Quark Upgradability

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
For those who will criticize me, I want to say that I have SEARCHED and SEARCHED and SEARCHED for two hours now, but I cannot find the answer that I feel certain is out there. Too many variable search terms, and WAY too many 'replies' to the various Quark posts.

Anyway, has anyone determined if the Quarks (in particular, the 2x123) are amenable to a do it yourself LED upgrade in the future? Is the LED accessable, removable, upgradable?

You see, I want to buy a Ti Quark, and I know that it has the absolute newest, bestest LED available today, but if I buy a Ti torch, I want to be able to upgrade it time and time again over the years. I don't want to be faced with selling it as soon as a more efficient LED becomes available.

Thank-you to anyone who can point me toward my answer.

Frank

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Thank-you very much for this answer.

This is disappointing, especially knowing 4-7's target customers, but it will be good for his business, I'm sure.

Again, thank-you for your help..................Frank

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took apart a single 123 Quark to take the clip off. It came apart easily with strap wrenches. The LED is on a 13mm PCB that is epoxied to the heatsink. On top of that is a plastic cover that centers the emitter to the reflector. Piece of cake. :grin2:

Edit; Correction, it's not epoxy but thermal compound, the PCB can be moved with my fingernail.

Of course you know by posting this I void my warranty. If my light dies, a collection will have to be taken up by the people who have profitted from this info to replace my light. :)

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics

flashlights002-2-1.jpg

flashlights001-1-1.jpg

gunga

Flashaholic
Sweet, thanks Nake.

I figured as much because the design was basically very similar to Fenix, so it's not surpising that the head construction is similar.

So, any one know a good source for warm XP-E's on boards? Is it just cutter, or anywhere else?

I could always put one of these in a Ti Quark, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of getting XP-G...

:grin2:

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thank-you Nake!

I appreciate you sharing this with us, and if you have trouble with your light, I will gladly contribute to your collection if you contact me. Fair is fair.

Again, thanks............Frank

Latest posts