Place a small piece of rubber between the LED and the nail head to protect from crushing the LED. Hammer the inverted nail until the LED assembly pops out of the AAA head.

If roll crimp method fails, this will fix your aaa head permanantly(Works for me). The orange paint is a conductive paint. Usually sold in automobile shop. Used to repair car rear windscreen defogger wires. Paint it between your head and circuit board. The head below had the roll crimp filed off.
fix3.jpg

I don't see the reason for taking apart the AAA head unless you are as curious as me, and losing that 10yr warranty is a risk.

Vince.

Polar_Hops

Enlightened

I'll try AFTER the warentee is up. maybe the epoxy will be softer by then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vince, that tortured Arc head's just too much to bear...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why don't you guys use acetone to dissolve the epoxy? Isn't acetone the solvent for epoxy. I don't think it will hurt the electronics if they are solvent resistant.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

True Tom, True, who's ready to risk it?!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Just a question, aren't alot of board materials like G-10 solvent resistant?

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned

The PCB is likely resistant, as are the metal objects, but are the tiny parts, such as epoxy casings of ICs and such?

Since I don't know what is buried in the Arc AAA epoxy, I don't know how many of the whatevers in there might also dissolve ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

I'm willing to watch someone else do it, of course ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

tomsig03.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

My AAA head is not totally filled with epoxy. I can see a bit of electronics through a bubble hole. I have thought of using solvents to dissolve it but I haven't got any. It would be a waste if it doesn't work. Once I get my hands on one, I will test dip some semiconductors and plastics before I drown my AAA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Choua - you won't know how far the aaa head's been before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was in that situation before I dissected it. It actually works MUCH better after the operation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

More to come after my exams.
Aren't the LEDs made of epoxy casing?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Vince.

Tomas

Banned

Just a wild thought, but if any of the Arc "competitors" were extremely interested in the innards of an Arc AAA head, don't you think they've already tried this little experiment?

Maybe we should just ask them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.